• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bonnes-Mares Grand Cru 1997

Andre

Bonnes-Mares Grand Cru, Domaine Comte Georges de Vogue 1997.

Tasted May 28th in a Burgundy glass.

Bottle number 01216

A beautiful appealing dark and red cherry color.

The nose starts of with a dusty-oaky bouquet, with hints of spices, herbs and red currants.

Five to ten minutes and the snowball starts to roll. Central European black cherry jam develops and beautifully balanced spices that linger elegantly, all within a top quality Burgundy Frame.

IN the mouth the wine is smooth on the entry with a respectable amount of acidity highlighting the side of the mouth. Soft tannins caress the slowly developing fruits with a friction that reflects over-ripeness.

A soft juicy finish with a dry peppery tannins lingering in the mouth.

Twenty to fourty minutes later, the fruits continue to develop with oak sticking around a bit too much for my taste disturbing a could have been perfect harmony.

Rich and concentrated flavors accompanied the wines until the last glass was bottom up.

A wonderful and complex Burgundy wine true to the nature of a Grand Cru Bonnes-Mares.

Drink now – 2008.

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.