• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

paan

What goes into those neat little paan packages and makes them so coveted by some and despised by others?

-GrapeShape

PS-- And can one find paan in the US?

If you ever drop your keys into a river of molten lava, let'em go, because, man, they're gone.

Paan is an assortment of ingredients (mostly aftermints) wrapped in the paan leaf (also known as Betel Leaf). It is usually consumed after meals. Tradition has it that it helps in digestion. The ingredients are Chuna (edible lime), Katha paste, Saunf (fennel seeds), Supari (betel nuts), Elaichi (Green cardomom) and optionally Rose petal sweetner (Gulkand).

Picture of Paan leaf

Forgot to add, Yes you can buy all the ingredients in Indian grocery stores. Paan is a big hit in all our home parties.

Edited by deliad (log)

nice site

along with kachri and hing pieces, i can add fresh betel leaves to the list of things i can't find. :sad:

You're in pdx too, right? I'm looking to get together a do-it-yourself paan present for my partner. I'm going to mail-order the leaves... email me if you want in on it, ok?

regards,

trillium

Any chance you can share the address? I've wanted to try paan for the longest time, but can't find the ingredients locally, and inquiries to namaste.com didn't get anywhere.

Pat

"I... like... FOOD!" -Red Valkyrie, Gauntlet Legends-

Any chance you can share the address? I've wanted to try paan for the longest time, but can't find the ingredients locally, and inquiries to namaste.com didn't get anywhere.

Pat

I have a friend in Chicago who is figuring things out for me. As soon as I know, I'll let you know.

regards,

trillium

probably more than you wanted to know but choose your stimulant

If this was true of the paan I ate then I should be in a mental institution by now :laugh::laugh:

I know in India Dad would keep us away from the tobacco laced Paan but we were allowed to eat a simple betel leaf enclosing fennel seeds, areca nuts and sweet rose laced jelly...

Hmmmmmm

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Thanks, that's a very informative link. Something mentioned in one of the articles caught my eye:

Betel chewing produces an increase in heart rate, blood pressure, sweating and body temperature. In addition, EEG shows widespread cortical desynchronization indicating a state of arousal.

:blink:

If this was true of the paan I ate then I should be in a mental institution by now

i'd like to agree :smile: . i noticed almost nothing after eating delicious sweet paans, usually on a very full stomach. of course, i come from the land of quad espressos so my viewpoint is probably skewed. tobacco paan is another story.

paan apparently has nothing on msg, by the way, which can cause

reactions like Depression, Mood swings, Rage reactions, Dizziness, Light-headedness, Loss of balance, Disorientation, Mental confusion, Anxiety, Panic attacks, Hyperactivity, Behavioral problems in children, Attention deficit disorders, Lethargy, Sleepiness, Insomnia, Numbness or paralysis, Seizures, Sciatica, Slurred speech, Chills and shakes, Shuddering, Blurred vision, Difficulty focusing, and Pressure around the eyes, Asthma, Shortness of breath, Chest pain, Tightness in the chest, Runny nose, Sneezing, Swelling of the prostate, Swelling of the vagina, Vaginal spotting, Frequent urination, Nocturia, Hives (may be both internal and external), Rash, Mouth lesions, Temporary tightness or partial paralysis, (numbness or tingling) of the skin, Flushing, Extreme dryness of the mouth, Face swelling, Tongue swelling, Arrhythmia, Atrial fibrillation, Tachycardia, Palpitations, Slow heartbeat, Angina, Extreme rise or drop in blood pressure, Swelling, Diarrhea, Nausea/vomiting, Stomach cramps, Irritable bowel, Swelling of hemorrhoids and/or anus area, Rectal bleeding, Bloating, Flu-like achiness, Joint pain, and Stiffness

Thanks, that's a very informative link. Something mentioned in one of the articles caught my eye:

Betel chewing produces an increase in heart rate, blood pressure, sweating and body temperature. In addition, EEG shows widespread cortical desynchronization indicating a state of arousal.

:blink:

then there are the (in)famous "palang-tod" (=bed-breaker)

aphrodisiac paans. not sure what the "active ingredient"

added to this variety is...

milagai