• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Martini Mix Off

beans

The big day is here and the Martini Mix-Off finalists are getting ready for the big gala event Friday night. The judges have tasted and sipped 36 martinis, sampled 12 plates of scrumptious dishes and made their choices. I have said it before and I’ll say it again: This has been an endurance test and it will take the entire month of June for my liver to recover.

:rolleyes:

These sorts of bartender competitions are big fun. When I lived and worked in Put in Bay, we had an annual Bartender Olympics that was comprised of multiple tests/heats/competitions. An original drink was of course a part of this, but each year the judges placed various stipulations, i.e. using only four ingredients. This was a really big deal for both the bartender and participating restaurant. (oHIo each bar must serve food by law, so we don't have anything that is only a "bar") It was a complete event: opening ceremonies with the parade of each team's float, lighting of the beer keg fashioned olympic torch in the center of town and yes, the awarding of various medals.

Ah, the memories. :cool:

Back to the article! Some interesting combinations for that sexy, Martini. The font may not load up so well (or is that only my computer?), but an easy cut and paste worked nicely enough for a nice print out for borrowing and sharing the enjoyment of the contestants' creative cocktail efforts.

The article can be viewed in full here.

Cheers!

Edited by beans (log)