• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grapple

adoxograph

Was in the local asian market produce aisle today and was immediately drawn to an item called a "Grapple" pronounced grape - el. Apparently this is a fuji apple that has been "bathed in..the essence of Concord Grapes". Tasty, eh?

At 5 dollars for 4, I wasn't ready to take the plunge, but have to know if anyone else here has. I'm willing to sacrifice in the name of eGullet, but only if no one has done so already.

If it had been apple soaked in essence of pork, I'm sure someone would have had it already, but grape, well.... :)

Any tasters out there braver than I?

--adoxograph

Was in the local asian market produce aisle today and was immediately drawn to an item called a "Grapple" pronounced grape - el.  Apparently this is a fuji apple that has been "bathed in..the essence of Concord Grapes". Tasty, eh?

At 5 dollars for 4, I wasn't ready to take the plunge, but have to know if anyone else here has.  I'm willing to sacrifice in the name of eGullet, but only if no one has done so already. 

If it had been apple soaked in essence of pork, I'm sure someone would have had it already, but grape, well.... :)

Any tasters out there braver than I?

Ever the sucker for novelty, I did buy these apples and the local price was $3.99 for four. At the initial bite, I thought the taste was reasonably grapey and liked it because of the novelty. The apples were crisp and sweet and dense. Chilled? terrific! The second was fine but by now it was getting to be too much grape flavor ...

But, as with all things unique, by the third, and final apple, I was generally bored and unimpressed. I longed to eat an apple with a true apple taste again.

But, all things considered, they are worth trying ... don't know that I would do it again, especially at that price. :rolleyes:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

let's have some Truffle flavoured Tofu

Troffu?

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.

Our Whole Foods was giving out free tastes. Very Grappely.

Exactly my point ... and when does the novelty wear off?

Does this apple have staying power? Would you cook with it?

What does heat do to the flavor in a pie?

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

My produce purveyor had a big stack of the boxes, she said,"smell these". To me, they smell like Welchs grape juice. Why make an apple taste like a grape? Eat an apple or eat a grape! I was wondering if it was a way to market really bad apples.

I got a chance to try one of these before they were on the market (thanks to Tad/FoodZealot) and wasn't very impressed. It tasted like a nice, crispy apple bathed in grape Kool Aid. Not that there's anything wrong with grape Kool Aid, mind you - just not what I'm looking for when biting into an apple. I think it would appeal to people who don't like the flavor of apples or somehow need to be enticed to eat fruit. Personally, I'll take my apples and grapes au natural.

Edited by tejon (log)

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

• 3 weeks later...

At a local (Seattle) store this morning, I ran across these - apples that "taste" like grapes. I didn't buy one, but the smell was similar to grape kool aid (or those light lavendar irises that smell like grape.) They look like standard red apples. They are labeled "patent pending" and say they are grown in Wenachee - that's Washington State apple country.

have seen these too--also didn't buy, as they were all wrapped up in the hard "clamshell" plastic, and were 4 for $3.99. at a buck a pop, i wanna at least be able to sniff them first! anybody try them yet?

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

• 1 year later...
I've tasted one as well. I bet this is a flash in the pan. Tasted like it had been soaked in grape Kool-Aid. Or grape jelly....

Why would you want an apple that tastes like a grape, anyway?

Just want to revive this thread to say these abominations are still on the market, and I finally tried one yesterday. The Kool-Aid comparison is spot on. These things don't taste like real grapes... they taste like fake grapes. And they smell like fake grape flavor too.

Echh! Ick! Blah!

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

My kids absolutely love them and so do their friends. Around here they run about $4.99 for four but I can get them at the clearance bin for about 89. cents for four because no one will pay that much for apples. My children will eat apples anyway but these are fun and different. Besides: What's wrong with kool-aid?

Melissa

Actually, it's pronounced Grapp-le, and they've been made for years in the Pacific NW, as a novelty for kids, generally released in late February or early March as a sort of pre-Easter healthy treat, an alternative to Peeps and chocolate. In Washington, there's a big to-do release of Grapples, "true stories" of the grafting of grapes and apples together, floor displays, silliness . . . it's fun, is all.

Probably a good way to move out last fall's harvest. A fun marketing idea.

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

I bought some at PikeSt Market in Seattle. It sucked!!!!

Tasted like Apple soaked in Koolaid

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.

These were in one of the grocery stores near us a few months ago. They smelled like fake grape flavor, and we didn't get any. But I did take a close look at them inside the clamshell, and thought I saw "needle tracks" where flavor might have been injected! icon8.gif

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

I've tasted one as well. I bet this is a flash in the pan. Tasted like it had been soaked in grape Kool-Aid. Or grape jelly....

Exactly. I bought a four-pack at my local grocery store because I'm always up for something new . . . these smelled like grape Kool-Aid (or, actually, like this weird doll I had as a kid, which came in a grape-scented locket) and tasted like a good crisp apple. The smell/taste disjunction was intrusive.