• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Just got my new recipe book "Sweet & Savoury Malay Kuih" by Norzailina Nordin. :smile::biggrin:

Only one problem....wonder WHICH rice flour she means when she mentions "rice flour" in her recipes!

Raw ordinary rice dry-ground into flour? (Not glutinous rice flour cooked or raw, and not a flour which is made from wet-ground grain later dried...right??!)

Recipes which just say "rice flour" are apam tepung, tepung pasung, sagon, buah tanjung, kekoleh lemak...and many others. She does mention glutinous rice flour elsewhere, though she doesn't mention whether she means the cooked type or the uncooked type.

Hints, please?

Just got my new recipe book "Sweet & Savoury Malay Kuih" by Norzailina Nordin. :smile:  :biggrin:

Only one problem....wonder WHICH rice flour she means when she mentions "rice flour" in her recipes!

Raw ordinary rice dry-ground into flour? (Not glutinous rice flour cooked or raw, and not a flour which is made from wet-ground grain later dried...right??!)

Recipes which just say "rice flour" are apam tepung, tepung pasung, sagon, buah tanjung, kekoleh lemak...and many others. She does mention glutinous rice flour elsewhere, though she doesn't mention whether she means the cooked type or the uncooked type.

Hints, please?

When a recipe calls for rice flour, unless they specify "GLUTINOUS RICE FLOUR", or "NOT glutinous rice flour" then I use "ordinary rice flour" I buy these pre-package in Asian stores and they are clearly marked as just "Rice Flour" with the red label, or "Glutinous Rice Flour" with the green labels.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Correct.

example

Find the finest and purest you can find.

Sagun .... brings back memories. Nobody makes sagun nowadays.

You can e-mail her if you have any specific questions. I have a link to her (publisher's) website on my foodblog. She has a Q&A page on there.

Edited by kew (log)

You can e-mail her

That's a point! But there are plenty of recipes I can try out before I run into major problems!

Thanks all!

I think I will try a new product called Riz Farine, which is more finely ground than most standard rice flours used for dumplings here. It's so long since I used the Chinese type of rice flour that you show, Dejah, that I can't remember how they compare to the Japanese ones.

There are several recipes for raw tapioca root - grated and deepfried in balls or baked in cakes, or chunks boiled and served with syrup. I'm very curious to try these but I would have to substitite one or a mixture of taro,yam, or sweet potato - any suggestions?

[There are several recipes for raw tapioca root - grated and deepfried in balls or baked in cakes, or chunks boiled and served with syrup. I'm very curious to try these but I would have to substitite one or a mixture of taro,yam, or sweet potato - any suggestions?

If we could have the names of the dishes perhaps we could offer some suggestions?

We have so many confections using cassava (tapioca root?) - raw, cooked, baked, fried - endless possibilities! I'd be interested in names & recipes.

I found this pastry last night and can't quite figure it out - it's called loh pho phiang. Very flaky, and has a filling made from a preserved, red fruit.

gallery_11814_148_34587.jpg

gallery_11814_148_23232.jpg

The part I can't figure out is the filling and the flavorings used. Kinda like five-spice. Anyone know/like this little kuih?

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

^

^

^ (upthread  :shock: )

TP, that spekkoek (spice cake) looks great! Is it buttery & subtly spiced?

Oh my, yes! Just the way I love it! :wub: We finished it within 24 hours. Somehow, cutting into dainty slices didn't help to stretch the cake. :wink:

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

• 3 weeks later...
Is the gemblong hollow in the centre and sundried after it is fried and then glazed?

Here is a close up a la Monsieur Jason Perleaux of the gemblong. I'm not sure if you can see, it's packed with sticky rice and shredded coconut. As I understand the cooking process, gemblong isn't sundried after frying and glazing. So the outer crust is crispy and crunchy from the glaze, but the interior is very moist. Yum!

gallery_11814_148_25246.jpg

Here are some pix of kueh I've had recently.

gallery_11814_148_3715.jpg

^ Kue talam asin. I don't know what to call this in English. It is a soft, savory coconut milk rice cake topped with shrimp floss, and garnished with a celery leaf and chopped red pepper.

gallery_11814_148_13277.jpg

^ Kue lapis gulung. Layered and rolled, sweet rice cake flavored with coconut milk & pandan. Ooey gooey good.

gallery_11814_148_9638.jpg

^ I thought of eGullet member, Pinkpau, when I saw this and had to get it. The soft but not fluffy pau is filled with sweet mung bean paste. This was very good with my morning mug of teh tarik (pulled /poured hot tea with milk).

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

Wow,  all this discussion of delectable pastries made me crave them, so I really had to go out and buy some. 

Hi Yetti, salam kenal!

Lucky that you can still go out and buy some! :)

Wonder if you can help me out in finding recipe? I'm currently craving for this sweet cookie, it has shape of flower/star with sesame seed sprinkled on top and kinda brownish. I don't know the name. The cookie will melt in your mouth... I think there's sagu in it? Usually we buy them in bulk in the mall that sell "jajanan"

Thanks in advance!

Ellis

Chemically speaking, chocolate really is the world's perfect food. --Michael Levine, nutrition researcher

Yes, Shiewie, let's discuss other Southeast Asian treats!

On a trip to Bangkok some years ago, I fell in love with the Thai khanom.  The combination of sweet with a shot of savory is such a taste treat. 

Oh by the way,  Kew , here are the names of some of the cakes that I got the other day.

i8372.jpg

These pandan flavored,steamed rice flour cakes topped with shredded coconut are called "Putri Salju" or Snow Princess.

i8370.jpg

I don't like these too much :  naked nagasari cupcakes.  Basically your nagasari without the banana wrapping.

i8371.jpg

Jewel colored kue lapis made with tapioca flour.  These were quite slippery to eat.

i8369.jpg

Kue ku.  Shiewie, I'd never had them pan-fried until yesterday, they are absolutely delicious!

Do you have a recipe for Kue Lapis by any chance?

Do you have a recipe for Kue Lapis by any chance?

Adapted from the book rasa Malaysia by Betty Yew

Kuih Lapis

700g (1 1/2lb) 'wet' rice flour ** see note

105g (3 1/2 oz) sago flour }

10g (1oz) greenbean (mungbean) flour } sift together

1 1/2 coconut (5 1/2C of coconut milk)

Syrup:

600g ( 1 1/3lb) sugar

1C water

3 pandan leaves

red food coloring

- cook the syrup ingredients and strain and cool to lukewarm

- boil the water for the steamer

- in a big bowl, add the flours and add the coconut milk in a steady stream while constantly stirring until you get a nice smooth batter (otherwise, strain the batter or whirl in a blender)

- add syrup in a steady stream and while stirring

- divide into 2 portions and color one portion pink/light red

- use a 10 inch pan about and set it in the steamer rack

- pour about 1C of the white batter and steam for 4 minutes

- then add the pink batter and steam for 4 minutes

(**remember to wipe off the condensation on the steamer cover)

- repeat until batter is finished

for the last red batter, add a couple of red coloring to it to make deepend the color.

- remove pan from steamer when done and let cool for at least 6hrs before cutting and serving.

** tip - use a plastic knife to cut or a plastic spatula.

** wet rice flour - soak washed rice overnight, drain, and ground into a damp paste

Edited by kew (log)

Well, foodieme ... if you're still reading this forum ..... here's another recipe for Kuih Lapis:

Kuih Lapis by Amy Beh

Thank you, Kew. Will let you all know how it turns out when we make it.

Here's a pic of it based on Amy Beh's recipe. Yum yum!!! Cut them into pieces so that we can share them with our friends. We'll definitely make more of it again soon.

gallery_31709_1272_59052.jpg

That's cool!! I'm glad it turned out. Now I want some Kuih Lapis too.  :biggrin:

We'll save some for you next time :smile:

Someone gave me a recipe for Pulut Udang but, alas, it's in Malay. Do you have one that you can share or could you please translate the Malay version for me? Thanks!

Bahan inti:

100 gm udang

4 biji cili kering

2 batang serai

10 ulas bawang merah

½ sudu jintan manis

1 sudu besar minyak masak

Gula

Garam

900 gm pulut

1 biji kelapa

Garam

Daun pisang

Lidi

Untuk membuat inti, udang dipotong kecil-kecil.

Cili kering dimesin bersama jintan manis.

Serai dan bawang merah dihiris halus.

Panaskan minyak dan masukkan cili kering dan jintan manis tadi serta kacau.

Masukkan kelapa parut dan serai, garam, gula, udang dan bawang merah.

Kacau hingga masak dan ketepikan.

Rendam beras pulut semalaman. Bersihkan dan kukus hingga masak.

Pulut ini digaul bersama santan yang telah bercampur sedikit garam.

Layur daun pisang dan potong 7.5 x 15 cm.

Ambil 2 sudu besar pulut dan letakkan atas daun pisang tadi dan tekan pulut supaya leper.

Letakkan inti di bahagian dan gulung pulut berlapikkan daun pisang.

Matikan dengan lidi di hujung dan pangkal pulut udang ini.

Bakar pulut di atas api yang sederhana garing.

Hi foodieme

Impressive effort with the kuih lapis.

Here's your Pulut Udang recipe translated into English

Filling

100 gm prawns

4 dried chiiles

2 lemongrass

10 shallots

½ tsp fennel

1 Tbsp cooking oil

Sugar

Salt

900 gm glutinous rice

1 coconut

Salt

Banana leaves

Lidi (vein of coconut fronds)

Cut the prawns into small pieces.

Grind the dried chillies (soak them first) with the fennel.

Mince the the lemongrass and shallots finely.

Heat the cooking oil and add the ground dried chilli and cumin mixture and stir.

Add the grated coconut, lemongrass, salt, sugar, prawns and shallots.

Stir till cooked, then set aside.

Soak the glutinous rice overnight. Clean and steam till cooked.

Mix the cooked gultinous rice with the coconut milk to which some salt has been added.

Soften the banana leaves (by soaking it in hot water or passing it over the flame of a stove) and cut the banana leaves into rectangles of 7.5 x 15 cm.

Place 2 tbsp of glutinous rice onto a cut banana leaf and press the rice into a flat layer.

Place some filling on top and roll the glutionous rice with the banana lef.

Secure the ends with lidi (some just staple the ends when lidi is not available)

Grill on top of a medium fire.

Hi foodieme

Impressive effort with the kuih lapis.

Here's your Pulut Udang recipe translated into English

Filling

100 gm prawns

4 dried chiiles

2 lemongrass

10 shallots

½ tsp fennel

1 Tbsp cooking oil

Sugar

Salt

900 gm glutinous rice

1 coconut

Salt

Banana leaves

Lidi (vein of coconut fronds)

Cut the prawns into small pieces.

Grind the dried chillies (soak them first) with the fennel.

Mince the the lemongrass and shallots finely.

Heat the cooking oil and add the ground dried chilli and cumin mixture and stir.

Add the grated coconut, lemongrass, salt, sugar, prawns and shallots.

Stir till cooked, then set aside.

Soak the glutinous rice overnight. Clean and steam till cooked.

Mix the cooked gultinous rice with the coconut milk to which some salt has been added.

Soften the banana leaves (by soaking it in hot water or passing it over the flame of a stove) and cut the banana leaves into rectangles of 7.5 x 15 cm.

Place 2 tbsp of glutinous rice onto a cut banana leaf and press the rice into a flat layer.

Place some filling on top and roll the glutionous rice with the banana lef.

Secure the ends with lidi (some just staple the ends when lidi is not available)

Grill on top of a medium fire.

Thanks, Shiewie, for your help again. Sure wish we could just stop by the hawker stand to pick some up instead of having to make em ourselves. :sad: As to your compliment about kuih lapis - that just shows how desperate we are and how much we miss the delicious local cookings in SEAsia. :raz: