• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Truffle Oil

jg488

I don't think you will find a lot of variation. If you look very closely at the bottles you will see that the descriptions are often careful to be precise but are ultimately misleading -- they look like they are made in Italy, or France, and are usually completely synthetic and often synthesized in New Jersey but have very Italian looking bottles. Notice that the discussion above about the Code of Federal Regulations seems to miss the point that the labels DO NOT say "natural truffle flavoring" but avoid the word natural because they are artificial. (Also many small production flavorings are not always in compliance with labeling laws).

If you're familiar with truffles, white or black (Perigord or Burgundy/summer/winter), your first experience with truffle oil is likely to be amazement that there could be so much truffle flavor for so little money. However, as with many synthetic products (vanillin, for example), after you've used it a few times you may begin to have a sense that you are dealing with a one-dimensional flavor that is not really comparable to the real thing.

In short, most if not all "truffle oil" - even from reputable truffle merchants - contains no truffle. The points above about the ubiquity of truffle oil crowding out appreciation for the real thing are well taken -- look what has happened to Balsamic vinegar, where people who call it "Balsamic" may scorn or waste the real thing if they encounter it.

This topic got me thinking about my white truffle oil (made in Spain but packaged and sold by a local providore, Simon Johnson), which does smell and taste like truffles.

The label says:

"Extra virgin olive oil, white truffle (5%). The infused oil matures for a month before it is bottled to intensify its strength, aroma, and flavour."

It has a small chunk of truffle sitting in the bottom of the bottle.

Comparing the smell directly with that of oil in which shaved truffles are stored, it is far less pungent but seems to have the same notes (a bit like a muted, recorded, song versus one performed live).

Over extended periods of storage (as recommended, in a cool place out of direct sunlight), it does lose its flavour but seems to keep it longer than people have stated here.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I couldnt resist buying some black truffle oil at Cost Plus because I had a 10 dollar off coupon( off a 30 dollar purchase). Did I waste my money? What can I do with it. I dont eat red meat or a lot of pork. Does that limit my options? Please help.

If it's nice quality oil you can boil some potatoes, let them get cold and slice them about 1cm thick. Add a few drops of truffle oil on top and some sea salt - delicious!

If not quite so good you can make some tagliarini (or tagliatelle if easier to get) and toss with butter, parmesan and some cooked porcini mushrooms (or lesser varieties). At the last minute add the truffle oil and some chopped parsley. Very nice.

Basically goes very well with anything earthy (potatoes, mushrooms etc.) or starchy risotto and pasta etc.

Edited by joesan (log)

I use black and white truffle oil as a condiment, drizzle some over eggs, steamed asparagus (with shaved parmesan and a bit of good balsamic), things like that.

There's a caveat though, some "truffle oil" never saw a truffle, but contains a chemical that smells and tastes like truffle. The small print should tell you if they used real truffles. At $10 I'd suspect that it's not real truffle. That being said, it can still be quite good and it would probably be hard to tell the difference unless you server it to a truffle fanatic. I see it in the same regard as artificial vanilla taste, which can be just fine too, depending on the application.

If it's good quality, you won't need much, I'd suggest to put it in the fridge to slow the oil from going rancid before you have a chance to use it up. It might get solid or cloudy, but will clear up pretty quick once you take it out.

As for returning it, for $10 that seems hardly worth the trip, unless you go there frequently.

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

Don't know what your food labelling laws are but if they put chemicals in, they have to put them on the label here or get into a lot of trouble. I only buy truffle oil that lists as ingredients truffles and oil and nothing else.

My eG Foodblog

Added to say that I looked at the truffle oil that I buy and it says it contains only truffles and olive oil. Smaller bottles by the same providore but not from the same manufacturer say "oil and truffle aroma." Dick I know you are totally right in the latter case.

My eG Foodblog