• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"What and Where" Fast Food Wonders

Best Cannoli -- Nicolosi's on Ventura in Encino. They are not in the case as they fill them fresh for you when you come in so be sure to ask.

Best Italian Deli -- Sorrento's on Sepulveda in Culver City. Many, many good things there. Any of the fresh sliced deli meats I've gotten there have been great, the fresh mozzarella was fab, lots and lots of other good stuff. (Except, skip the cannoli here and head to Nicolosi's. Too bad they are not closer together.)

For a selection of great burger places, see JSChyun's summary of the article in today's LA Times in the digest posted on this board and for a link to the full article.

Langer's on Alvarado just west of downtown LA for great hand-sliced pastrami and fabulous rye bread.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

damiano's for ny style pizza; india sweet house on pico/fairfax for north indian comfort food; sunnin (spelling?) for great lebanese on the corner of westwood and santa monica. does hanbat sullung tang (again, sp.?) in koreatown count? they only have one item on their menu (with variations).

damiano's for ny style pizza; india sweet house on pico/fairfax for north indian comfort food; sunnin (spelling?) for great lebanese on the corner of westwood and santa monica. does hanbat sullung tang (again, sp.?) in koreatown count? they only have one item on their menu (with variations).

Is that Damiano's on Fairfax near Beverly? I used to get pizza there around 30 years ago, when I did hard time in our LA office. Even cold on the morning after it was good. I always stayed at the Beverly Laurel or the Farmers Market motels and hit Damiano's, a Hungarian(?) place next door, and of course Canters (warm atmosphere, lousy over-cooked brisket, just like home -- but I've upgraded chefs since then).

Is that Damiano's on Fairfax near Beverly? I used to get pizza there around 30 years ago, when I did hard time in our LA office. Even cold on the morning after it was good. I always stayed at the Beverly Laurel or the Farmers Market motels and hit Damiano's, a Hungarian(?) place next door, and of course Canters (warm atmosphere, lousy over-cooked brisket, just like home -- but I've upgraded chefs since then).

yup! and the pizza's still pretty good. i'm happy to report that canter's has not upgraded their waitresses. i once had a roach crawl over the back of my date's chair there--when i pointed it out to the old dragon serving us she casually knocked it off with her hand, stepped on it and kept taking our order.

there's a lot of great fast food at the farmers market too, of course.

Doing a search, all the "Amici's" I find are in the Bay area.

Actually, there is an Amici's in Palm Desert...no I take it back...it's Rancho Mirage; but it's not a fast food place it's a fairly nice restaurant and it's delicious.

One of my favorite places up N. CA was Hi Tech Burrito for a fast food fix, but guess they don't exist down here :sad:

There was a place called Skip's Cabana Club (interestingly enough is what's now Amici's) that made the best prime rib sandwich for lunch. I miss them.

There's a little chain here in the desert called "Goody's" ....I love their gyros, and Arnold Palmer's has great homemade potato chips that they serve with a blue cheese dip.

Other than that, we are living in a fast food wasteland here :wacko:

Oops...I forgot to add that the BEST burger I've EVER had in my life was at the Hotel Bel Aire. I don't care how much it costs, it's worth it and if I lived in LA, I'd be there once a week for one....it's the first thing I order when we visit....well, sitting in the bar...it's almost like fast food, isn't it? :unsure: