• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

And Today's Special...

Some Smackdowns sleep like snapper at the back of the walk-in. It's time to gussy them up with some watercress and tell the waitstaff to push 'em hard.

My name is Maggie, and I'm your server tonight. I recommend that you enter Competition 21, in which you poison, bludgeon or asphyxiate someone with a handy comestible. Here.

Or perhaps you prefer Belles-Lettres to True Crime? I'd love award prizes to Competition #3, whose expiration date is fast approaching. Visit the restaurant closest to your front door and write a review as if you're William Grimes or A.A. Gill. Here

I'll announce winners for both competitions next week. Whee! Prizes, prizes, prizes. And there's a lagniappe:

Hard to cloose? The first eGull to enter both will receive a bib apron crafted by the Dark Lady herself-- the rare, Limited Edition Hello Kitty model.

Deadline: Midnight, Saturday June 5th, in a time zone of your choice.

Do you need change back?

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

• 2 weeks later...

Dammit, I've been in four cities in two weeks with (extremely!) limited internet access. The Dark Lady has been derelict in her duties. OTOH, through the generosity of various eGulls, New Orleans and Grand Rapids have been a blast. Rochester, NY...don't ask.

Alex (my kind host at breakfast this morning--asparagus and smoked salmon fritatta with the always brilliant repartee of fresco on the side) gets the Limited Edition Hello Kitty apron.

Let me unpack, have a shower, crumple some bills and judge contests tomorrow. People: It ain't just the glory--I have some amazing cookbooks to ship to the First Prize Winners.

Write.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

• 2 weeks later...

Round Three has been judged, and the winners will be posted starting next Monday. Round Twenty-One will remain open until the entries arrive at some critical mass -- like six, say. The quality of the entries is really high. But geez, give those three a run for the money. Er, cookbook.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com