• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hot Doug's Rebirth?

Ate at the new Hot Doug's last Saturday (and will most certainly eat there tomorrow). I really like the new space a lot. Although we were in line for quite a long time, I was surprised at how easy it was to get a seat once you had given your order. This was certainly not the case at the last place. We split the Pheasant Sausage with blue cheese and the Duck Sausage with foie gras, goats cheese, sauternes and white truffle oil. Both were really good, especially the latter (although, as Doug himself said, using those ingredients is kind of like cheating). Also had the duck fat fries which were as good as ever and the normal fries too, which made for a nice contrast.

Incidentally, my girlfriend was there this Monday (her third visit since it reopened) and she saw Homaro Cantu there. Or maybe it was a similar looking chap who was also called Homaro :rolleyes: Well, however it was, hopefully he enjoyed his sausage.

I made it out to Hot Doug's to day. The line was long, but at least we didn't have to wait outiside in the 10 degree whether for too long. Anyway, after a long wait, the food was worth it. I'm a first timer, but the new place seemed looks pretty nice.

Anyway, I had a Chardog which was good, a pork dog, which was really really good, and a smoked rattlesnake dog which was very good.

Its definitly a cool place and I can tell I'm going to love the "Game-Dog" of the week. Looking forward to getting down there again.

Some people say the glass is half empty, others say it is half full, I say, are you going to drink that?

Ben Wilcox

benherebfour@gmail.com

• 4 months later...

We hit Hot Dougs yesterday-- the line was very short for a Saturday. One interesting development-- Doug has started to get exclusive sausages custom-made to his recipes. Several weeks ago my husband, who has developed a major Hot Dougs obsession, had an encased Ruben that was quite delicious. It had corned beef sausage (another exclusive) and was topped with sauerkraut and Russian dressing. Yesterday we had the exclusive rib-eye sausages with chimichurri-- delicious, but a bit rich. I can't wait to see what Doug dreams up next.

Thanks for the snapshot, iguana. That reuben sounds simply glorious :biggrin:

A friend's wife has been absolutely jonesing on HD's since it reopened, hitting almost weekly and giving it high praise. My friend told me even the cold leftovers she brought home were great. :wink:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

I hit this spot for the encased rib-eye w/ jimi hendrix, err 'chimichurri' sce. The dog did hit the spot and made me feel rich! The line on Monday @ noon was out the door, the wait was not bad. I, too, look forward to Doug's next dog of inspiration.

Pick up your phone

Think of a vegetable

Lonely at home

Call any vegetable

And the chances are good

That a vegetable will respond to you