• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

24th annv

thecips

Can't help but think o fthe New Brunswick standby's...not going to get anything too gourmet at LA FONTANA , and PANICO's , while a little more cutting edge, certainly wont' qualify as "gourmet" La Fontana can be very romantic..call them and tell them aobut your special ocassion.

Fascino in Montclair BYO

Elio's in Edison

Scalini Fedeli, Chatham

Girasole, Bound Brook BYO

Dining Room at Anthony David's, Hoboken BYO

Basilico, Millburn BYO

Cinque Figlie, Whippany

Il Tulipano,Cedar Grove

Benito, Union

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

La Fontana can be very romantic..call them and tell them aobut your special ocassion.

Just my two cents, but having been to La Fontana a few times for business lunches and dinners, I think it's much more about the ambience and 'fussiness' of service than it is about the food. I will say that the service has always been extremely attentive, though.

Kim, have you had great meals there? I've been wholly underwhelmed.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

You could try Piero's on Rt 36 in Union Beach. Nice spot with good Italian food. Very nice "feel" about the place, attentive white glove service.

Ambiance CAN be as important as the food!

Kim, have you had great meals there? I've been wholly underwhelmed.

Well, the poster seemed to want ambiance as a priority.

I notice a marked difference between lunches and business dinners, versus "dinner for two" for speicail occassions..the roses for the ladies, the grappa..they can really pull out the stops. I have had wonderful meals at La Fonatana, when I have stuck to the more classic Italian selections, ie francaise, scallopine, marsala.