• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fumio--Livingston

Rosie

Fumio, 21 E Northfield Ave, Livingston has reopened with new owners. We started off with a complimentary iceberg lettuce salad with a ginger dressing. Appetizers were a seafood soup swimming in shrimp, scallops, mussels, crab and clams. The fish was good but I didn't care for the miso broth. Lowell liked the whole thing! I had a special of salmon sushi wrapped around avocado, ginger and whitefish. It was excellent and if I had two orders of this I would have been very happy. We ordered "cooked" entrees rather than a sushi or sashimi entrée. I had a disappointing seared tuna with sautéed scallions, mushrooms, broccoli and Chinese noodles. The menu said that the tuna would be topped with homemade wasabi sauce which was missing. Lowell had the Japanese sirloin steak which tasted more like a London broil to me. The steak was cool but edible and not great.  I wouldn't order it again. The menu said it would be accompanied with Oriental vegetables which turned out to be asparagus and shredded cabbage! We passed on dessert and were served orange segments.  I certainly would go back here and try the sushi dinners as our appetizer was outstanding. BYO. Also, the restaurant was empty and the food came out very fast. We arrived at 5:15 and left at 6:15.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

I had lunch, by myslef, at Fumio's today, one of my 'standard'  ones, a tuna/avocado roll and a salmon/cucumber roll and miso soup. It was pleasant. Fumio's has kept the fancy wooden soup spoons which I find annoying. They are flat and it is hard to get a real spoon of soup with those. The chopsticks are laquered silver and the napkins are cloth. Very elegant for a sushi bar. I plan to go again and try sashimi. While I was waiting, a lady came by to pick up a takeout and complimented them on their special chicken dish. I was the only customer at the sushi bar and there were only 3 tables in use in the restaurant. I do plan another trip, next time with some other people.

• 6 years later...

I read in a recent posting at NJMonthly.com ( Rosies Openings and Closings) , that Fumio's opened and the info included a line about being kosher. Is Fumio no longer a Japanese restaurant? I drive by it often, but have never eaten there . Did not realize it had closed, and then re-opened.