• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eating Adventures in Atlanta

jeffj

The crowd was also very different on the one Friday that I've eatem there. I usually go during the week, for work, and the crowd's what you'd expect: well-heeled, quiet, lots of expense account dining.

The Friday we were there (wedding anniversary) found us dining with, well, some very interesting sorts. And not just one sort of interesting, lots of different sorts of interesting.

Anyway, Menard was there, and the staff was gracious, and the food was fantastic.

Edit to add that it's not particularly difficult to get reservations at The Dining Room---a week in advance should be plenty.

Edited by therese (log)

Can you pee in the ocean?

Glad therese mentioned Restaurant Eugene. It's a great addition to the Atlanta restaurant scene. The food is different from the Dining Room or Seegers or Bacchanalia, not quite as much upper-end sophistication, but it is extemely well prepared and does manage to be influenced by southern flavors without overly relying on tired motifs like cheese grits, etc.. The experience of eating there is refreshingly pleasant. Quiet, staid, but not stuffy; elegant, stylish, but THANKFULLY not hyper-trendy like so many failed restaurants in this city (fusebox, commune...)

Yes, Seegers service has had problems. I think this might eminate from Chef Seeger himself, who from what I can tell is not the most personable guy around. (see http://www.atlantacuisine.com/chefstalks/guenterseeger.html for a very telling interview with him. Compare it to other chef interviews on the site. Kind of reminds me of Alton Brown). But I must say that 2 of the 3 dinners that I've had there were absolutely fantastic. DR with Menard (don't know if he was physically there that night) was a minor disappointment. Bacchanalia was good, but also a notch below Seegers. Only Atlanta meal that has rivalled those 2 Seegers meals was the DR when Joel Antunes was there.

IMO, of course

Chip Wilmot

Lack of wit can be a virtue

DR with Menard (don't know if he was physically there that night) was a minor disappointment.  Bacchanalia was good, but also a notch below Seegers.  Only Atlanta meal that has rivalled those 2 Seegers meals was the DR when Joel Antunes was there.

If you didn't know if Menard was there the night you dined at The Dining Room then I'm guessing that he wasn't. Because he makes a point of visiting tables, often more than once if you're there for a long dinner.

Can you pee in the ocean?

DR with Menard (don't know if he was physically there that night) was a minor disappointment.  Bacchanalia was good, but also a notch below Seegers.  Only Atlanta meal that has rivalled those 2 Seegers meals was the DR when Joel Antunes was there.

If you didn't know if Menard was there the night you dined at The Dining Room then I'm guessing that he wasn't. Because he makes a point of visiting tables, often more than once if you're there for a long dinner.

In our case - it was kind of a slow night when he was in the kitchen (Thursday in August) - and he personally brought out a dish that he was in the process of "perfecting" for the menu - and asked for our comments. Robyn

it's not particularly difficult to get reservations at The Dining Room---a week in advance should be plenty.

Have taken your advice for our anniversary dinner, therese, and made reservations for a weekday night .. simple and without any effort .. looking forward to the experience!

quite an elegant menu ... Thanks!

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I recommend going to Manresa, GG.

:-P

Thanks, Isaac, but I went to Manresa last Labor Day vacation on my trip to Santa Cruz .. but, we are in Atlanta this time, where we live, and have decided upon the Dining Room at the Ritz Carleton since we have not eaten there yet ... :wink:

but but it's even better now! :-D

I never dined at the Ritz and really don't know many that has. You better give a good review and a photo of the two of ya. You could be Jason Perlow in a dress :-)

Edited by Painting (log)

Isaac Bentley

Without the culinary arts, the crudeness of the world would be unbearable. - Kate & Leopold

• 2 weeks later...
The Dining  Room would also be my first choice for a big anniversary.

The room, despite it's feeling a bit dated, was actually re-done within the last couple of years. But in the Atlanta market the old school approach to a dining room is actually refreshing, as most restaurants have adopted a certain frenetic, one-size-fits-all trendo look (and vibe) that's fine, but a bit tiresome after a while.

On your recommendation, therese, as well as others, we did select The Dining Room at the Ritz Carleton in Buckhead and found your impressions to be absolutley dead right .. in every respect .. Chef Menard was cooking last night and came out afterward to greet us ... nice impressive touch ... as well as many other 'highlights' of the evening ... the ambiance and entire panoply of small touches is covered:

in this new thread on classy dining experiences

Thanks to everyone who offered their insights on this restaurant! It was perfection for the occasion!

Do they still have the dessert trolley?  Did you save room for it? 

The dessert trolley which appeared at the end of the meal, was a truly delightful surprise! I did have a bit of room left and everything was kind of miniatures so I was fine .. a lovely idea! :biggrin: