• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rats Restaurant and Sculpture Garden

Happyeater

This past weekend four of tried for the first time brunch at Rats. I know the name sort of puts one off, BUT, don't knock until you try. <g>

The ambience is truly lovely, and puts one in a relaxed mood at once. The wait staff, knows their jobs well, and does it without fanfare.

Brunch, starts off with a buffet table for an appetizers. The tables have fresh shrimp, caviare, salads, Italian salamis,cheeses, breads of many types. You also have a choice of champagne, or mimosa's. For the entree there was a choice of six items. Seared Scallops, on a bed of spinach, with a slightly tart lemon based sauce. Also availabvle was a seared salmon, on spinach, shallots, tofu, pearl onions, in a slightly spicy sauce. There were lobsters available for an extra บ.00, Other choices were, Puffy waffles, crepes and an egg dish.

The food was wonderful, the setting, service dinner plates,silver service all conducive to a quiet lesurely lunch. We are planning to go again for dinner, which I expect to be equally as well done and surely as tasty.

Brucnh was ื.00 per. person.

We've been to Rat's three times and love the ambiance and food. This is my posting from last spring.

We went to Rat's and were awed. J. Seward Johnson has created an art lover's paradise with 22 acres containing sculptures that are magnificent. Be sure to leave enough time to walk the gardens before or after dinner. Don't miss the life size sculptures by the gazebo and Monet's bridge. Be sure to walk into the nooks and crannies as they are full of surprises. The picnic scene with two men, a nude woman and another woman washing in the stream will put a smile on your face. We also loved the pond in front of the restaurant with its gigantic head sculpture that will mesmerize you. This place is well worth a visit.

The restaurant is gorgeous. The entrance is a gypsy wagon taken from the book "The Winds in the Willows" where the character Rat's comes from. We sat in the upstairs room among original artwork. The tablecloths were red, the glass dishes blue or yellow and the salt and pepper mills were multicolored. Tables were spaced far apart.

Chef Eric Martin sent out an amuse bouche of eel with a spicy Korean salad. Bread is brought in a tall silver bread basket with a hot rock on the bottom to keep the popovers, raisin and sour dough bread warm.

Lowell had a marinated seafood salad with roasted peppers and baby arugula dotted with picholine olive tapenade and I had grilled quail for an appetizer. For entrees we had two specials of the evening. Lowell had pistachio crusted wolf fish with sautéed ramps, hedgehog mushrooms and fresh pea puree. I had skate with a fantastic wild rice served atop of sautéed spinach. We had a few desserts but my favorite was the rhubarb spring roll with vanilla ice cream. I was tempted to try the cheese plate but was too full. Rueben our waiter was extremely attentive and provided outstanding service. Coffee was good.

Sommelier Anthony Accardo gave us helpful information about the wine list while the manager gave us the history of the restaurant and information about the artists, sculptures, grounds and future plans for enlargement of the kitchen and expansion to include a hotel. Their input made our trip that much more enjoyable. Do try this place. The whole experience was so unique and pleasurable.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

So don't keep it a secret from us Northern New Jerserians, just where is this great restaurant?  Address please?  

Some us do travel the rest of the state.  

TIA

Life is too important to be taken seriously.[br]Oscar Wilde