• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vietnamese Restaurants in New Jersey

Jason Perlow

EDIT: This list has been updated for 2006

1) Little Saigon: Original location in Nutley burned down in Late 2003, was re-opened in Montclair in Late 2004:

19 Elm St., Montclair, (973) 783-3914

Little Saigon has Re-Opened (click)

2) Saigon Cafe: In Jersey City: Very hip restaurant, frequented by the Village People (as in the 70's gay music ensemble) no less. Greenwich-village type cafe surroundings with great food. Primarily american crowd.

188 Newark Ave Jersey City, NJ (201) 332-8711

3) Miss Saigon Vietnamese, just down the street from Saigon Cafe. Probably more authentic as it attacts a strong Vietnamese crowd but the food is less interesting than Cafe's , but does a very good job with the traditional stuff such as Pho and the appetizers.

249 Newark Ave Jersey City, NJ (201) 792-4768

4) Saigon R. Vietnamese Cuisine (web site)

58 West Palisades Avenue (across from McDonalds)

Englewood, NJ 07632

201-871-4777 phone

201-871-7477 fax

Hours: Tuesday through Saturday 11:15-9:15

Sunday, Brunch/Early Dinner 11:30-6:30

BYOB

EDIT: Saigon R. opened a second branch, Mo Pho Noodles and More, on Main Street in Fort Lee in 2004.

5) Binh Duong,

East West Shopping Plaza

61 1/2 Belleville Ave

Bloomfield NJ 07003

Phone 973-680-8440/8441

eG Forums thread on Binh Duong (click)

6) Mo Pho Noodles

212 Main Street, Fort Lee

201-363-8886

eG Forums thread on Mo Pho Noodles

7) Saigon House

Saigon House, 320 Rt 10

East Hanover

(973-887-8815).

eG Forums thread on Saigon House (click)

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

ahhh, Little Saigon in Nutley.  when i think vietnamese, i think of this place.  i've been to many in NYC, and Little Saigon, overall, is heads and shoulders above the rest.

a possible exception is Vermicelli, on 2nd and 78th in NYC.  a little more pricey, a little more "up scale", but really really good.

i've been to East Saigon in Teaneck, but i have to say i was disappointed.  although, if you're in the area and need a fix, go for it!  and i agree with Jason, the pho was a little watery.  where's the flavor?!?!  and i think they use a noodle that i don't like in their pho as well, although i could be wrong.  a bit too "chinese" overall for my taste, especially considering nutley is about 20 minutes away.  (there i go, giving away the hidden secrets again!)

i haven't tried these places in JC.  sounds like i should though.

I ordered from Saigon Gourmet (or at the very least a vietnamese take-out in Fort Lee that i assume was Saigon Gourmet) and was happy enough.  BUT, nothin' beats Little Saigon.  the service is slow, the waits can be long, but it's worth it.  the "egg rolls" are the best in the NYC, hands down (they use egg roll wrappers as opposed to the rice paper that others use, which tends to be chewy and insipid)

####, now i want vietnamese for dinner! ;)

I ate at Miss Saigon twice when if first opened about 2 years ago.  My first experience was horrible (written about in FoodBytes -- hey Rosie, go dig up the archives!).  I couldn't believe that it was so horrendous so I checked my insanity and went back the next month.  I certified myself sane.  Maybe it's changed though.

I can't believe I never heard of the other JC place on Newark Ave.  I must pass it 5 times a week.  How long has it been around?

I haven't been there in a few years, but I used to love La Viet on East Front Street in Plainfield. Everything was very fresh - great spring rolls that weren't fried, wonderful soups and noodle dishes. It seemed to be family owned and was run with a friendly efficiency that made you feel welcome and comfortable.

It's on the 2nd floor, but there used to be an awning at street level with 'La Viet' on it.

If you go, please post your reaction

• 3 months later...

so we're craving vietnamese on sunday, so we hop in the car to go to Little Saigon in Nutley.  we get there, and they're closed for a private party!!!???!!  now what!?!?!!  

decided to give east saigon in teaneck another chance.  overall, it is not very good.  the spring rolls are just terrible.  i can make them better myself.  the grilled pork chop, however, was pretty damned good.  also ordered lemongrass chicken.  it seemed a bit too "chinese" for me, but it was kinda tasty.  a little too oily for my taste.  i didn't bother with the watery pho.

they don't have a liquor license, and i would have *killed* for a beer.  oh well.

i don't think i'll be back.  of course, i said that the first time i went too!

Good News.

Saigon Gourmet, the great little shack in Fort Lee with excellent food by chef Katie, is going to be opening a new restaurant named Saigon (same name as their original restaurant in Cresskill which closed several years ago) across the street from Victoria's Secret in Englewood on Palisade Avenue. They anticpate opening in late April or early March.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Quote: from Jason Perlow on 9:39 pm on Jan. 8, 2002

Saigon Gourmet, the great little shack in Fort Lee with excellent food by chef Katie, is going to be opening a new restaurant named Saigon (same name as their original restaurant in Cresskill which closed several years ago) across the street from Victoria's Secret in Englewood on Palisade Avenue.

YAY!!!!!  i *love* Victoria's Secret!!!  oddly enough, as i hit "reply" to type that nonsense, a vitoria's secret commercial came on the picture box.  i don't recall ever seeing one.  small world, err, or something.

jason, please pass on any more info on this place.  can't wait!!!!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I've changed this thread to all of NJ, rather than just North Jersey. It's not like there are so many Vietnamese places in the state that they need to be separated into North & South Jersey.

Here is my contribution to the southern half of the state:

Little Saigon on the corner of Arctic and Iowa Avenues, Atlantic City, 609-347-9119. We haven't been there in a few years, but I recall it being pretty good with many Vietnamese people eating there.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Don't know why Saigon Republic in Englewood got short shrift here, I see it was mentioned way down the list--

I just want to put my plug in that it is one of the best restaurants in North Jersey, as well as a great Vietnamese resto. There are many non-Vietnamese dishes here as well, but the Pho is the best I've ever had. Get the one with the rare beef, which cooks the beef in the broth. The broth is actually cooked overnight, and has such an indescribable complex set of flavors....FABULOUS!!

Everything on the menu is great, and the waiter/host, Joe, makes it a really fun dining experience. Make sure you make a reservation, only about 10-11 tables.

My mouth is watering......

Don't know why Saigon Republic in Englewood got short shrift here, I see it was mentioned way down the list--

Because this topic predates the existance of Saigon Republic.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

I've changed this thread to all of NJ, rather than just North Jersey.

Here are two more in Southern NJ.

Saigon Vietnam Restaurant

Route 38, next to Flower World

Pennsauken, NJ 08109

856-910-8090/8095; open daily.

Pho Eden

1900 Greentree Road

(in plaza at corner of Greentree and Springdale)

Cherry Hill, NJ 08003

856-424-0075; Open daily, 9 am to 9 pm.

I like Pho Eden more. The Pho is good and so are their Bun dishes and spring rolls.

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

Because this topic predates the existance of Saigon Republic.

Jon - he meant, why wasn't Saigon Republic mentioned in the Star Ledger article tommy linked to, above. I agree, shame on Genovese. I also don't know why they kept sampling wonton soup at Vietnamese restaurants. :wacko: How do you get on the munch mobile panel anyway?

menton1 saying "it was mentioned way down the list" implies Jason's list Rachel, since The Star Ledger mentions it not at all.

The explanation for the Ledger's oversight? I think they considered Saigon Republic "too fancy" for something like a "Munchmobile" to visit. I mean the "Munchmobile" tries Wonton soup. So "pfui" to the "Munchmobile"! They should stick to hot dogs. :wink:

Edited by jhlurie (log)

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

The ledger also really doesnt concentrate on Bergen County restaurants, its primarily an Essex and Morris County paper.

Yes, I did not realize that this thread was started quite a while ago; Saigon Republic is a great place--

As far as the Star Ledger, it is sold in every newsstand, convenience store, and newspaper outlet in Bergen County. They have an obligation to cover Bergen as well.

I'm not sure if they have an obligation but certainly, leaving a place out like Saigon Republic is a severe oversight. They've generally been quite omissive of Bergen County restaurants in most of their roundups.