• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

THE BEST: Knife Sharpening in Manhatan

I used to live close to a restaurant supply that sharpened knives for 2 bucks each. I doubt I'll be able to find anything that cheap in NYC, but I'd like to find something. I live in Upper East/Midtown East, and being close is always nicer, but I usually only sharpen about 4 times a year professionally, so I don't mind a little trek.

Do any of the restaurant supply stores on the Bowery sharpen knives? I'm not sure, but if you're near the 6 train, it'd be a hop, skip, and jump to get to one of those places. Hopefully someone will answer my question...

Is there a Gourmet Garage near you? The one near me has someone come in to sharpen the knives for their butchers once a week, and if I drop mine off the night before, he'll sharpen them for $2.50 apiece. They don't advertise this service, but it might be worth asking the manager of whatever branch is near you.

Chelsea market has a little stand by the moroccan store, I think the sign said only on wednesday but I don't remember the hours.

The human mouth is called a pie hole. The human being is called a couch potato... They drive the food, they wear the food... That keeps the food hot, that keeps the food cold. That is the altar where they worship the food, that's what they eat when they've eaten too much food, that gets rid of the guilt triggered by eating more food. Food, food, food... Over the Hedge

We have not heard from experts like Chad yet, but I would look at the type of sharpening done very carefully. The grindstone should turn slowly, be large, and cooled by water or oil. Many restaurants will ignore these precautions because they use low end pro knives that can be replaced when they can't be sharpened.

If you have really good blades, you won't want them to be gouged, at tremendous pressure and heat, just for expedience.

I've heard that Henry Westpfal is supposed to be expensive but extremely reliable.

107 W. 30th (6th Ave)

212/563-5990

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Didn't there use to be a knife sharpening truck that drove up and down the Upper West Side with sort of pot-clanging music advertising it as it went? Like, recently, as in within the last year or two if not currently?

Michael aka "Pan"

Didn't there use to be a knife sharpening truck that drove up and down the Upper West Side with sort of pot-clanging music advertising it as it went? Like, recently, as in within the last year or two if not currently?

That guy parks under my windows about once a week. If I hear him in the next couple of days I'll try to get his information. But I have no idea what type of job he does.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

That guy parks under my windows about once a week. If I hear him in the next couple of days I'll try to get his information. But I have no idea what type of job he does.

I don't know anything about the quality of his work, either.

Michael aka "Pan"

Chelsea market has a little stand by the moroccan store, I think the sign said only on wednesday but I don't remember the hours.

Actually, the woman who sharpens knives in Chelsea Market is there on Saturdays. She has a stand in front of Bowery Kitchen Supplies.

I've heard that Henry Westpfal is supposed to be expensive but extremely reliable.

107 W. 30th (6th Ave)

212/563-5990

I had my knives done there once; I think it cost about $30 for five. Which is partly why I decided to invest in an Edgepro system. As I recall they did a decent job. I don't think I'd trust one of those roaming trucks, but that's not from personal experience.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

I am taking my knives in there this week to be sharpened. I have not used Henry Westpfal before, I will report back on the results.

BTW, Westpfal uses the cold water bath method.

• 3 months later...

Although I've never used them, I've heard good things about Henry Westpfal -- 107 W. 30th, 212/563-5990.

Is there a Gourmet Garage near you? The one near me has someone come in to sharpen the knives for their butchers once a week, and if I drop mine off the night before, he'll sharpen them for $2.50 apiece. They don't advertise this service, but it might be worth asking the manager of whatever branch is near you.

I should think, following this line, that if you're anywhere near Eli's or the Vinegar Factory or the Citerella on the UES, that they could also help you out if you asked them. I'm lucky on the UWS cuz there's a nifty truck that comes around once a month on Saturdays and is usually on my corner. :biggrin:

Edited by ewindels (log)

Food, glorious food!

“Eat! Eat! May you be destroyed if you don’t eat! What sin have I committed that God should punish me with you! Eat! What will become of you if you don’t eat! Imp of darkness, may you sink 10 fathoms into the earth if you don’t eat! Eat!” (A. Kazin)

I believe they sharpen knives at Korin as well. A bit pricey, like $10 a knife, and you do have to set an appointment with Mr. Sugai. I take my knives there once a month, although mine are mostly Japanese western-style knives.

#1456/5000

I should think, following this line, that if you're anywhere near Eli's or the Vinegar Factory or the Citerella on the UES, that they could also help you out if you asked them.  I'm lucky on the UWS cuz there's a nifty truck that comes around once a month on Saturdays and is usually on my corner.  :biggrin:

I called Citarella -- they have a service do their knives.

It's kind of shocking that it's so hard to find a knive sharpener in Manhattan. Of course, I had the same problem when I needed to have my hat blocked and my riding crop re-leathered.

I had the same problem when I needed to have my hat blocked....

Actually, can I tell you where to go for this as well. :laugh:

As with all the things in life, it's just a matter of knowing the right people to ask for advice.

I took my knives to Henry Westpfal for the first time last month and I was very satisfied with the results. There is the extra bonus that they are located right near Korea town, where I went for lunch after picking up my knives. Henry Westpfal uses a wet wheel method in which the blade is pressed against a spinning wheel frequently lubricated with water. I brought in 4 Wusthof knives (I like the heft of Wustof). The prices were:

Pairing knife $3.95

8 inch chef's Knife $5.25

10 inch chef's knife $8.00

Santoku knife $5.25

I do not know if that is considered pricey, but my knives are precious to me, so spending $23.45 to have them properly handled was worth it in my opinion. They insist that you inspect all of your knives before leaving and if you find any imperfections, they will fix it on the spot. It is so incredibly pleasurable doing food preperation with an extremely sharp knife, it makes all the difference in the world.

When I was a kid I used to be transfixed watching sushi chefs sharpen thier own knives on a stone. It is a goal of mine to learn how to do that. Until then, I will continue to take my knives to Henry Westpfal.

107 West 30th St. (off of 6th Ave.)

212-563-5990

Closed weekends

I have a small set of wusthof classic knives

Got them for last christmas and they've never been pro sharpened

I feel it is time

What edge do I request for them?

�As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy, and to make plans.� - Ernest Hemingway, in �A Moveable Feast�

Brooklyn, NY, USA