• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

An American Grill--Randolph

Rosie

Randi,

Do let me know if there's anything I can do to make your roommate's bithday dinner enjoyable.

Let's see...male strippers dressed like police officers? oh, wait..you meant food-wise??

From what I've read, she is in for a treat. Just do what you folks do best! :biggrin:

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

Randi,

Do let me know if there's anything I can do to make your roommate's bithday dinner enjoyable.

Let's see...male strippers dressed like police officers? oh, wait..you meant food-wise??

From what I've read, she is in for a treat. Just do what you folks do best! :biggrin:

Male strippers dressed like police? I'm getting this Village People thing running through my brain. You're right, I'll just cook.

Had lunch here today with the Chef and we mourned the passing of a certain Doctor of Journalism and some copyright infringement done in his name. :biggrin:

Lou, that lamb sandwich was great. Maybe even better than your famous steak sandwich, dare I say that? What was that Pinot Noir by the glass called? It was excellent, a great recommendation.

Raise a glass of Mark West Pinot Noir to the passing of the late, great Doctor. Glad you like the lamb sandwich, that and the meat loaf have been a big hit at the bar. Don't be a stranger David. Thanks.

Lou

Raise  a glass of Mark West Pinot Noir to the passing of the late, great Doctor. Glad you like the lamb sandwich, that and the meat loaf have been a big hit at the bar. Don't be a stranger David. Thanks.

Lou

lamb sandwich, lou? how do you serve it?

(busting you - all i see on the website is the regular dining room menu :wink: )

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Suzi my dear,

Lamb tenderloin sliced thin and marinated with garlic, baltic sea salt & rosemary with carmelized onions and a pink horseradish dressing.

edited

OH!! SWEET JESUS!!!!!!

HMMMMM... i'm off tuesday - will it still be on the menu?

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

lou, sorry i couldn;t post yesterday - i was having x rays - and to all please excuse any typos - i'm typing with my left hand only

RUN, DON'T WALK TO GET THIS SANDWICH - of couse making sure that is available first

new barmaid (note to self - take a new batch of bourbon brownies next time) gave her my lunch order - lamb sandwich with ice water and a piece of lime then ducked into the ladies room to put on the new bra i had to buy at kmart - finished a workout and found i had forgotten to addthat important piece of clothing to my bag. it would NOT have be pretty otherwise.

lou was betwixt and between the bar and the kitchen and greeting guests .

out came lunch a lovely - potato roll?- filled with medium lamb, some amazing carmelized onions, arulula? and the pink horseradish sauce accompanied by potato salad and some lentils ( i am so not a french fry girl). normally i eat only half my plate but i'm sorry - i inhaled the sandwich and about half of the sides. then i ordered another sandwich and brought it home. sent half the sandwich and the potato salad to work with johnnybird - had the other half of the sandwich for my breakfast (before taking the percocet) and added the lentils to some leftover soup

i would rather eat this everyday for lunch or dinner than a burger... it was wonderful.

unfortunately johnnybird will have to suffer with meatloaf sandwiches after he gets home to mix it up... hey cutting onions can be done lefthanded - who knew?

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

How did the non-lamb eater enjoy his sandwich?

Suzi, you always make me laugh girl. It was good to see you again. Glad you enjoyed what is a simple dish. It's fun to make fun food that both you and David seemed to enjoy so much.

How did the non-lamb eater enjoy his sandwich?

Suzi, you always make me laugh girl. It was good to see you again. Glad you enjoyed what is a simple dish. It's fun to make fun food that both you and David seemed to enjoy so much.

johnnybird really enjoyed the HALF sandwich and the potato salad i gave him. it was good cold the next day - that's what i had for breakfast before i ingested by antiinflammatory and my pain pill

HELLO - balsamic carmelized onions are not simple food but simple food prepared well will trump fussy food any day for me. stuffed peppers for tonight - done with red peppers, ground buffalo and tomato orzo - simple yes, good and flavorful too

glad you got a laugh about me forgetting my bra - the girls floating free would NOT have been a good thing - even at the bar :shock:

gotta bring 'chelle since that english/irish lass does love a good lambie(actually swung by her place but she wasn't home - otherwise johnnybird wouldn't have gotten any

Edited by suzilightning (log)

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Wondering what kind of business Lou is going to do tonight, or whether Sam Champion succeeded in scaring everyone into staying home again.

Actually the roads here are a real mixed bag & even though the storm is over, once they freeze up the going could get quite nasty. Don't know what conditions are out American Grill way, but I think this could be a legitimately scarier night than that of the "blizzard."

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

No answer for you all as I'm in NYC at my ladies house. Had a decent luch at Cookshop, 20th & 10th and a abismal early dinner at Rare ine village which I can't wait to post in NYC section.

• 2 weeks later...
Randi,

Male strippers dressed like police? I'm getting this Village People thing running through my brain. You're right, I'll just cook.

Lou, do we need reservations if we come early Sunday afternoon? You open at 1, right?

eta: Can someone give me directions from the edison area? mapquest doesn't recognize the address!

Edited by Randi (log)

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

Actually, it's probably only about 7-8 miles up Rt. 10 (Westbound). After you see the McDonald's and the big KMart/Staples shopping center, you want to be in the right lane, and as you come up the hill, there's a big sign for...Curley Stone, iirc (they sell granite walkways and the like)--AAG is in the small strip of stores immediately after the stone place.

How'd I do, Lou? :raz:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Actually, it's probably only about 7-8 miles up Rt. 10 (Westbound).  After you see the McDonald's and the big KMart/Staples shopping center, you want to be in the right lane, and as you come up the hill, there's a big sign for...Curley Stone, iirc (they sell granite walkways and the like)--AAG is in the small strip of stores immediately after the stone place. 

How'd I do, Lou?  :raz:

Much more accurate than my directions. Good thing you haven't left yet. :biggrin:

Thanks Curlz and David. 287 is the long way around but an easy and pleasant ride. Sold!

Mapquest had me taking 78 and 24 and such.

Anything you'd suggest that's "not to be missed" at AAG? Besides Lou, of course :biggrin:

The tuna sashimi with apple wasabi....and espresso martinis for dessert

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Randi, I make that trip from Metuchen often, as I have family nearby. While 287 to 10West is the easiest, you'll save about 10 minutes off your trip if you are near the GSP. I now go that route, which is GSP North to 78West to 24West to 287/10West. I know that it sounds more complicated, but it is a shorter trip and the switching also makes it feel even quicker than the long ride on 287 alone.

Either way is fine, but that is another option!

I would also second the suggestion for the Espresso Martini--YUM!

Casey

Randi, I make that trip from Metuchen often, as I have family nearby.  While 287 to 10West is the easiest, you'll save about 10 minutes off your trip if you are near the GSP.  I now go that route, which is GSP North to 78West to 24West to 287/10West.  I know that it sounds more complicated, but it is a shorter trip and the switching also makes it feel even quicker than the long ride on 287 alone.

Either way is fine, but that is another option!

I would also second the suggestion for the Espresso Martini--YUM!

Casey

Thanks, Casey - is that 24 West and then the exit says "287/10W"? or is that an exit for 287 and I take that to 10W?

How long would you say it would take once on the Parkway (at 131)?