• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

black cod and miso recipe and suppliers ?

origamicrane

hi there

anyone out there got a full recipe for black cod and miso?

as the nobu cook book conveniently misses out the proportions required :angry:

boo!! booo!!

Also anyone know of a fishmonger within London that sell the fish?

and the yuzo miso?

(can you make yuzo miso yourself? light miso and squeeze in the yuzo juice? )

come to think of it is yuzo available in london too?

I know its also called sablefish but most fishmongers look at me blankly when i ask for it or offer me normal cod :hmmm:

Wonder if i should make a trip to Billingsgate???

anyway sure whoever answer this question will get respect from the rest of the forum. :smile:

"so tell me how do you bone a chicken?"

"tastes so good makes you want to slap your mamma!!"

Try this, presuming you can find the black cod and yuzu which I can't help you with since I live in Atlanta.

You can start with the Nobe recipe, if you like. Try 1/2 cup of sake with the 3/4 cup of mirin, the 2 cups white (shiro) miso and the 1 1/4 cups of sugar. That's going to be pretty sweet. Marinate the Black Cod filets as directed by the Nobu recipe for twelve hours reserving 3 - 4 tbls of the Saikyo Miso.

Prepare a sauce using:

1 cup dashi

1/2 cup mirin

1/4 white or light colored soy sauce

3 tbls of the reserved Saikyo Miso

1 tsp yuzu juice (fresh squeezed or bottled)

Simmer the ingredients gently for about tem minutes and taste. You are looking for just the right balance (to your taste) of salt, sweet and tang from the yuzu. To adjust the sweet add some of the reserved Saikyo Miso or a bit of sugar, for salt, add salt. Be careful with the yuzu as the flavor can be very dominating. Its better to start with less and bring it up gradually to get it where you want it to be.

Cook the fish as instructed by Nobu and serve in wide shallow bowls with several tablespoons of sauce. Alternatively, you can forget the Nobu recipe entirely and instead of adding the the Saikyo Miso to the sauce add 6 tbls shiro miso, 1/4 cup mirin (instead of the 1/2) 1/4 cup sake and 2 tbls of sugar. Salt the filets, sear them in a hot saute pan with several tsps of peanut or grapeseed oil, make sure to brown the skin side and finish them in a hot oven for 10 - 15 minutes. Serve the same way as above.

Let me know how yours turn out. :smile:

Jay

You are what you eat.

I don't know if you're avoiding Chilean Sea Bass, but according to my fish guy you can use it as a substitute for black cod.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

The best thing would be to start a relationship with a fishmonger who could look out for some black cod on their trips to Billingsgate - although if you fancied getting up at 4 am, it's a wild place to go. They sell mostly in bulk, but I believe the general public are welcome-ish on Thursdays. You just have to be careful of getting your legs broken from the men racing around with the carts. Don't expect much in terms of courtesy; but it is an amazing sight.

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

Origamicrane,

Call Selfridges, they sometimes have Black Cod in stock, if they don't have it, its possible Atari Ya in Ealing (West Acton) does. Atariya almost always stocks blackcod ALREADY marinating in miso, I'm not sure if they have fresh.

I have the Nobu cookbook too... I think the proportion they are missing is the sake one? It's also here with the proportion Nobu Den Miso on Martha Stewart

I'm confused as to what you are looking for because the Nobu black cod does not use yuzu miso.

Good luck!

hi all

well can't remeber where i read it

but it said that if you can get hold of yuzu miso to use that instead of white miso

as the citurs flavour is even better with black codn :biggrin:

hmmmm guess i could just squeeze some lemon juice into the white miso marinade...

i just want something that tastes better then nobu's black cod

can be made at home and doesn't cost £26 for it :laugh:

"so tell me how do you bone a chicken?"

"tastes so good makes you want to slap your mamma!!"

hi all

but it said  that if you can get hold of yuzu miso to use that instead of white miso

as the citurs flavour is even better with black codn  :biggrin: 

hmmmm guess i could just squeeze some lemon juice into the white miso marinade...

i just want something that tastes better then nobu's black cod

can be made at home and doesn't cost £26 for it  :laugh:

I would try to get myself to a Japanese supermarket if I were you. They have Yuzu juice in a bottle, which is not the same as fresh Yuzu but it should do in a pinch.

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

hi all

but it said that if you can get hold of yuzu miso to use that instead of white miso

as the citurs flavour is even better with black codn 

OC, it is amazing, I've used it on salmon (that miso marinade thing is pretty popular in Japan, it gets used on all types of fish and... eggplant). But squeezing lemon juice or even yuzu juice into miso is not going to give you the same thing as yuzu miso... I have no idea how they do it but the flavour and aroma is intense. I've only ever seen it at Oriental City in London... and they are about to reopen under new manageent (not that they were ever closed but for the last month or so, there hasn't been much on the shelves), so I'm hoping for better stock. You could call them and ask if they are selling it.

According to the insignificant other (who was the executive chef at Nobu New York) they had to import Black Cod/Sable fish when they opened Nobu london. But that was 5 or 6 years ago. ..."Yuzu Miso" is the "Den Miso" same miso used for "Miso Cod" with the addition of yuzu juice to taste... He's also offered to tweak the recipe, so if anyone here really want to know, send me an email or PM.

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

Though Black cod does taste great, in Japan you will find this preparation used on a wide variety of fish including salmon, flounder/brill, spanish mackeral, etc..

For the yuzu miso, the way to make it the most intense is to add lots of grated yuzu rind.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Black cod is in fact a member of the grouper family, I suppose that doesn't sound as sexy as Black Cod. I hope it is more sustainable than ordinary cod though!

I like the Black Cod served at L'Etranger, apparently it is cooked under the pass lights or so the chef told me when I interviewed him a while back

S