• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Going to the Angus Barn in Raleigh

Popcorn

Hi All,

anyone have advice for getting the most out of the Angus Barn, or a steakhouse in general? We're taking friends there to celebrate their engagement, and I've never been... Are there particular things worth ordering or staying away from? I've heard good things about their pickles.

Thanks,

Ben

They'll accomodate just about any request you might have. They're very, very good at taking care of the customer, so if you don't like the way something looks on the menu, ask them to do it differently.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Don't order your steak any more cooked than medium-rare. At a good steakhouse you should be having top quality beef-- it's a shame to cook it too much.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Another story of interest to fans of the Food Network and who may live in the Triangle:

Rachael Ray"s "$40 a Day"

Clearly, she didn't visit the Angus Barn on this show:

Ray also has a tight budget for food on the show -- $40, including tax and tip. And she's supposed to get three meals and a snack, if possible. She's allowed to take advantage of any bargains that another customer could get, but she is not cut any special deals -- on TV.

In reality, Ray and crew usually don't pay anything for the meals they shoot or eat. Most restaurants are happy to comp meals for the exposure they get on the popular Food Network show, which airs Fridays at 9 and 9:30 p.m. and Saturdays at 6 p.m. And the $40 is obviously just a number used for the premise of the show; the TV crew stayed at the ritzy Siena Hotel in Chapel Hill, where they could have blown a day's budget on risotto and osso buco.

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Thanks all,

So what I'm hearing is, stay away from the steak and go for the grilled veggies?

right. well, now that I've looked at the menu online (thanks G.G., I didn't even think about it) I have a few more specific questions:

So I know (or have heard) to avoid the filet in all it's forms. I'm looking at the T-Bone or the New York Strip. What's the difference?

Should the non-beef entrees be avoided? I'm not asking you all to pick my meal, rather whether the steak at A.B. is enough better than steak elsewhere that I need to try it, instead of going with the lamb chops, because I can cook some pretty mean lamb chops on my own?

I notice they have fries. should I look forward to being wowed? or should I look forward to something else?

and Al Dente, does this mean they'll *actually* cook it rare for me? excitement!

now that I've looked at the menu online (thanks G.G., I didn't even think about it)

That's me, the Menu Maven! :laugh:

T'was my pleasure, Popcorn, to be of service in your quest for info!

and Al Dente, does this mean they'll *actually* cook it rare for me? excitement!

For the prices I'm sure you'll be paying, they better damn well cook it the way you want. Go for it-- go rare!

I'm pretty sure a T-Bone has the NY Strip steak on one side of the "T"-shaped bone, and a little of the tenderloin (filet mignon) on the other side. A porterhouse is a T-bone on steroids (ok, not literally hopefully) with a larger chunk of tenderloin attached to one side of the "T" along with the NY Strip. A NY Strip is not attached to the bone at all.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

fiThanks all,

So what I'm hearing is, stay away from the steak and go for the grilled veggies?

right. well, now that I've looked at the menu online (thanks G.G., I didn't even think about it) I have a few more specific questions:

So I know (or have heard) to avoid the filet in all it's forms. I'm looking at the T-Bone or the New York Strip. What's the difference?

Should the non-beef entrees be avoided? I'm not asking you all to pick my meal, rather whether the steak at A.B. is enough better than steak elsewhere that I need to try it, instead of going with the lamb chops, because I can cook some pretty mean lamb chops on my own?

I notice they have fries. should I look forward to being wowed? or should I look forward to something else?

fries will not be memorable or remarkable

i'd get a steak, unless you don't like steak, in which case i'd get something else

We went a few years ago, very unimpressed with the food. For the prices they charged the food was mediocre. The atmosphere was very dated as was the menu. My steak wasn't very flavorable, my companion got the Lambchops which were better. The wine list is amazing and the staff was very cordial. So I can't say anything about the service, it was good. Angus Barn is a tradition in Raleigh and I hope they always will be, but I can't say in good conscience that I will ever return.

Angus Barn advice:

Take a deep wallet and a huge appetite. You might want to fast for a couple of days beforehand.

Brace yourself for the decor: Think Hoss Cartwright with an unlimited budget. Lots of things made out of antlers.

Stick with the steak. They don't call it the Angus Barn for nothing. Yes, you can get it rare. Personally, I opt for steak cuts with lots of flavor, and that takes fat and bone. That's why I'd avoid filet mignon -- it has neither.

Save room for dessert. (I'm fond of the Sawdust Pie.)

Don't expect cutting-edge cuisine: This ain't it. Bear in mind how the place came to be: Started in the late '60s to be the perfect restaurant for male legislators who were in Raleigh sans spouses and the lobbyists who needed them. It was a perfect formula in 1965 and they never messed with it: Lots of red meat, comfortable chairs and prices high enough for lobbyists to be able to really show their appreciation.

And my favorite and final Angus Barn experience: The valet service is amazing. Do not be surprised, when you stumble out after several hours, when the valet heads off to get your car without looking at your ticket. They've learned a few tricks about remembering faces from all those state senators they work with.

Kathleen Purvis, food editor, The Charlotte (NC) Observer

Angus Barn advice:

Take a deep wallet and a huge appetite. You might want to fast for a couple of days beforehand.

Brace yourself for the decor: Think Hoss Cartwright with an unlimited budget. Lots of things made out of antlers.

What I most appreciate about you, kpurvis, is your keen ability to "cut to the chase" .. you do tell it like it is, and in this day of spin-and-hype, I find that incredibly refreshing!

Hoss Cartright? :laugh::laugh:

But, ohhhhh the cheese spreads. I am rather a cheese snob, but the cheese spreads they put on the table for free (and of course sell on the way out) are really yummy.

They also have a decent beer list.

The scene is quite something, especially around graduation/prom season.

The steaks are not bad. I would go for the portherhouse is I remember correctly.

Desserts? Feh.

The cheese are two large crocks of spreadable cheese. They have a cheddar and a blue, both of which are made by them. This is accompanied by an assortment of crackers, pickles, celery, and pickled peppers. You may find you fill yourself up on these, and don't have room for the large servings of everything else. My wife and I will often go to the Wild Turkey Lounge (the upstairs bar), and just have the cheese tray and appetizers.