• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eating Sample Goodies At the Grocery

....as in taking a toothpick and diving into the cut up pineapple or cheese or salami or whathaveyou they have out for sampling? This idea just never really appealed to me. Especially since today I witnessed a guy take a piece of tooth-picked cheese at the deli counter, eat the cheese, and then toss his USED pick back into the plate with the untouched fresh toothpicks. :blink: I told them, of course, that they'd better provide a clearly marked receptacle for used picks. If the samples are monitored by someone standing there with a tray or something, then I will sometimes try something being offered. But the thought of how dirty other people can be with food really puts me right off trying unsupervised food. I was very glad I caught that pick-perp today so they could clean up after him. :raz:

I will at Costco-where it's well regulated. Yesterday we ran in to fill some scripts, and it was too early for the food people to be set up. I was bummed.

And the weirdest thing, there was a line to get out! First time that's happened, even at Christmas. It was fun though, because a bunch of people in line had seen the Eagles the night before, so we all yacked about that while we waited.

during my stint at whole foods, i saw things that customers did with the samples that would curl your hair (or staighten it if its already curly)! unless i happened to be standing right there the second a store employee put the samples out, you couldnt pay me to eat from the samples!!

lordy, i am sitting here shuddering from the memories!

lisa

"Animal crackers and cocoa to drink

That is the finest of suppers, I think

When I'm grown up and can have what I please,

I think I shall always insist upon these"

*Christopher Morley

I have been sampling whatever is offered for many years - more than I care to recall - and have had no ill effects ever. I have, however, found some items that I decided to buy based upon having tasted the sample. I have also decided against some fresh fruits for the same reason.

I have been sampling whatever is offered for many years - more than I care to recall - and have had no ill effects ever. I have, however, found some items that I decided to buy based upon having tasted the sample. I have also decided against some fresh fruits for the same reason.

Milt, you got my impressions straight out of my head and quite accurately!

Best place to taste test here in Atlanta was the old Harry's Market in Gwinnett ... I was sorry to watch its demise ... and now never drive out that far... :sad:

now I am reduced to Costco .. but I do watch to see how recently the samples have appeared ... :rolleyes:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

They are always being made up and dispensed nearly that quick at Costco. The men and women doing it are keen on handing you up whatever their food is as soon as you approach. I have no more objection to Costco than getting food concession foods at fairs or races, etc. Maybe less. At least Costco does not have some of the clueless teens I've seen many times.

Something I have seen in Canada, and never in the U.S., is that liquor stores (if I remember correctly it was the LCBO in Kingston) will serve out samples of wine.

I am already in love with the LCBO (greatest liquor store ever IMO, so clean, so classy, great prices, great selection) but when they actually served free wine inside I was bowled over. I ended up buying several bottles because I was quite impressed as well.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Something I have seen in Canada, and never in the U.S., is that liquor stores (if I remember correctly it was the LCBO in Kingston) will serve out samples of wine. 

This is always such an excellent selling idea! Just wonder why so few retailers use it to their advantage?? :rolleyes: perhaps some "legal" concern with wine being offered so freely??

Nothing like having the taste of something in your mouth to spur interest in the item!! :biggrin:

and btw and fyi, at whole foods (and most other customer friendly stores) you can just about test taste anything in the store, so if youve been interested in some new fruit hybrid or cheese or whatever, ask for a taste. youll be surprised at how many times you will get to taste it!

lisa

*Christopher Morley

I feequently eat unsupervised food samples, and to my knowledge, I've never gotten ill. I figure that what an immune system is *for*, and if it gets tweaked on a regular basis, it will remain functional. :smile:

On the other hand, I prefer to keep my veil of ignorance about what other people have seen happen to said food..................... :hmmm:

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

There are several liquor stores in Montana where you can try a shot of all these new-fangled liqeurs that keep popping up. There's like a mini bar setup in the store.

Thanks for this clue, Mabelline! Now, yet another reason to add Montana to my "wish to see" list for a vacation!! :biggrin:

I prefer to keep my veil of ignorance about what other people have seen happen to said food.....................

k. then i wont tell any of my horror stories!

:biggrin:

lisa

*Christopher Morley

I do sample things at Costco and at Trader Joe's because they maintain careful control over the samples.

I never sample things from unattended trays at regular markets. Some people are so unthinking or even simply gross, that you never know if the food has been touched or whatever.

Even the packages are not always sacrosanct. I only buy packaged things at Costco if the seals are intact. A couple of weeks ago I saw two young women cutting the tape on boxes of strawberries and eating one or two out of every box they opened. They never bought any so I found one of the employees and reported it so they could remove the opened boxes from the display.

The guy said they kept a watch for several people who apparently came into the store just to "graze" and left, only buying something inexpensive, if they bothered to buy anything at all. I described the women and he said they were on their "lookout" list.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I guess we can assume the wine is being served in clean little cups, with no chance of any "double dipping." :wink: Back to my topic of food samples... I think one of the other problems I have is that often at the A&P here, the offerings aren't covered up by a plastic globe-like-sneeze-guard-type- thingies. And I have seen people dive in with their bare hands. No doubt having just sneezed in them. :blink: And back to the toothpicks, I won't try anything that has a toothpick already in it. I have seen people at parties eat the food from the pick, and reinsert it into a fresh shrimp or whathaveyou...getting it ready for the next person!? Ooook!!! :laugh:

A couple of weeks ago I saw two young women cutting the tape on boxes of strawberries and eating one or two out of every box they opened.

Let's hope they get a good case of clostridium perfringens.

Edited by Pickles (log)

I do sample things at Costco and at Trader Joe's because they maintain careful control over the samples. 

I never sample things from unattended trays at regular markets.  Some people are so unthinking or even simply gross, that you never know if the food has been touched or whatever.

Even the packages are not always sacrosanct.  I only buy packaged things at Costco if the seals are intact.  A couple of weeks ago I saw two young women cutting the tape on boxes of strawberries and eating one or two out of every box they opened.  They never bought any so I found one of the employees and reported it so they could remove the opened boxes from the display. 

The guy said they kept a watch for several people who apparently came into the store just to "graze" and left, only buying something inexpensive, if they bothered to buy anything at all.  I described the women and he said they were on their "lookout" list.

Does their "lookout list" also contain a way of making their displeasure apparent to these "serial offenders"?? (in a grocery they might be considered "cereal offenders" if they sample these particular products :laugh: ) .. sorry ...

Now I will actually inspect the plastic packages for signs of labels being ripped open .. never really gave it much thought ... "a grocer's lot is not a happy one" tune running in the background as I write this! :hmmm:

This is my first post. I would try to sneak in unnoticed, but from other posts I've seen it appears that people usually identify themselves as newbies - so that's me, the new guy. no hazing please

At any rate, this is a topic close to my heart, as during one of the high points of my life I was one of the aforementioned food servers at a Costco. My favorite part would be watching adults elbow kids out of the way to get the "more desirable" samples before they ran out. One time a woman in one of the store-provided motorized scooters was reaching too far and somehow tripped the throttle, causing her to ram her scooter into my table, upsetting everything and scaring small children. Unfortunately, my tenure lasted a mere two weeks before I took another job. Actually it was kind of cool because I found out about all the food they sell at Costco that I wouldn't have otherwise known about. I haven't taken advantage of it, but at least I know where to get 5 lbs of prosciutto at a bulk price if I need it, or a 20 lb box of sausage.

Also - there were quite a few people who showed up everyday around lunch to eat all the samples. I'm not sure how that fits in the general topic, but I always thought it was interesting.

This is my first post.  I would try to sneak in unnoticed, but from other posts I've seen it appears that people usually identify themselves as newbies - so that's me, the new guy.  no hazing please

We don't "haze" anyone here .. we welcome their wit and wisdom and hope that they will post when free time presents itself ... honest!!

Loved your Costco tale about the motorized scooter!! :laugh:

Also - there were quite a few people who showed up everyday around lunch to eat all the samples.  I'm not sure how that fits in the general topic, but I always thought it was interesting.

Why am I not surprised by this??? :rolleyes:

This thread caused me to remember years ago when I attended the Maifest in Hermann, Missouri. A vintner there provided a tour of their facilities followed by a tasting of several of their wines. It caused me to buy several and not buy several others. Since moving to Georgia, we have stopped at that same winery's retail store for a case of wines that we can't get in Georgia.

costco is always a good place to go if your hungry.

haven't been there for awhile membership ran out in feb

well that trip (let's go see what's new) cost me $180.00, had to renew.

had to have those salt water toffee, marinated articoke hearts, this nice track suit,

couple pairs of shorts, bag of apples and oranges

But it was the track suit that suckered me in.

should have kept on driving --oh well

Also - there were quite a few people who showed up everyday around lunch to eat all the samples.

This would be my freshman year college roommate, who all but made lunch reservations at the local Whole Foods every Saturday. She even brought home leftovers and would occasionally offer me odd bits of things wrapped in napkins. Such is the life of starving college students, I guess.

My favorite samples are at Williams & Sonoma, especially when they have baked goods fresh out of the oven. And I always keep a sharp eye out to see when the samples come out at Godiva (that one requires a fair bit of skulking around, as it's not guaranteed and the stores are usually so small that it's awkward to wander around innocently waiting for them to offer you a piece of chocolate).

. And I always keep a sharp eye out to see when the samples come out at Godiva (that one requires a fair bit of skulking around, as it's not guaranteed and the stores are usually so small that it's awkward to wander around innocently waiting for them to offer you a piece of chocolate).

SCENE: Godiva kiosk in the mall

TIME: Last November just after Hallowe'en

(woman stands at counter pining through the glass while pimple-faced teen-ager tends another customer)

clerk: can i help you maam?

me: (yes, please dont call me maam!!!) no thank you. i am just doing a little pre-shopping. having a really big holiday party and i was thinking i might get some of your chocolate rather than make my truffles.... just adding up the costs in my head.....

clerk: well let me know if i can help

me: i will. man, have you had those pumpkin truffles? they look amazing!

clerk: i have and they are good.

me: wish i could afford to have those at my party

clerk: they are definiely worth the price!

me: i am sure they are, but i think my husband (i am sooooo not married) would kill me if i spent that kind of money on truffles for 100 people....

clerk: well, maam, maybe if he tasted one, he would be more inclined....

me: he isnt at the mall with me today

clerk: well, dont tell anyone i did this, but here... take these two so you can both sample them. and my name is XXXXX and we do work on commission

me: well thank you so much XXXXX, i will be sure to ask for you if we decide to go this route.

woman leaves kiosk and eats both pumpkin truffles! (which would have cost her $5 if she'd been paying)

:biggrin:

lisa

*Christopher Morley