• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Ontario stores for baking supplies

yorkshirepud

Hey all,

I want to stock up on some baking supplies (equipment that is). What are you favourite places to go to?

I usually head to Williams-Sonoma but they don't have a 'huge' selection and often don't have what I'm looking for (i.e. individual flan rings).

Thanks.

Adele

Depends where you are - Golda's Kitchen in Mississauga seems to have a good selection - they also sell on-line.

Edited to add link to Golda's Kitchen

Edited by Anna N (log)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Nikolaou (629 Queen St. W) has a very large selection of ring molds, pans and tools.

The Kitchen and Glass Place (840 Yonge St.) also carries a wide range of baking supplies.

If you require large quantities or an odd size, Design & Realization in Quebec may be your best bet. Their prices are quite reasonable, even after shipping.

Adele, do you know Ashton Green? Not in Toronto, admittedly, but they are Canadian (out of Ottawa) (so none of those nasty exchange sticker shocks!). Their service is fabulous -- I usually get my juicy parcels within days, and when they shipped me a slightly cracked pudding mould, I didn't even have to return it, they just sent me out a new one (which again arrived within days). (The cracked one makes a nice ornamental container.)

I've been very pleased with everything I've got there.

Katharine

Anna N, I've visited Golda's Kitchen (online only) and it does seem like a great place. I'm hoping to get out there for a skeg at the store soon.

marlowe, thanks for the store. I'll check it out.

allezcuisine, I don't get downtown often but thanks for the stores. I'll be on the look out next time I'm down that way.

Katharine, oohh thanks. I'm going to have a good look around the website later. I actually want to WS last night and walked out $150 poorer *L*. I do like their bakeware though (I buy the pro regular, not non stick). Very heavy duty. I wish they'd branch out a little as the store I go to (Yorkdale) has slim pickings.

Edited by yorkshirepud (log)
Adele

I would definitely suggest Nickolau for just about any small items. They will special order items if you know what it is that you want and they also have connections to have these small items custom amde, this is obviosly at a premium because you are paying for the initial design and machining but if you have the money they are pretty good at delivering what you need. They know what is in those stacks of catalogues on their shelves so if it already exists they will know. I am not sure whether their level of service is different for civilians, but I do know that they have always been fair, honest and extremely knowledgeable in helping me even when I was a snot-nosed apprentice who knew nothing and walked in there all wide eyed and stupid.