• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Three paneer know-how questions

1. I like paneer but find it a bit bland. I know that's the way it's supposed to be, but what happens if you add salt and, say, minced herbs at the curds stage? There must be a name for that.

Ever try it?

2. Also, I note that some recipes call for paneer to be rolled in flour before browning. What difference does that make?

3. Also, I'm trying to re-create a paneer dish I had in a resto a few years ago. Wish I was paying more attention, but I'm sure people here can help.

It was paneer cubes sauteed in spices, nothing more. No tomatoes, no spinach, no peas, etc. It was almost like a snacky thing you might have with a beer. I've tried a few iterations and have had some tasty results, but I think I'd do better to start with the classics and work from there.

So: What are some of the classic seared paneer dishes?

Thanks for all your help, in advance. This paneer thingy is pretty cool.

Edited for typo.

Edited by sacre_bleu (log)

The flour coating would just give the paneer a nice golden crust when fried, if that's what you want. It's also another level of taste and texture complexity in that the crust will absorb the sauce and taste a little different from the paneer inside.

As for adding seasonings and flavorings, I don't know, it seems wrong to me, as wrong as pasta flavored at the doughmaking stage. I also don't like messing around with tofu and think it's best in as unadulterated a form as possible.

Maybe something could be worked out in terms of separate yet complementary tastes, like choosing one type of taste for the paneer, and another for the gravy around it, and only adding the paneer right before serving. But for that kind of taste experience, the whole overall seems like it would have to be mellow, because of how subtle paneer itself is.

thinking aloud,

Pat

"I... like... FOOD!" -Red Valkyrie, Gauntlet Legends-

:hmmm:

Flavored Paneer as it is called

Not many places make it.

Not many places know how to make Paneer either - I mean the Indian restaurants

Yes sacre_bleu, paneer can be fortified with seasonings and herbs. Chopped cilantro, roasted cumin, tender methi are some examples. Some may even use chopped green chillies. And for some, salt is a necessity, like me.

Haven't come across a recipe which calls for "roll in flour.....", though the idea seems stemming more from a regimented cuisine like French/Italian.

Personally I never understood the findamental reason for frying paneer (cut), before adding it to any sauce. Paneer in my opinion, is an already cooked product and should be handled with delicate hands, a rare thing to find in Indian kitchens.

Not sure if any seared Paneer dishes exist in the classical sense, though others would have an opinion, Paneer is not raw meat, that needs to be seared

BTW - feels good to be back - had quiet a time - getting access

Phew

Thanks

:smile:

Indiachef

Flavored paneer is wonderful. You can add all sorts of things as mentioned above. I add the seasonings to the milk right from the start so that when the milk curdles the seasonings are trapped in the cheese. You can roll this seasoned paneer into little balls and dress with olive oil as you would with fresh mozzarella. You can also shape it into little "tikkis" and pan fry them. Yamuna Devi's 2nd and 3rd books have many recipes with flavored paneer. Flavorings are added to paneer for sweets, so why not savory?

Edward Hamann

Cooking Teacher

Indian Cooking

edhamann@hotmail.com

Personally I never understood the findamental reason for frying paneer (cut), before adding it to any sauce. Paneer in my opinion, is an already cooked product and should be handled with delicate hands, a rare thing to find in Indian kitchens.

Not sure if any seared Paneer dishes exist in the classical sense, though others would have an opinion, Paneer is not raw meat, that needs to be seared

BTW - feels good to be back - had quiet a time - getting access

Phew

Thanks

:smile:

Indiachef

Frying may be too oily but the same result can be achieved by shallow frying or searing.

It is actually a good idea to sear paneer cubes on atleast 2 sides. It gives them a little hardiness and it becomes easy to handle it in the recipes like Palak paneer or Shahi paneer.

We usually sprinkle a little oil spray and sear 'em on a skillet. Sprinkle some salt and you can just eat those like snack.

Cheers,

It is actually a good idea to sear paneer cubes on atleast 2 sides. It gives them a little hardiness and it becomes easy to handle it in the recipes like Palak paneer or Shahi paneer.

Searing is a term used generally when cooking meats. Is there any juices to be retained in Paneer, that it needs to be seared.

Yes I do agree, its fried - either deep or shallow in a lot of places, but that's what intrigues me.

Why do we need to fry paneer?

Answers that come to mind could be;

To get rid of milky smell

Increase its shelf-life

Make it crusty

Make it more appealing

And also used as a snack item as deliad has mentioned. But this last one, I would only try it with a rich Malai Paneer

Indiachef

Searing is a term used generally when cooking meats. Is there any juices to be retained in Paneer, that it needs to be seared.

Searing does not aid in the retention of meat juices. Although there are still some TV chefs that perpetuate this myth, the notion has been thoroughly disproved a long time a go. Searing provides color and flavor (maillard reaction) only.

Depending on how the paneer is made, most versions will crumble unless fried first. For the majority of paneer dishes, I prefer paneer fried.

Searing does not aid in the retention of meat juices. Although there are still some TV chefs that perpetuate this myth, the notion has been thoroughly disproved a long time a go. Searing provides color and flavor (maillard reaction) only.

Depending on how the paneer is made, most versions will crumble unless fried first. For the majority of paneer dishes, I prefer paneer fried.

I fully agree with Scott123 and it's about time that this age old myth was given a graceful exit.

High( 5-10%) fat fresh Paneer doesnt take frying very well.

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com

thanks

That was very educative

I think I now know how to cook a Steak!!!

Depending on how the paneer is made, most versions will crumble unless fried first. For the majority of paneer dishes, I prefer paneer fried

Is Paneer made different ways.

Not sure if there are different styles of making Paneer

But then you never know, with an increasing awareness of Indian cuisine globally, there could be some interpretations.

And for the majority of paneer dishes, I would not fry the Paneer.

If its to be accepted as a soft block cheese product sans the fanfare, it should be left at that.

However, Indian restaurants have been visibly responsible for half educatiing the minds about Indian foods.

Which is why I never understood either, why is it also referred to as Cottage Cheese?

I fully agree with Scott123 and it's about time that this age old myth was given a graceful exit

Sure. Why not.

Am still wondering what flavoring we enhance in SEARING Paneer, apart from making it more rubbery and hard

Coloring, Yes I agree, as a matter of Opinion

Paneer tikka? What's that?

Yet another attempt to vegeterianise Tandoori foods. Although the best Paneer Tikka is barely passable, it amazes me, why this concoction is a favorite when planning Indian menus.

And of course I could never omit this from the menus I designed, lest I don't get paid for not listening to my Boss

Indiachef