• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

An American Grill--Randolph

Rosie

Can someone pick a date? I'm good for most days.

Mondays Tuesdays or Thursdays after Columbus Day

The 20th? Only if you'll be there after 8:00 PM

Nick :smile:

can you do lunch at all on the weekend? either you gotta hit the lottery or i gotta hit the lottery. this work thing is getting in the way of my egulletness.

Yes, I'll get to work on it. Paul sent me the menu but I really haven't looked hard at it. It's my 1st day back to work. I'll look at it over the weekend and e-mail Paul a tasting menu. I'll do a light menu as it is lunch.

If everyone who's attending just confirm now. I'll call and see where they can sit ( or let us kneel) us.

Lou

I'm in, maybe one guest. Where do we sign up for Rosie's lap-dances?

And, I'd be happy to defer comments on lreda's tasting suggestions to somebody who knows sushi. (I don't)

Usually, I go to a sushi place, and somebody says "Eat this." And, I do. I prefer not to know exactly what I'm eating

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

I'm in, maybe one guest.  Where do we sign up for Rosie's lap-dances?

And, I'd be happy to defer comments on lreda's tasting suggestions to somebody who knows sushi. (I don't)

Usually, I go to a sushi place, and somebody says "Eat this." And, I do. I prefer not to know exactly what I'm eating

Send me the tips first and if they are substantial enough we will talk! :shock: How did this all get started? The most I can do is yoga and mediatate! I can also make reservations.

I think I will be attending. 90% sure.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Count me in as one. I'd also be happy to lend any helpful comments that I could regarding the menu selection as I certainly would'nt claim to be an expert but I do have vast sushi dining experiance. Lou, if I can be of any help just say the word. Also, if i am not mistaken the Rosie lap-dance gig is'nt until the Randolph gathering but we can hope for a preview I do suppose. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

A.D.S.

• 1 year later...

I just got off the phone with my Mom, who went to An American Grill last night with Dad and another couple, and she talked to me for 1/2 hour on the phone about the great experience she had. She could not stop talking about the firecracker calamari, the black sea bass with chorizo, or the soft shell crabs (which they said were the meatiest they've ever had.

This was a gift certificate that was part of their Christmas present (I get them a gift certificate to a new place each year), and they said it was the best one ever, and I could just buy them there from now on! Thanks so much Lou.

The whole family is going there on Saturday for my niece/Goddaughter's communion party, and I cannot wait.

Casey

Thanks, I caught them on the way out. i was in the kitchen Sat. Had 2 guys out and was forced into yet another Sat behind the line. I just might stay back there. John's party will be fine Sat. Hope you have a great time.

Just back from my second dinner at An Am Grill in a week... :biggrin: What can I say? I had an appt a mile from there late in the day--I had to! An old friend met me there, and we had a terrific meal once we figured out what to order, as we wanted to try everything on the menu!

We ended up with the baked portabello with goat cheese (Everything Goes Better with Goat Cheese is a personal slogan) and the tuna carpaccio for appetizers. The demi-glace with the mushroom was simply gorgeous--so much so that I commented that I wouldn't mind bathing in that sauce. :blink: The tuna was a huge hit (again with me--it was one of the courses at our eG dinner last week), particularly for J, who's a big sushi fan.

For entrees, I had the black pepper-encrusted pork tenderloin w/shitake mushrooms in a cognac sauce and she had the stuffed (with cornbread and some VERY yummy sausage) pork tenderloin. Needless to say, we both left with lunch for tomorrow! We were too full for dessert, but I had a cappucino, which was a great way to end the meal. The staff, although attending to a few large parties, was beyond attentive, something we all know isn't always easy to find.

Lou, there's some great food coming out of your kitchen! Sorry we missed you, but I'll catch you next time. And for those of you who have been reading this thread and saying "I have to get there," I have just one thing to say--GO!!!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Lou, there's some great food coming out of your kitchen! Sorry we missed you, but I'll catch you next time. And for those of you who have been reading this thread and saying "I have to get there," I have just one thing to say--GO!!!

i think you said something right there when you suggest that the restaurant was hitting it and Lou wasn't there. that's a concern at a lot of places, but not the Grill as far as i've seen. bravo, and i'm jealous, as i had crappy fried chicken on my couch last night. :angry:

Thanks Curlz,

I'm glad everything was good. I was off as my grandmother passed away and I was at the wake today. Funeral tomorrow. A tough day allaround. It was nice to see everything runs well in my absence. I'm sorry I missed you tonight. Let me know next time you're coming and I'll bring the 83' yearbook. :wink:

Tommy, thanks for the good word. It is a good fact to bring up. Sometimes people think that because I know someone a egullet member I fawn over them. Maybe so :raz: . But I still have to cook with whatever product I have and execute.

I'm shot now. Time to go to sleep. Thank God, I have a vacation to look forward to. Leave for Naples Fla Thurs. Sleep on the plane and get the clubs out. See ya all next week :raz: .

I'm glad that both Tommy and Lou read what I was saying--that was the (not so?) subtle point I was trying to convey in addition to reporting on our meal! :smile:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

I can personally attest to the mutual fawning between Lou and Tommy that night. :laugh:

Had a wonderful experience at An American Grill today for a family event. We were 36 people in the separate room for my niece/Godchild's communion party. She's a "foodie in training" even at that young age, as she will try anything!

This is from memory, which isn't always reliable! Started with family-style appetizers at each table: shitake mushroom ravioli in a shrimp, mushroom and tomato sauce that was heavenly, cornmeal crusted calamari, scallops and shrimp with a jalapeno dipping sauce, and mozzarella, red pepper and prosciutto. Even those who typically don't eat scallops were fighting over them--they just melted in your mouth. (Lou, any way I could get the jalapeno dipping sauce recipe?)

After a choice of mesclun salad with shaved parmesan or caesar salad, entrees were steak with a gorgonzola cream sauce, loin of pork with cornbread stuffing and apples, rigatoni valentino, a chicken dish I cannot remember as no one at my table had it, and a pommery crusted salmon over a broth with leeks and mushrooms, which I had. The salmon was perfectly cooked, moist and fresh. They also made my niece her own special appetizer not on our party menu--steamed clams in a wonderful garlic and butter broth (I tried to bribe her to share a clam, but she wouldn't budge, but did let me dip bread into the broth with her afterwards!)

Service was terrific, and we had a wonderful time. Lou, sorry we missed you, but hope you had a great, well-deserved vacation!

Casey

A little self-promoting here on my part ( Yeah, I know something different :laugh: ) An American Grill will run a 3 course prix-fixe menu for $30.04, 5/24-5/27 and 5/31 -6/03. The menu is listed or will be shortly on Table Hopping with Rosie. If anyone has any question about it e-mail me at amgrill64@msn.com.

Lou

This past Saturday, having made no plans in advance and remembereing everyone saying such wonderful things about An American Grill, we called and were able to get a table at 8:30. We were taken to a table for two in an unlit corner. We were greeted by a very friendly server and our drink order was taken. A few minutes later a bread basket was brought over and I was very disappointed by the cold, stale bread. We ordered and our appetizers were very good. My husband had a portabella mushroom baked with goat cheese and I had a caesar salad. Then came our mains- stuffed pork for my husband, which he liked and I had the 7 spice ahi tuna. I thought the tuna was a little chewy and it was spicy. I liked the coolness of the ginger sauce that came with it. I was very unimpressed by the bland rice and as much as I love arugula I couldn't eat it because of all the salt on top of it.

We opted not to have dessert and drove the 40 minutes home. I am glad I satisfied a curiousity and dined at An American Grill. Everyone was very friendly.