• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

An American Grill--Randolph

Rosie

Its such an ingrained memory at this point, I had to think a bit! When you come to the end of 24, you'll follow the sign for 287 North, which I believe also has the route 10 logo on the sign. You'll only be on 287 for one exit, and don't even need to get out of the right lane, and then you'll get right onto 10West (left lane of the exit ramp I recall).

You'll only be on the Parkway through the Union tolls. When you approach the Union tolls (~142), stay to the right. You'll actually be merging onto 78East first, and then taking the first exit to make a U-turn onto 78West (there will be signs for this U-turn/Westbound). Depending on your driving speed, you'll be on the Parkway for 10-15 minutes only (I made this trip last week, and it was 10 minutes on the Parkway, 40 minutes for the whole trip).

It sounds complicated, but all signs are very well marked, and I think it sounds like you are traveling with a "copilot" which makes it much easier.

Enjoy AAG!

Casey

Had a wonderful meal at AAG this afternoon. What a lovely place - and terrific food (as you all seem to know already!)

Here are some pictures:

foc.jpg

Complimentary focaccia with chunks of delicious parmigiano

veg.jpg

Vegetable strudel

cs.jpg

Amazing Thai coconut shrimp. The sauce with Malibu Rum was incredible!!

pork.jpg

Stuffed pork (with sausage and cornbread stuffing, adorned with granny smith apples)

veal.jpg

Veal chop - again, the sauce was incredible. Sadly, we forgot the leftovers on the table! wah!

bp.jpg

The sides of beans and potato wedges

cb.jpg

Creme brulee

cm.jpg

Awesome chocolate mousse. Yum!

As our server cleared the table he told us the desserts were on Lou! Thanks so much, Lou!! We were hoping you would be there, but we'll be back, and I'm sure we'll get to thank you in person soon :)

Thanks to Curlz and Casey for terrific directions that got us there without a hitch. And thanks to AAG for a truly memorable meal.

Randi

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

This may come as a shock to some of you but I've been pushed by my family to proceed with a menu that is more Italian that I would like to present. After 12 years in my current location I am considering to move on. I will be here at An American Grill for the next few months until I figure out my next move. Randi's lunch here Sunday is proof that the food at An American Grill will still be 1st rate no matter the type of cusine but a quandry of what I wish to serve. This will be settled as I figure out how I will go about continuing my career. A family buisness is not easy and I have posted often of the pressure of competing against the chain restaurants. Randolph now has a large amount of restaurants, mostly Italian or chains and that seems to be what people want to eat. I have to say though that the thought of not serving lamb sandwiches or other items that seem to be enjoyed by Suzi or David or others have left me pondering my future and looking for other opportunities. All previous menu items will be able to be prepared bearing we have the items on hand.

Not drunk yet but on my way. Give me an hour and two more glasses of Pinot Noir. :unsure:

Edited by Lreda (log)

This may come as a shock to some of you but I've been pushed by my family to proceed with a menu that is more Italian that I would like to present. After 12 years in my current location I am considering to move on. I will be here at An American Grill for the next few months until I figure out my next move. Randi's lunch here Sunday is proof that the food at An American Grill will still be 1st rate no matter the type of cusine but a quandry of what I wish to serve. This will be settled as I figure out how I will go about continuing my career. A family buisness is not easy and I have posted often of the pressure of competing against the chain restaurants. Randolph now has a large amount of restaurants, mostly Italian or chains and that seems to be what people want to eat. I have to say though that the thought of not serving lamb sandwiches or other items that seem to be enjoyed by Suzi or David or others have left me pondering my future and looking for other opportunities. All previous menu items will be able to be prepared bearing we have the items on hand.

Not drunk yet but on my way. Give me an hour and two more glasses of Pinot Noir. :unsure:

It's a shame that Italian has become the standard cuisine of choice of so many in northern NJ. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of Italian food, but there are so many Italian restaurant choices. Most of them are a dime a dozen, and price is no indication of quality.

I enjoy your style of cuisine and the quality of your food. If your restaurant weren't a 30+ minute drive from me, I'd be there more often. I hope that if you do decide to go with a more Italian cuisine, that you'll still take the liberty of keeping a variety of American dishes--if only on the specials menu.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

oh, noooooo

not ANOTHER italian restaurant - but isn't there one in the family already? the joke where i work in sparta is - oh, a new restaurant - italian or a pizza place. where i live in jefferson there are 3 white cloth italian and 2 pizza joints within 1.5 miles.

italian is ok but where can you find good, decent american or french or bistro food?

ok- whining over. lou, good luck with whatever path your life and career takes you. so can i expect some decent spaghetti and meatballs with gravy at the bar? :rolleyes:

love ya anyway

ps- oh, yeah. you should be seeing a coworker and her family tomorrow for dinner - the same ones who were crazy enough to go out during the storm last month.. but hey, you know those retired troopers - they love to go out and play in the snow

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

• 2 weeks later...

Lou? Lou? Where are you? I hope you aren't pulling a Bourdaine out in Vegas :biggrin:

We made a last min run to An American Grill last night only to find Luigi is in Vegas, hopefully winning some money. Not that he needs it the place was packed last night, but we only had to wait a few for a table to be cleared.

The menu seems a little more Italian so we gave a nod to my kin and started with the "meat and cheese platter" the "escarole and bean soup" and as a diversion "Thai coconut shrimp". All very tasty especially the cheese that I dont know what it was :blink: and of course the shrimp - rippin' hot on their chilled pineaple slices with all that Malibu sauce around them.

We moved on to the "sausage and apple stuffed tenderloin" which has the texture of the sausage down so well and cuts like buttuh, and the "monkfish franchese" with an agressive white wine sauce..... luscious. No dessert for us, after 3 apps, 2 entrees, some wine, cocktails, and tip $105

See ya soon

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Lou? Lou? Where are you? I hope you aren't pulling a Bourdaine out in Vegas :biggrin:

We made a last min run to An American Grill last night only to find Luigi is in Vegas, hopefully winning some money. Not that he needs it the place was packed last night, but we only had to wait a few for a table to be cleared.

The menu seems a little more Italian so we gave a nod to my kin and started with the "meat and cheese platter" the "escarole and bean soup" and as a diversion "Thai coconut shrimp". All very tasty especially the cheese that I dont know what it was :blink: and of course the shrimp - rippin' hot on their chilled pineaple slices with all that Malibu sauce around them.

We moved on to the "sausage and apple stuffed tenderloin" which has the texture of the sausage down so well and cuts like buttuh, and the "monkfish franchese" with an agressive white wine sauce..... luscious. No dessert for us, after 3 apps, 2 entrees, some wine, cocktails, and tip $105

See ya soon

tracey

Sorry I missed you. Just back from Vegas. Will post in Southwest on restaurants further. Ate at Fleur du Leys, Bouchoun and L'Atltier. Won betting college basketball, lost on blackjack. Was up at 4am, 2 hours before flight left but had to split 4 3's and double down on one of them. $500 investment, lost $300. Fucking Joel Robuchon! Too much food and not enough wine on the tasting menu. Couldn't sleep.

P.S. French Toast and bacon at Bouchon was unbelieveable!!!

Edited by Lreda (log)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks to Dbrochier and his kind word of my thievery of "The Brew Chef" on his blog. :hmmm: David, you know I love ya.

Not meant entirely to self-promote but this weekend is Mets-Yanks and the specials this weekend will include Roasted Suckling Pig, Panko Encrusted Soft Shell Crabs with homemade shoestring potatoes and roasted almond and Blackened Shrimp & Scallops over baby lallarosa and baby red romaine with a blood orange dressing. The bar will be smoke-free and if anyone has question s about the smoking law I will tell you business is down 40% in the bar.

Sincerely, to all of you that have supported us in the past, I thank you.

Edited by Lreda (log)

Um, whose "Dbrochier"? Thanks for the kind words but more importantly thanks for making such an outstanding dish with amazing consistency.

Hey, that weekend menu sounds great. Can I get the soft shells without almonds? I'm allergic. I wasn't gonna come up until Tuesday May 30th for my bi-weekly visit but I think I'm going to revise those plans. Menu sounds too good to miss. Note to other members of the AAG management: you should be doing more of this kind of thing, not less.

Hey Lou, too bad about Arsenal. Sounds like it was a good game.

Words to break Lou's heart: Go Yankees!

I can't spell and neither can you. "Ugh, Whose dbrochier" Good to see we have a decent sense of humor.

Beware The Mets.

A chance to get my money back.

Dude, the pig really is great if I say so myself and of course you may have the crabs sans almonds.

lou

• 1 month later...

We finally made it back to An American Grill and I'm glad we did! We had a great meal and great service. We went with friends who live nearby and between the four of us we got to taste a wide variety of items - mostly off the specials menu. For appetizers we sampled the Ahi Tuna, the Shrimp with Green Sauce, the Mozzarella, Hot Sauce, and Wild Mushroom Puff, and the Vegetable Strudel. All four we nicely plated and tasted delicious, but the tuna was our favorite. Entrees included the Blackened Shrimps and Scallops, the Filet Mignon, and Soft Shell Crabs. Again they we all winners. The filet arrived medium-rare (as ordered) and was so tender you didn't need a knife to cut it. I loved the panko -coated soft shell crabs and I'm looking forward to having the one I took home for lunch today. We ended the evening with two orders of Tiramisu and one Creme Brulee. The guys raved about the Tiramisu which is homemade. I was too full to have desert so I ordered an Irish Coffee instead and nibbled on my friend's Creme Brulee.

After dinner I stopped at the bar and met Lou. He is a delightful host and was gracious enough to chat with me after I mentioned that I enjoyed reading his egullet posts. I am sorry that we don't live closer to An American Grill (it's a long ride from the shore to Randolph) or we'd be there more often.

Every now and then I scan through the forums and something stands out ..

I spent two very happy years living in Randolph, and am thrilled to see that An American Grill is still going strong. We'd lived in some really nice food cities, and my limited time planning the relocation was devoted strictly to housing, schools, and proximity to Mr. FB's job. So the restaurants (especially AAG) were a delight to discover.

Didn't mean to hijack; just wanted to say it's nice to reminisce.

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office