• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

An American Grill--Randolph

Rosie

Last as per freakin usual. All I have to say is that it was a great evening - great company, great food, and a brilliant chef. Thanks for everything Lou

Cheers

Tom

live eg

Just for the record I really want that sashimi again, that and the quail were my absolute favourites

I want food and I want it now

Thanks all, but the real credit goes to my head chef Fernando Corrente, his sous-chef Richard and on the grill Rueben. I just smoozed you all.

Glad everything was up to speck. Now, after Mother's Day service, I'm gonna smoke a little, take a shower, have a glass or two of wine and go to sleep.

Thanks, Lou

P.S. When do we start the chapter of evil egulleteers?

My guess is after I finally make into Zagat's

So, Lou, what's the deal? You're in Zagat's but with no rating! (I got my free copy for entering reviews) Is there anyone who understands the method to their madness??

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

So, Lou, what's the deal?  You're in Zagat's but with no rating!  (I got my free copy for entering reviews)  Is there anyone who understands the method to their madness??

you have got to be the biggest whiner I've heard on here.......!!

That's a rather surprising comment. Care to elaborate?

Edit: I was merely pointing out that after Zagat's told the owner of a terrific restaurant that he was (finally) going to be in the new Zagat's guide, it was odd that there were no ratings to accompany the listing.

Edited by Curlz (log)

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

That's a rather surprising comment.  Care to elaborate?

Edit: I was merely pointing out that after Zagat's told the owner of a terrific restaurant that he was (finally) going to be in the new Zagat's guide, it was odd that there were no ratings to accompany the listing.

I thought so too, but thought I'd wait for you to inquire.

"All humans are out of their f*cking minds -- every single one of them."

-- Albert Ellis

That's a rather surprising comment.  Care to elaborate?

I thought so too, but thought I'd wait for you to inquire.

You need to sign up and submit reviews. You can only do this once. You can update your review. Multiple reviewers are nessesary before scores are posted.

RAF

You need to sign up and submit reviews. You can only do this once. You can update your review. Multiple reviewers are nessesary before scores are posted.

That's a very nice theory. But if you regularly read Egullet, we have done giant threads both in New Jersey and New York putting serious doubt on Zagat's veracity and credibility. There are some very interesting stories and a bit of inside information about how Zagat can intentionally leave a restaurant off their ballot, their scoring system, and use of their signs "Zagat Rated" in restaurant windows where the restaurant actually got an awful review!!

Unfortunately, Zagat now wields tremendous power both with the public and the media...

Edited by menton1 (log)

""That's a very nice theory. But if you regularly read Egullet, we have done giant threads both in New Jersey and New York putting serious doubt on Zagat's veracity and credibility. There are some very interesting stories and a bit of inside information about how Zagat can intentionally leave a restaurant off their ballot, their scoring system, and use of their signs "Zagat Rated" in restaurant windows where the restaurant actually got an awful review!!

Unfortunately, Zagat now wields tremendous power both with the public and the media...""

Welcome to the real world. Same goes for The Wine Spectator and Robert Parker. I will go back and read the threads.

RAF

That's a very nice theory. But if you regularly read Egullet, we have done giant threads both in New Jersey and New York putting serious doubt on Zagat's veracity and credibility. There are some very interesting stories and a bit of inside information about how Zagat can intentionally leave a restaurant off their ballot, their scoring system, and use of their signs "Zagat Rated" in restaurant windows where the restaurant actually got an awful review!!

Unfortunately, Zagat now wields tremendous power both with the public and the media...

My understanding is that the pre-selected places on the Zagat NJ list were recognized by Zagat as having some basic credibility. The write-in votes were not assumed to have that credibility, although some places, like AAG or =Mark's favorite Mexican, surely should have been so assumed.

I'm aware that several people whom I've taken to lunch or dinner at AAG offered write in votes.

FWIW, I've found Curlz and Lreda to be among the most informed and helpful posters on the NJ section of eG.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

I'm hoping this comment isn't directed at me.

Actually, Lou, I think it was directed at me. :hmmm:

I must say, Zagat or no Zagat, I will be trying this place. I've heard & read so much about it, but it's the old saying "so many places, so little time"!! However, after seeing the pics of the food, I've been enticed. :rolleyes:

FWIW, I've found Curlz and Lreda to be among the most informed and helpful posters on the NJ section of eG.

I wholeheartedly agree!!

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

With 3 posts in 9 months, it'll be the dog days of August before we get an explanation.

I am trying to be charitable & hoping that the comment was an attempt at a joke that misfired, because otherwise it's pretty darned rude.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

With 3 posts in 9 months, it'll be the dog days of August before we get an explanation.

I am trying to be charitable & hoping that the comment was an attempt at a joke that misfired, because otherwise it's pretty darned rude.

Considering how curious we all still seem to be, perhaps a pm is in order.

"All humans are out of their f*cking minds -- every single one of them."

-- Albert Ellis

• 4 months later...

I never got around to posting my review from my anniversary dinner about a month ago:

Appetizers

I had the braised short rib ravioli which is just outstanding. I

really love that dish. The rib meat is so tender and flavorful, it's really about the best ravioli dish I've ever tasted.

My wife had the Firecracker Calamari. The blend of spicy and sweet

makes this dish very tasty. I'm not a huge fan of olives, but I can't

hold my own food preferences against the dish.

Entrees

I had the Oven Roasted Pork. I was very happy that the pork was not

overcooked. Recently I had a pork chop at Egan and Sons, and it was so

overcooked that I had trouble cutting through it with a steak knife.

It may have been the only time in my life that I returned a dish to the

kitchen--but I digress... This pork was cooked perfectly, and the

poached pears were a delicious, sweet complement. I really enjoyed it.

My wife had a pan seared Tuna. She asked for it very rare, and she got

it very rare. I remember it being melt in your mouth delicous. A very

high quality tuna--I was pleased.

As for drinks, I had a standard jack and coke. My wife had an apple

martini that she claimed was one of the better apple martinis she'd

ever had. In fact, she ordered a 2nd. I know there was no short pour,

as she was a little toasted from her 2 cocktails.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

• 2 weeks later...

We're heading to An American Grill tomorrow with the family to celebrate two birthdays--mine and my husband's (his is one of the big ones!). No one's posted about a visit in a while, and I'm looking forward to a good one!

Casey

We had a wonderful dinner at An American Grill on Sunday. There were 9 of us, so there were many different choices to be shared!

For appetizers, we had seven spice ahi tuna served with carmelized onions and roasted red peppers that was cooked perfectly; firecracker calamari fried and cooked with garlic, scallions, tomatoes, capers, olives and peppers; a special mushroom soup that was rich and earthy; and braised short rib ravioli.

For dinner, we chose four cheese ravioli in a vodka sauce (the ravioli pasta was tricolored I believe); strip steak with gorgonzola butter; a St. Peter's fish wtih grape tomatoes & Bermuda onion in a plum tomato & garlic sauce (a second choice for that guest when they were out of another dish, but proved worth it); salmon served with a mustard crust in a leek, tomato and shitake mushroom broth; and a special duck breast with a cherry sauce; and rigatoni valentino, which is my brother's favorite pasta dish there, but I cannot recall what was in it (he would not share!).

We sampled a variety of desserts around the table, and the coffee was good and strong.

Lou, you looked a bit "in the weeds" with the very large party, so I didn't say hello, but suffice to say it was a GREAT birthday dinner.

Casey

(aka John's sister)

• 2 weeks later...