• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: nessa - Dallas, Texas... Feel the burn!

nessa

I believe that the Vietnamese refer to the unfried kind as Goi Cuon (sounds like, in my very bad vietnamese accent, Goy Kwan) and the fried spring rolls as Cha Gio (sounds like Chai Ya). At least, this is so in the region that my co-workers are from.

I believe that's correct, as I recognize those spellings from menus.

Whether that's pronounced correctly or not will have to come from someone else.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Its in a questionable part of town, but in the same complex as a cop shop so I think its pretty safe. 

Cop shop must mean something different where you live.

Is that a mini-police station?

Yes, thats exactly what it is. Apparently well needed in that area.

But that restaurant is really quite neat. They had the traditional tables with covers, in a private area, cordoned off by gossamer curtains. It looks like a nice place for a group to meet, earlier in the evening :wink:

There is also an african convenient store in that complex that looked to have some very interesting items. Unfortunately, at the time we visited, it reeked of what smelled like urine? But I bet there are some neat finds in there in any case.

I'm doing some prep work for the spring rolls. I'll let the veggies marinate for a couple of hours, as I go out to eat at a Thai place, then mosey over to Central Market. I'm meeting a friend there so it should be lots of fun. I hope they let me take pictures!

Tonight its Aloo Gobi Mattar with saffron/cumin rice.

Thanks for deciding what I'm going to have for dinner tonight! That looks real good.

I live to serve :raz::raz::cool:

I'm flattered that it looked apealing enough to inspire you.

Ok, breakfast pictures updated, and on to lunch.

Lunch was the aloo gobi mattar and saffron rice, garnished with one of my favorite stuffed pepper pickle. I also snuck one of the Indian sweets.

i7774.jpg

On the way home, I stopped at this place called 99 cent only. Its a nifty dollar store grocery.

On the right are two of the items I found, that might be interesting to try with the aloo.

i7772.jpg

And now, off to feed the Man some of this:

i7773.jpg

Then off to dinner!

Edited by nessa (log)

Wow, just saw some video on the news of the weather around Dallas....hope you guys are okay.

Gimme an earthquake anytime. I don't miss tornados at all.

Dave Valentin

Retired Explosive Detection K9 Handler

"So, what if we've got it all backwards?" asks my son.

"Got what backwards?" I ask.

"What if chicken tastes like rattlesnake?" My son, the Einstein of the family.

Ok, I'm home (safe and sound thanks y'all)

I've got pics edited and I'm having technical trouble uploading.

The weather is hellish, I ended up driving the last 15 minutes in pouring rain and gusting winds. Bad timing, nessa, but hey.... I was out of coffee, capice?

Anyway, I think I've created too many albums and can't view em all. So here are the shots of dinner, and I'll work on the rest in the meantime.

Here is the restaurant

i7776.jpg

This is what my ever so beautiful dining partner had:

Tom Yaum Gai. And yes, I made dirty jokes with the name. Bad nessa, bad.

i7775.jpg

This stuff is ambrosia. Its major flavors are keffir lime, lemon grass, chicken and cilantro.

And I had larb. At least I think thats what it said.

i7777.jpg

I hate to cut this short but I think my power surge protector just was triggered. Back in a bit I hope.

Yes, it was with chicken, basil, cilantro, mint, lemongrass, lime juice, lovely red onions, and a healthy dose of chile. the did offer it with pork or beef

Its all over a bed of lettuce, and I was really all over it! I've got enough leftover for lunch. Which is a good thing, considerin' my lazy butt ain't making diddly tonight. I'll post my pics from CM and toddle off to bed.

Ok, here is my home away from home. Just kidding.

I forgot to take a picture of the outside.

After dinner, which was just across the street, the wind picked up, the skies blackened, and we debated just making a run for home. But we were already *there* and I needed coffee. I also wanted to spread the good word, if you know what I mean. I'm a believer :rolleyes:

So, I rather rushed through the store in record time, and probably saved myself a bundle in the process.

So, as you enter you start in the veggie section.

i7778.jpg

I can easily spend 30 min or so browsing all the different varieties of peppers, herbs, potatoes etc. I've never seen their produce look anything but fresh and delicious. Heaven.

Moving right along at a rather smart pace for my short little legs, we come to the fruit area. I had to get some nectarines, just look at em! I also snagged a big ol' mango.

i7779.jpg

i7780.jpg

We briskly breeze though the fish counter...

i7781.jpg

to the meat counter:

i7782.jpg

I couldn't find ground lamb, so I summoned one of the meat goddeses and she pointed the package out to me. Above my eye level, of course. Figures :hmmm: .

This lamb. :wub: Its so pretty it made me jump up and down with joy, much to the amusement of said goddess, and the embarassment of my beautiful dining partner. I thought it was beef at first, it was so... red. Its a bit of a thick grind, and doesn't have nearly the fat content of ground lamb that I've found everywhere else. I can't wait to use it. I'm thinkin' kefta/kofta are in my near future. Depends on when I get to the Middle Eastern market. I wonder if I should freeze it just in case......

I digress. We flew past the wine section, listening to the ominous rumbles and grumbles from outside.

i7783.jpg

That brought us bustling to the bulk section. After adroitly pilfering two cups of sample coffee, I filled up on some coffee beans. I am an adultress. I like flavored coffee.

I also like unflavored, but I'm weak. They didn't have what I wanted so I mixed a coconut, cinnamon hazelnut and amaretto. Last week they had one similar but this time they were out and only had it in the ever-so-pointless-to-me decaf :wacko: So, I improvised, as they were all the same price.

Here's one third-ish of the coffee selection.

i7784.jpg

On we ran, past the bakery....

i7785.jpg

i7786.jpg

which was alarmingly depleted. Granted it was what, an hour before closing or something? This is where I come when I don't feel like baking bread. Superb.

This does not do their cheese selection justice.

i7787.jpg

And dang it, I forgot to grab me some camembert. Just as well, I suppose. I have no control.

And, finally, by the checkout, their floral section.

i7788.jpg

Out we scampered to the car, in vain hopes of making it home before the rain hit.

Well, thats it for tonight, who knows what tomorrow will hold? Kefta? Something with veal? Anyone know how long ground lamb is good in the fridge?

Y'all be safe!

Edited by nessa (log)

Nessa, do you remember the rest of the slogan on the wall of the bread section? "Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with..."

Michael aka "Pan"

Nessa, do you remember the rest of the slogan on the wall of the bread section? "Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with..."

A sharp knife? Nah...

"..... total abandon and no fear of failure."

Not to mention that you should act as if no one is watching :laugh:

Havn't been to central market - just guessing.

Mabelline, I have power, thank goodness. MUAHHAHHAHHHAAAAAAAAA.

PumpkinLover, I can PM you an approximation. And anyone else that wants it for that matter. I hate to post it since I didn't write down the exact recipe this time.

Foodie, thats the Dallas store.

I don't remember but I'm sure I'll get by there soon and I'll pay attention this time.

Breakfast today was the other bundle from the Vietnamese store, and a nectarine.

This bundle was quite different yet every bit as delicious. I'm going back for more, thats for sure. This one had in it yellow mung beans, pork belly, and a lot of black pepper :wub: . The nectarine was out of this world. The smell alone was worth its weight in gold.

#pictures to be added later#

Lunch was the Larb. I had it cold, and loved it. I think I'll be making this on the dog days of summer. I put it on a bed of marinated napa cabbage and julianned carrots, which I took them from my spring roll stash. :hmmm:

I *have* to make those tonight. The rest I'll decide when I get home, I guess.

#pictures to be added later#

The cheese section alone of your "home" (it would be mine too) makes me consider employment options in Texas. :)

Come on down!!!! Or over, or up, wherever you are, just come!

Texas really is hallowed ground, you know. :biggrin: I almost kissed the ground when we got back from Chicago. As much as I moan about the heat, and as much as I like to travel, it just gets in your blood. We used to refer to Texas, jokingly, as the Promised Land, when we were up north. I've loved every place that I've lived, to be honest. But there's just something about Texas. Maybe its that the heat makes you crazy?

Just make sure you settle somewhere that has a Central Market :rolleyes:

Speaking of which, I might need to stop back by today to get that camembert that I forgot. And I've a hankering for some good bleu. :hmmm:

Great blog! As the bumper sticker says - "I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as fast as I could." People who come to visit us are always amazed how seriously Texans take their home state.

Central Market (or as we call it "Central Markup") is an awesome store. I haven't seen any other store with so much variety of so many types of products. I live in Austin and go to the central location almost every week even though it's a bit out of the way for me. Whole Foods is similar, but they focus too much on the organic/natural products rather than greate selection of gourmet (for lack of other word) products. It's interesting that both stores got started in Austin.

Edited by elion_84 (log)