• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

View of the City

tommy

Quote: from tommy on 11:48 am on Oct. 12, 2001

i'm trying to think of some places that offer a view of the city that would be appropriate for an office party of 50 or so people.  so far, i've come up with:  the chart house, arthur's landing, and that's about it.

isn't there a place in jersey city?  and can anyone think of anything else?

any help is appreciated.

thanks

I ate with Rachel at Chart House recently after the Sept 11 disaster -- service was good and food was excellent for a chain restaurant. I'm sure for a catered event it would go over very well, the view is tremendous.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Binghamton's Ferryboat in Edgewater is very nice, the upstairs bar has a fine view. Haven't been there for dinner in years.

On River Road in Weehawken, just north of the north entry road to NY Waterway is the former Lighthouse. I think it's called Casa del Faro now. Haven't been there in 2 years, but used to have good food and drop dead view.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Quote: from Rail Paul on 5:31 pm on Oct. 12, 2001

Binghamton's Ferryboat in Edgewater is very nice, the upstairs bar has a fine view. Haven't been there for dinner in years.

On River Road in Weehawken, just north of the north entry road to NY Waterway is the former Lighthouse. I think it's called Casa del Faro now. Haven't been there in 2 years, but used to have good food and drop dead view.

i've heard horrible things about the Binghamton.  although, i've never actually been there.

it took me a minute, but i finally realized what you mean when you say "the lighthouse".  that place has been there for quite some time, and i always wondered about it.  but, does it still have a view, considering all of the development in that area?  it's on "old river road" if i'm not mistaken, which tells me there's probably a Target, Old Navy, or 500 theatre mutli-plex btwn it and NYC at this point!

casa del faro...

It's directly below the Galaxy. the southern and southeastern views are fine and unobstructed. When Mr Imperatore builds his high rises, the view will be blocked, but it's fine now. If you're coming out of Arthur's, you make a sharp LEFT up the hill, and an equally sharp right into their driveway. Perhaps you're thinking of Rebecca's or the other place (notch inn?) on the bypassed section of river road by the railway tunnel?

binghamton's

bar is fine, with a great view. as I mentioned, it's been a while since I ate there,  so I didn't comment to that.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Quote: from tommy on 1:52 pm on Oct. 12, 2001

i ate at the chart house this summer.  perhaps it's hit and miss, but i thought the food was mediocre and the service amateurish.  but yes, that view...

They must have realized there was room for improvement, because Rachel and I were there under the auspices of "secret shoppers". We were evaluating the restaurant's service for an agency that does qualatative reporting for restaurant management. So I guess it improved since you last ate there.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

We ate at the Charthouse on Sept. 15th and the food was very good and so was the service.  We had a very friendly young man for our waiter and he was very helpful and attentive.

Life is too important to be taken seriously.[br]Oscar Wilde

our server was friendly as well.  i went as far as to invite her to an event i was having in hoboken.  she wasn't a bad server mind you, but it wasn't fine dining.  

the shrimp cocktail was mealy and very very fishy.  very off-putting.  the king crab legs were cold.  the grilled swordfish was, well, grilled swordfish.  it came with a rather nice corn salsa though.

maybe to put things in perspective, we were sitting out on the deck basically to enjoy some drinks and the view, and the ordering of food was a secondary thought.  but it was as i described.

an interesting (or not) situation arose on that beautiful day...a couple of jet skiers, or wet-bikers, or whatever they are, were showing off right by the deck, and decided to cruise by, turn sharp, and effectively get about 6 tables of people soaked.  the diners were none too impressed, nor was i.  not the restaurants fault of course.  i do believe the manager tried to make things right for the diners, but to what extent i don't know.  luckily, we weren't one of the wet ones!

thanks to everyone for the suggestions!

• 3 years later...

Has anyone been to Chart House recently? My husband and I are having dinner there tonight with his boss and his boss's wife. I would like to be able to have recommendations for them as we spend so much time catching up that we don't have time to look at the menus before the waiter starts nudging us to order.

- kim

If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. - Carl Sagan

The view was incredible. The food? Not sure. I think it was better than ok.

We had so much fun talking that I didn't notice my food. I do know that I had lobster. I just ate until it was gone. It was at that point that I remembered that I had posted here. But it was too late. :rolleyes:

- kim

If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. - Carl Sagan