• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mama Dip's of Chapel Hill, NC

She has been on The Food Network, written a cookbook, and runs the "ultimate" southern cooking restaurant in Chapel Hill: Mama Dip's

The cookbook starts with a brief story of her childhood, her family, and her restaurant's beginnings. Her brothers and sisters nicknamed her "Dip" because she was very tall (6'1" today), and her long arms could reach way down into the rain barrel to scoop up a big dipperful of water.

Has anyone been there and if so, what were your impressions of the food?

What is your favorite food in the category of true southern cooking??

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Over-rated

Clap Clap

Clap Clap Clap

The food or Mama Dip?? :rolleyes:

The food - never met Mama Dip.

I think the problem is consistency. I've been there 3 times, and sometimes what you order is good, other times it's not - even if it's the same dish. I bet there's a local place that does Southern style food better with more consistent results - but I'm not the one to ask about that.

btw...my chant was inspired by the Hockey game :)

They play that music constantly.

The last time I was in there:

Fried Chicken

collards

mashed potatoes

appetizer of fried green tomato

it was damn good. They do shuffle a hell of a lot of people in and out of there -- tourists, students, the ladies-who-lunch crowd -- so I can see that it might come across as inconsistent.

That said, they're playing the whole Southern Card, obviously. And a lot of the visitors don't seem to be able to tell the difference. I think it depends on who's cooking.

Timothy C. Davis

Charlotte, NC

timothycdavis@earthlink.net

www.themoodyfoodie.com

www.cln.com

www.southernfoodways.com

If you really want to sample Southern cuisine, skip Mama Dip's, and head over to North Raleigh to a restaurant called "The Forks", (because of it's proximity to a fork in the road. Best d@mn home cooking ever. It's an old gas station, made into a restaurant. Little old ladies cooking in the kitchen. You look in through an opening and give them your order. Meat and two with drink for less than $6.00. Only serve lunch. Dining room is full of big tables covered with red-checkered grease cloth. You will be setting elbow to elbow with a mix of bankers, construction workers, and everything in between.

Good food, and a good cookbook. She's not afraid to use plenty of the good stuff in her cookin'.

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Where in North Raleigh is "The Forks"?  Also, I heard Rachael Ray was at Mama Dips last week as part of her "$40 a day" show.  Anyone know where else she went?

Forks Lunchroom is in Wake Forest on Falls of the Neuse Rd.

Rachael Ray also visited:

Caffe Driade

Elmo's Diner

Barbecue Joint on Weaver Dairy Road.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

We've been to Mama Dip's twice so far. My husband likes it. I think it's every bit as good as Cracker Barrel. :hmmm:

The sweet potato biscuits are pretty good, as far as that goes. I would try it again, but I would not have high expectations.

I went to school at UNC-Chapel Hill, and used to eat at Dip's original location at least once a week. Mildred Council (Mama Dip) herself is one of the nicest people in the world. All of the college students who ate there used to get a little extra mothering for free.

On a recent visit home, I went there for lunch. I thought it was uneven at best and didn't match my youthful memories. Mama Dip was nowhere to be found, but maybe she was taking a day off.

Her cookbook (University of North Carolina Press) is totally brilliant stuff, though, and well worth buying.

enrevanche <http://enrevanche.blogspot.com>

Greenwich Village, NYC

The only way to keep your health is to eat what you don't want, drink what you don't like, and do what you'd rather not.

- Mark Twain

I think that most folks agree that Dips has not been the same since they moved. I used to love hanging out at the old place during my extended educational tour of Chapel Hill. Bigger is rarely better when it comes to quality. And I agree about the cookbook, too.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites