• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eating Vacation

lala

oh and p.s.

the santa fe chamber of commerce has the coolest travel brochure. just call em up and they will put it in the mail to you immediately.

:biggrin:

lisa

"Animal crackers and cocoa to drink

That is the finest of suppers, I think

When I'm grown up and can have what I please,

I think I shall always insist upon these"

*Christopher Morley

I, too, vote that you fly into Albuquerque, rent a car, drive to Santa Fe and northern New Mexico, taking the famous Turquoise Trail and High Road.

In fact, I think I'm gonna do that very thing as soon as possible.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I, too, vote that you fly into Albuquerque, rent a car, drive to Santa Fe and northern New Mexico, taking the famous Turquoise Trail and High Road.

In fact, I think I'm gonna do that very thing as soon as possible.

need anyone to ride shotgun?

:wink:

lisa

"Animal crackers and cocoa to drink

That is the finest of suppers, I think

When I'm grown up and can have what I please,

I think I shall always insist upon these"

*Christopher Morley

... but seriously folks, getting back to New England.... :biggrin:

September is right at the beginning of harvest time so the restaurants who are in-the-know will be loaded with specialties like heirloom tomatos. Maritime Canada is a beautiful place and the attitude there is refreshing. Then you can drive the Maine Coast and stay at a B&B or two, on your way down to Boston or West to Vermont.

The Shelburne Museum is probably the most comprehensive collection of Americana in the country, located 7miles from Burlington, VT where you can sample amazing artisinal cheeses and Vermont specialties. I89 in the autumn is a visual feast, and if you are so inclined you can stop just about anywhere for a hike up a hill or rent bikes or a kayak on the coast.... or, if you're not so inclined, there are some award-winning micro-breweries to visit!

Plus, if you hit it right, there is talk of an eG pigroast in NJ around mid-Sept! :smile:

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Oh, yes. If you haven't been to New Mexico you must go. You just can't get that New Mexican food anywhere else in the country, and most of it (outside of Santa Fe and Taos) is dirt cheap. And in the fall when the aspens will be turning in the mountains and the roadsides are lined with vendors roasting chilis over an open fire...sigh. If you need recommendations for some of the smaller, off the beaten path towns I recommend the New Mexico Handbook (Moon Handbooks). Not only is it a great guidebook to sights, etc, it is packed with great recommendations for small, mom and pop New Mexican home cooking kind of places.

Edited by kiliki (log)

Well, you all have been quite generous and kind in your help. My personal vacation experience has been more Euro-oriented due to family obligations (poor baby, she had to go to London...), but now I finally get to explore my own country, and as one of you pointed out, it's a great melting pot - and I'm eager to dive in!

Now I'm off to do some more research. I'm being swayed by the vocal New Mexico contingent, I admit. But there are plenty of fantastic vacation ideas here, for many vacations to come, and while I know that this has provided much needed inspiration to me, I hope it has done the same for others, too.

Thanks, everyone!!

:biggrin:

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”