• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smoked Garlic

Socrates

I usually hot smoke sinlge cloves over a wok using black tea as the smoking medium...

For heads I'd recommend removing all the extra papery stuff from around the head so as to give the smoke a much better go at penetrating the garlic as much as possible; you might even go so far as to just leave the individual cloves attached to the base but remove the central stalk and all the associated paper.

soaking the de-papered heads for a few minutes in cold water will also give you some protection against scorching.

Allan Brown

"If you're a chef on a salary, there's usually a very good reason. Never, ever, work out your hourly rate."

OH WOW! I have got to try this. My smoker is going right now and I actually found some good garlic last night. Would you lop the tops of off the heads like I do when oven roasting. Soaking in water sounds like a good idea.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

would I lop off the heads?

personally no... but that's because I wouldn't want too much of the garlicky goodness to seep out of the cloves as you smoke them...

I'd leave the skins on the cloves intact, but remove all the other paper.

If it's new season's fresh garlic, you might get away with smoking them untouched, but in my experience all that gives is non-smoked gsrlic inside smoky garlic skin.

what I tend to do is bash the heads into cloves, keeping the skins on, and then thread the individual cloves along a (soaked) bamboo skewer until you have a head's worth on a skewer, before smoking them in the normal way... much better smoke penetration.

Allan Brown

"If you're a chef on a salary, there's usually a very good reason. Never, ever, work out your hourly rate."

That makes sense. Ok... I have this cute little stainless steel mushroom shaped thingy just for bashing garlic cloves. A-bashing I will go. If I can't find my bamboo skewers can I just put them into a little pan?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

yes, but you'll be reducing the smoke exposure - it would be better to put them on a grille of some sort.

Allan Brown

Ah... I have just the thing. Thanks.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

i smoke garlic whenever i have the smoker going. i do garlic shish-ka-bob. i de-paper em, peel em then thread a skewer with them. i always do a couple of heads thinking i can use em for a week or so. i never have had any beyond breakfast the next morning!!!!!

lisa

"Animal crackers and cocoa to drink

That is the finest of suppers, I think

When I'm grown up and can have what I please,

I think I shall always insist upon these"

*Christopher Morley