• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Homemade Mayonnaise: Technique, Troubleshooting, Storage

Enzian

Anyone else find mayo made with only olive oil to be really bitter?

Don't really find it bitter - but there is something very unappealing about it.

When I make my mayo like caesar salad dressing - I use a couple of cups of sunflower oil and add about 1/2 a cup of olive oil to get a nice flavour.

Anyone else find mayo made with only olive oil to be really bitter?

I never use EVOO - I use the more refined regular olive oil that I buy at my local middle eastern market in a big tin. It has a blander flavor than EVOO.

I also sometimes use grapeseed oil and I also buy that at the middle eastern market because it is available in larger containers and is much cheaper than at the regular markets.

This oil also has a neutral flavor and makes an excellent mayonnaise.

I am sticking to my original advice to have everything chilled - it doesn't have to be super cold but I have much better results (especially in the summer) with this method, which I have been using all my life.

If you want to have the ingredients at room temp (as long as it isn't too warm) by all means use that method if it works well for you.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Mrs P and I both prefer corn oil. We have never chilled the ingredients first. I can make it by hand but much prefer using the whip attachment on my Kitchenaid mixer. Egg yoke, white vinegar, regular yellow mustard, salt and corn oil. It's worked for us for over 30 years.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Personally, I despise the taste of corn oil in something that isn't especially strongly flavoured.

I love making it with a stick blender - it literally takes less than a minute to clean afterwards, if some soapy water is available.

Edited by HowardLi (log)

This is why I like sunflower oil and whole eggs. It makes a very mild mayonnaise that does not mask the flavour of whatever you are using it with and is great as a base for all sorts of sauces. I use it to thin out pesto, add herbs and spice flavourings, there are no end of things you can do with it. I make a large batch and it lasts for 2 or 3 weeks. I don't like corn oil flavour either and, much as I love eggs, I don't like egg yolk mayonnaise because you can taste the yolks. :sad:

Pam Brunning Editor Food & Wine, the Journal of the European & African Region of the International Wine & Food Society

My link

• 1 year later...

So what mayo recipes do we all use?

The one in Bittman's "How to Cook Everything". I think (and I'm winging it from memory), it's 1 egg, 2T lemon juice, some dry mustard and cayenne, S&P, and a cup of oil. I use 50/50 canola/light EVOO, and I toss in 1-2 cloves of garlic, depending upon how big they are. I find straight EVOO too heavy, and straight canola too meh. I put the egg, juice, spices and garlic in the bowl of a KA mini-processor, then drizzle in the oil while the processor's running. I usually end up adding the rest of the juice from the lemon (probably about another tablespoon-ful) after the emulsion's formed. I found that if I add the whole amount of juice up front, at least for me, the emulsion won't form. I also can't get it to work in my full-size Cuisinart processor. The mini works much better.

It is absolutely sublime on fresh artichokes.......and on my fingers when I dip them in the bowl..... :wink:

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

And lookie, an article on the NY Times website today by Melissa Clark about....wait for it....homemade mayo ! I especially like some of the variations she offers (bacon mayo anyone?).

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/23/dining/easy-homemade-mayonnaise.html?hpw

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Has anyone tried making milk mayonaise? It seems like an interesting variation.

I've made it and didn't like it at all. Without flavor additions, it just tasted like whipped oil. Adding other ingredients--I tried both a curry and fresh herbs--made it more palatable but not like something I actually wanted to eat.

I had high hopes because in general I like David Leite's recipes. But if I'm going to splurge on calories, this is not how I'd do it.

• 9 months later...

Has anyone tried making milk mayonaise? It seems like an interesting variation.

I regularly make this mayo as it is safer for kids lunchboxes than egg mayo. It is made with a stick blender.

Add to the blender container (the tall one that came with the stick blender):

80ml milk

1 tsp Dijon

1/4 tsp salt

1/8 tsp sugar

1 tsp lemon/lime juice

(I usually omit the small clove garlic but if I add it I pre-cook it in the microwave first to get rid of the raw taste)

Blend until very smooth on low speed.

Stop the blender. Add your 180 mls of oil. I usually add 120 ml of light olive oil and 60 ml of regular.

The oil will float on top of the milk mixture. With the stick blender standing on the bottom of the container, start blending on low speed. After about 15-20 seconds, slowly raise the blender towards the surface. The oil will be incorporated. If necessary dunk the stick blender a couple of times. You should now have smooth creamy mayo. :smile:

The strength of flavour is entirely up to the maker. You can add herbs, EVOO, whatever.

I regularly make this mayo as it is safer for kids lunchboxes than egg mayo. It is made with a stick blender.

. . . .

Just curious; are pasteurized eggs (yolks, whites, whole) just a Danish thing?

I've never thought to actively look for these when I've been in shops in various countries, but in Denmark, pretty much any time raw eggs are required, most people reach for pasteurized, which are found in every supermarket.

By the way, I'm trying to figure out how to make a tiny, one or two serving batch of mayonnaise. Anyone pull this off?

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

By the way, I'm trying to figure out how to make a tiny, one or two serving batch of mayonnaise. Anyone pull this off?

270 mls is as low as I have tried. Whatever isn't used goes into the refrigerator and is good for at least 5 days (but it is usually consumed before then).

BTW, I have never seen pasteurized eggs in a supermarket in Australia, (if you mean not powdered, not frozen).

Edited by Ozcook (log)

. . . .

Just curious; are pasteurized eggs (yolks, whites, whole) just a Danish thing?

I've never thought to actively look for these when I've been in shops in various countries, but in Denmark, pretty much any time raw eggs are required, most people reach for pasteurized, which are found in every supermarket.

I can easily find pasteurized eggs in northern Minnesota, so I'm guessing they're pretty common elsewhere in the USA. I generally use them for making sauces such as mayonnaise, as well as ice cream.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 1 year later...

Never EVOO and it never lasts a week.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!