• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chicken Wings--

chezcherie

help me...i'm senile. (in truth, i think it's my three teenagers that are sucking the braincells out along with any cash i might have at any particular moment.)

i don't really "do" chicken wings, because...well...there are so many parts on a chicken i like better. but somewhere in the course of the past week or so, i saw a wing treatment that inspired me to make a mental note to get a passle (gaggle? i guess maybe flock?) of wings to try out over the holiday weekend.

if only i had attached the mental footnote containing the location of the recipe...or what it consisted of...or what style of cooking it was.

nope.

i'm a blank slate.

but i have wings--a big costco pack of 'em. and teenaged boys and their many friends who will eat them, but probably not in their present state. (although if i starved them for, oh, say an hour, and left the wings in plain sight, who knows?)

i thought, as so many good things culinary these days, that i had seen it on egullet, but a search ("wings", "chicken wings", recipegullet,etc.) has not proved fruitful.

maybe it was hoisin-y...i just don't know....can't find it here, have looked in various recent publications that are at the top of the bedside heap, but can't find now what i found before... so, what to do wit' da wings?

what's your fav way to wing it?

take pity on a poor, wing-laden egulleteer, with only enough short-term memory remaining to find her keys (sometimes), but not enough to find her "to try" recipe stack. tell me what to do with these wings. today would be good, but we do have the whole holiday weekend.

thanks!

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

Honey Hoisin Chicken Wings

The intriguing combination of ingredients in this marinade creates extraordinarily tender and tasty wings. Hoisin sauce, honey, and orange juice give the wings a deliciously dark, caramelized character, while the wine vinegar and soy and chili sauces balance the sweetness. Strong-flavored Chinese black soy sauce (sometimes called double black soy sauce) is a pivotal ingredient. It's used to add deep color and textural substance to dishes in which it's important that a sauce adhere well to slippery ingredients such as noodles or chicken.

This is my all time favorite recipe for what you have just mentioned! :biggrin:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Take yourself, or send one of the kids, to the grocery store and buy a bottle of Frank's Hot Sauce. Follow the directions on the back of the bottle, adding some more cayenne if ya'll like them hot. They are easy, delish, and the boys will love them and you.

Stop Family Violence

A wing has three parts, seperate into the three parts and use the tips for stock. Just put the wings into a hot oven on an oiled pan spread out. Roast at high heat until done/crisp. This avoids the fat of deep frying since today's chicken is quite a fatty little bird and doesn't need anything else to make it crisp. Roll in a sauce made with McIlhenny's and little butter, make a dip with Maytag Blue and sour cream. Have crisp celery spears on hand, a few beers and your in business. Avoid the coomerical sauces even the Original Anchor as you can make a better sauce at home with McIlhenny's.-Dick

I have to disagree about baking, deep frying is the only way to get authentic buffalo wings.

I don't personally usually use Franks, as it is way too mild for a serious wing, but if you use franks, butter, a dash of vinegar, a couple tablespoons of habanero sauce, loads of black pepper, then you are in business.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

I like to make wings because they are quick and easy to prepare. Here are a couple of recipes I made up (the amounts are approximates, I usually just guess):

Lemon and Chive Wings

1/4 c chopped fresh chives

zest of lemon

juice of 4 lemons

1/2 c water

olive oil

1.5kg chicken wings

In a frying pan I add olive oil and brown the chicken wings. Then I reduce the heat and add the lemon juice and 1/2 water and cover. Let cook for 30 minutes and add the chives and lemon zest, stir and cook for another 20 minutes until the sauce has thickened. It is very lemony.

Hoisin, Pomegranate, Lemon and Honey Wings

4 tbsp. pomegranate syrup

2 tbsp. hoisin sauce

juice of 1/2 lemon

2tbsp honey

1/4 tsp. sesame oil

Mix together and rub in chicken wings. Place wings on a baking pan and cover with foil. Bake for 30 minutes, uncover and bake for another 20 -30 minutes until done.

yum! did a variation on the frank's hot wings suggestions above (frank's "new" lime and chile sauce, butter, vinegar and some hot-hot sauce--deep fried, because, well, the deep fryer was right there). pretty good...

have some of the hoisin-y ones marinating now. those will go nicely with the apps i've got planned for an evening with friends.

jeez--we may need more wings, because this pomegranate-hoisin one is singing my song, too! mmmmmm.

thanks--keep 'em coming!

edited to correct dangling parentheses.

Edited by chezcherie (log)

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

I don't like deep frying so this is my way of making wings.

Separate wing into 3 parts (save tips for stock) then wash and brine the wings

for 30 minutes.

After brining rinse and pat wings dry, lay them out on a rack over a cookie

sheet and allow to air dry in the fridge overnight.

Coat wings with sauce of choice (mine is Frank's and some cayenne or a chopped

scotch bonnet and some melted butter) then bake at 450-475 until skin is nice and crispy (30-40min. depending on size).

What I'm looking for in a wing is a crispy skin with the sauce glazed on with

the flesh cooked but still moist. Do not like wings swimming in sauce.This method

works for me.

I'll certainly try some of the other suggested coatings.

I know it's stew. What KIND of stew?

Deep fried wings have 22 grams of fat per wing.

Adds to the appeal, IMHO.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: I quite agree.

Wayne, do you pierce the wings before brining? I'm going to have to try that, since I'm also not a fryer (well, after all, I'm no spring chicken).

Oddly enough, whenever I open the cupboard these days and see that new bottle of Frank's with Lime, I get this strange craving . . . :hmmm:

Wayne, do you pierce the wings before brining?  I'm going to have to try that, since I'm also not a fryer (well, after all, I'm no spring chicken).

Oddly enough, whenever I open the cupboard these days and see that new bottle of Frank's with Lime, I get this strange craving . . .  :hmmm:

I do not pierce the wings but do find air drying necessary to get good crispy

skin.

Frank's lime and cilantro sauce works very well.

I know it's stew. What KIND of stew?

I do occasionally indulge in the deep fried variety, but my favorite way of doing them now is on the grill. I brine them for about an hour, and then throw them in a big ziploc with a spice rub. Let it marinate for a few hours or overnight. I still serve them with some bleu cheese dressing.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

I toss whole wingys in olive oil, then generously sprinkle with Goya Adobo seasoning (con Pimienta)

and bake at 400F (on a grate) till brown and crispy...

Well done, about 45 minutes...

The wingtips facing up so they get dark and crispy!

They're a highlight of this recipe.

I serve them in a pile and squeeze lemon juice before bringing to the table...

Pitcher of Sangria

It's a scene man!

BTW, this is also a great way to fix up a big crispy pile of those thin "Pork Riblet Strips", sometimes called "Chinese Riblets"...

:biggrin:

Edited by Mild Bill (log)

I have to disagree about baking, deep frying is the only way to get authentic buffalo wings.

I don't personally usually use Franks, as it is way too mild for a serious wing, but if you use franks, butter, a dash of vinegar, a couple tablespoons of habanero sauce, loads of black pepper, then you are in business.

I do pretty much the exact same thing but make sure to add a ton of cayenne pepper too

My measurements may be out as I tend to do the slurp, dash and toss thing! But:

Chinese Style wings:

You will need: Honey, Soy sauce, Sesame oil, Sesame seeds (some toasted is nice), ginger, garlic, chinese five spice (if desired), garlic, and peanut oil or Olive Oil.

Lay the wings into a marinade dish (and large dish will do) Use about 3 tablespoons honey and drizzle over all the wings. Sprinkle with soy sauce, and some of the peanut oil to coat lightly. Start to toss, and see how they are being coated. I then add 2-3 cloves finely chopped garlic, 1/2 teaspoon ginger, good sprinkle fo sesame oil. Toss the wings and thoroughly coat them. Add extra soy if required. (Or to be safe, mix all these ingredients except the peanut oil into a bowl and mix well to get the true flavor) lastly sprinkle with raw sesame seeds. Stir the chicken pieces around. Marinade for at least 2 hours but the longer the better.

Put the wings into a baking dish with some extra peanut oil drizzled over and bake the wings at 350 till cooked (they will darken and test with a fork) when ready, serve on plate and sprinkle some toasted sesame seeds over the top.

To toast the sesame seeds: Either lay the seed out on an oven tray and pop into oven on medium heat for few minutes or on a paper towel in the microwave about 1 minute - unitl golden brown.

The addition of Chilli to the mix for those wanting some extra heat is nice.

Soy Plum Wings

Half a jar of dark plum jam/jelly, soy sauce, 2-3 cloves garlic, sesame oil, ginger (1/2 teaspoon) peanut oil. Heat the plum jam/jelly slowly in a sauce pan, add soy (about 2 tablespoons, add the garlic and ginger and heat till the jelly has melted. Allow to cool. ** Add more soy if required to taste**

Sprinkle chicken lightly with sesame oil, and peanut oil. Pour the sauce over the wings and bake at 300-350 degrees till the wings are ready.

(Use this same recipe on pork ribs)

Edited by Aussie_Gusto (log)