• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

An American Grill--Randolph

Rosie

Lowell and I aren't able to get to An American Grill, 246 Rt 10 W, Randolph as often as we like but last night we made it back there and had a delicious dinner. We started off with a special of pan seared seven spice ahi tuna served with baby arugula, caramelized onions and roasted peppers with a ginger-lime aioli sauce. This dish was fabulous with the spicy tuna complimenting the sweet onions. I hope Chef Lou puts this dish on his new menu. For entrees I had a hefty serving of mustard crusted salmon filet served with a leek, tomato and shiitake mushroom broth. Lowell had a very tasty dish consisting of juicy chicken breasts with scallops and wild mushrooms sautéed with garlic, fresh rosemary and a touch of lemon. My dish came with rice and I helped him with his sides of roasted potatoes, carrots and cubes of butternut squash. The kitchen sent out dessert for us and we tried but were unable to finish a humongous glass filled with blackberries, blueberries and strawberries in a zabaglione sauce. To top off this great dinner the cappuccino was very good! Phone: 973-442-9311

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

It's no surprise that An American Grill, 246 Rt 10 W, Randolph won Best New American (North) 2002 restaurant in New Jersey Monthly magazine. We had a fabulous dinner there Friday night. Great bread and butter was placed on the table when we were seated and olive oil was brought per our request. While reading the menu we were also brought chunks of cheese and spicy addictive sauteed zucchini rounds.We started off with a special of pan seared seven spice ahi tuna served with baby arugula, caramelized onions and roasted peppers with a ginger-lime aioli sauce. This is one of my favorite appetizers. We also shared a delicious baked portobello mushroom topped with goat cheese and served with a bacon and balsamic vinegar demi-glace. One friend was eating lightly and had a shrimp cocktail. For entrees I had a "winner" of grilled salmon served over a luscious red and yellow Jersey tomato and red onion salad with grilled Belgian endive and asparagus. The fish was perfectly cooked medium rare as I requested. Lowell had his usual and favorite dish of juicy chicken breasts with scallops and wild mushrooms sautéed with garlic, fresh rosemary and a touch of lemon. The kitchen gladly accommodated a friend's dietary request and served him a plain broiled salmon with rice. Another friend had scallops with tomatoes, olives and capers in a garlic consume. All of us had to refrain from licking our plates clean as everything was so good. For dessert we shared an apple strudel with raisins served with vanilla ice cream. Phone: 973-442-9311

And you? Did you dine out this weekend?

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Thanks Rosie, Glad you enjoyed everything. At least I don't have to stress while on vacation that everything that everything will go wrong. 2 more days left and back to the grind. Believe it or not I miss it ( A little at least) Besides I think I've cooked down here more than in the kitchen lately. :smile:

I have only been there a few times. I was disappointed with the food every time. App was good then the entree was bad. App bad entree good. Good food then the sevice was bad. I also dont like the mixed dress code of people with jeans and others in suits.

I had a good meal at Pierre's Bistro on 202 Morristown this weekend.

I have only been there a few times.  I was disappointed with the food every time.  App was good then the entree was bad.  App bad entree good.  Good food then the sevice was bad.  I also dont like the mixed dress code of people with jeans and others in suits.

I had a good meal at Pierre's Bistro on 202 Morristown this weekend.

chefb, do you prefer restaurants that require "neat casual" more than those requesting jackets?

I also dont like the mixed dress code of people with jeans and others in suits.

Gee, how do you think Mr. Reda enforces that kind of dress code?

Well dressed patron: "Table for two, please."

Mr. Reda: "Sorry, we're currently all filled with suits. If you take off the jacket and tie and your wife changes into a pair of jeans, I can seat you now. Otherwise it's an hour wait."

The Critical Diner

"If posts to eGullet became the yardstick of productivity, Tommy would be the ruler of the free world." -- Fat Guy

I also dont like the mixed dress code of people with jeans and others in suits.

Gee, how do you think Mr. Reda enforces that kind of dress code?

Well dressed patron: "Table for two, please."

Mr. Reda: "Sorry, we've currently all filled with suits. If you take off the jacket and tie and your wife changes into a pair of jeans, I can seat you now. Otherwise it's an hour wait."

Thank you, TCD!!! In times of economic stress and layoffs in companies left and right, restaurants are forced to relax dress codes if we're to remain in business. I'd love to have a restaurant like in the roaring 20's that everyone dressed up but that's gone right now as are the power 80's. Chef, I'm sorry you've been disappointed in your past visits. Perhaps if you were a little specific I could correct said problems. In the past, my experience in this forum is if someone talked up The Grill, someone immediately posted criticism.

Lord knows if Tommy showed up I'd probably do O.K.( The Steak sandwich and Magic Hat #9 offer is still open.

Or perhaps I'll offer once I finally get off my lounge chair at take care of the sushi dinner and host a e-gullet 3-5 course meal at The Grill for a nominal price and everyone can offer a opinion.

Takers?

Me too. Or should I say two! :biggrin: But what happened to the sushi lunch?

I was at a Restaurant Summit this week at The French Culinary Institute. Along with Michael Batterberry and four female chefs one who was Lidia Bastianich the dress issue was discussed. Lidia said that she never turns a customer away if she has a table. However, the table is set into a corner and basically out of the way. She said that she explains to the customer, if there is a problem with the location of the table, that they are being sat there out of respect for the other patrons who are dressed. Her philosophy is not to say that the restaurant has a dress code but when asked about a dress code the answer should be that "out of respect for the other customers patrons are asked to dress properly."

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Best directions:

Take 80 East to 287 South. Stay on 287 South approx 4 miles. Take Rt 10 ( Dover exit) follow 7 1/2 miles. 1/4 mile past K-Mart shopping center.

Rosie, I'm drinking wine on the patio but will get to work on ther sushi lunch now.

Nick, Anchor Steam ready to go.

Offer to host dinner is still open.

yo, is randolph near dover, off of rt 80?

Yes.

Directly on NJ 10, about ten minutes west of I-287.

You could weave thru Dover and Mine Hill from I-80, but it wouldn't save you much time, if any

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo