• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bag in box

mauss

Some Bordeaux Producers, including classified growths, want to market their wine in the "bag in a box" system : you know, like the milk we get in supermarket.

Obvisously, this will be for wines to be drunk in a 36 months period.

Some tastings show that it is no difference with the standard glass-bottle-cork.

Will you be a buyer ?

What are your arguments for or against ?

If a château came out with a limited serie designed by Vuitton or Hermes : what will be your reaction ?

Good day to all,

After accepting screw-tops and silicon corks and knowing "en vrac", I honestly wouldn't mind about to have my daily wine from a bag in a box provided the wine is of satisfying quality. But I must say I've never had good wine from a cubitainer or similar.

Vuitton or Hermes would be a turn off for me. I'd prefer a well designed artist "label" if necessary.

Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler.

In the fantasy world I sometimes inhabit, the grocery stores sell large boxes of hearty vin du pays for about three bucks a liter, and every glass tastes like something you'd find at a small cafe in Provence, perfect for quaffing on the front porch or with a little grilled chicken and frites for dinner.

In real life, however, every time I've tried box wine, it's been pretty much undrinkable.

Still looking, and I suspect a Louis Vuitton box would catch my eye. I seem to recall, though, that their parent company LVMH (?) aims for a little more upscale market than box wines. Their last, failed, vineyard acquisition attempt was d'Yquem.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

When you say "bag in box", are you referring to the silvery plastic bag-lined cardboard cubes of cheap, sweetish wine with flavoring added that are currently available in the US, or to the aseptic packs which contain fruit drinks here, but can also contain wine in Europe? Or are you really referring to true milk cartons, which are neither?

I've heard that some manufacturers package quality wines in "bag in box" packaging, but they're not available in my area, and I hate having to cut open the box to get the bag out and rescue the last few glasses, even if the wine were drinkable, so I wouldn't buy that.

When I was in Spain, I bought cheap aseptic pack wine to go with my dorm meals. I liked the .65 euro/liter brand better than the 1 euro type, but they were just generic table wine.

The focus of the wine industry in the US is to try to convert wine drinkers into wine snobs, so they'll pay much more for an attractive product with buzz. Simultaneously, the industry is trying to convince non-winedrinkers to buy ever cheaper, more diluted and adulterated product called "wine" so they'll feel sophisticated. Neither of these fits with the image of boxed wine.

As far as I know, it will be the full-food-liquid-proof safe box with a special opening system which avoid air to enter the box; so you can keep this box in the fridg or elsewhere without the wine to loose its qualities.

It will be a liter size or 2 liters.

I will come withmore information on the board when I will get some.

Thanks,

Yes please. I'm all for packaging some good quaffers in a bag-in-a-box. I'd like to see the method utilized with young-drinking wines such as beaujolais, rose, and sauv. blanc. My boyfriend works nights and I like to have a snort or two in the evening and often waste the remainder of some decent bottles. Bagged wines are a great way to prevent oxidation once the seals broken.

As far as I know, it will be the full-food-liquid-proof safe box with a special opening system which avoid air to enter the box; so you can keep this box in the fridg or elsewhere without the wine to loose its qualities.

It will be a liter size or 2 liters.

I will come withmore information on the board when I will get some.

Thanks,

Martine Saunier of Martine's Wines in Calif. imported a bag in a box wine from a producer in Chablis last year. My memory was that it was about $10/bottle ( in a 2 liter box). It had a tap and spigot type spout and my memory is it was a very drinkable wine. I will try to look up my notes on producer etc this evening. The box fit in the fridge and was easy to use.

There is another thread on this issue that I can't seem to find. My recollection from that thread is that the quality of the wine in a bag/box seems to be improving. There are some half-way decent ones being imported from New Zealand.

I'd buy it , if it were a decent table wine. I'm currently looking at a week-long (car) camping trip with my two siblings and our Significant Others, and a few boxes of wine would be the perfect solution to what to drink at a picnic table.