• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pairing for Nicoise salad

memesuze

I'm looking for general recommendations for what to serve with a Nicoise salad tomorrow - flavors that should be considered: fresh albacore broiled [it's too hot right now to grill it outside - we hit 100 yesterday in Austin], Nicoise olives, tomatoes, vinaigrette. No breaking the bank here - just a couple of gals for a midweek supper.

Can you describe the dressing? That is what would determine the wine...

The Nicoise salad I make has a dressing based with chopped capers, so I tend to pair it with a Petit Chablis -- possibly a Sauvignon Blanc if the wine itself is not too acidic.

I was just planning on a basic vinaigrette: 3 or 4 olive oil to 1 of sherry vinegar, with a bit of Dijon for emulsion - but I just saw Jerry Traunfeld's Herbfarm Vinaigrette that calls for sherry, balsamic, shallot, Dijon, and mild EVOO -

How about a nice 2003 vintage Rose from the Tavel appellation (Domaine Amido makes a good one)? Or perhaps the Cotes du Luberon Rose of Chateau La Canorgue? You might also consider a good Bandol Rose or the Domaines Ott from the Cote de Provence...

What Echezeaux said. If you were eating your salad nicoise in Nice, you'd likely be drinking it with a good rose.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.