• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The French Laundry 2006 -

Barbara Moss

BekkiM. I'm sorry for your "let down," but I'm thankful you posted.

Question: what made the cubes of "Korean flan" Korean?

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

BekkiM.  I'm sorry for your "let down," but I'm thankful you posted.

Question: what made the cubes of "Korean flan" Korean?

As let downs go, this wasn't nearly as traumatic as breaking up with my first boy friend, so I think I'll survive. :wink:

According to our waiter, one of the chefs had a Korean grandmother who used to make "4-day flan" for him which is what gave him the inspiration. Reports from our table were that it was quite tasty.

And I realized I forgot to mention the butter tasting--we also had a choice of two, one from Petaluma (which we dubbed "happy butter" as it comes, according to the commercials, from "happy cows") and one from Vermont (which, just to contrast, we dubbed "bitter butter"), both with fleur de sel. I think I preferred the Vermont butter, but maybe just to be true to my roots (I was raised there).

Feast then thy heart, for what the heart has had, the hand of no heir shall ever hold.

Thanks for the report, Bekki!

I was just downloading the photos from my camera from my trip last week (I dined at TFL on Thursday night).

I noticed that they had "jamon iberco" on one of the dishes in the vegetable tasting menu and I was wondering if you had any clarity on what that component of the dish actually was?

I was just downloading the photos from my camera from my trip last week (I dined at TFL on Thursday night).

I noticed that they had "jamon iberco" on one of the dishes in the vegetable tasting menu and I was wondering if you had any clarity on what that component of the dish actually was?

Um, if there was Jamon Iberico appearing on a vegetarian dish, then we've got a problem here. To be sure, are we talking about the cured ham from Spain? If so, how does this compute?

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Um, if there was Jamon Iberico appearing on a vegetarian dish, then we've got a problem here. To be sure, are we talking about the cured ham from Spain? If so, how does this compute?

I actually asked about this and the response was that the second menu is not "vegetarian" (nor is it billed as such), rather that it is a tasting menu that features vegetables.

The "jamon iberico" is, indeed, a lovely, acorn-fed ham.

Feast then thy heart, for what the heart has had, the hand of no heir shall ever hold.

Someone was smiling down on me when I scored a coveted lunch reservation at The French Laundry for lunch today--my friend's birthday. It was just an overall wonderful experience. The service was perfection and the food was fresh and seasonal--exactly what you would expect from chef Keller. There is really nothing more to say than that. To pick apart each dish would be a crime. It was worth the visit and you should go if you ever have the opportunity. Kudos and big thanks to chef Keller and his team for creating a meal worth remembering.

gallery_41537_5717_50624.jpg

The minute I saw this sign, my heart started racing like I was going on a blind date.

gallery_41537_5717_80515.jpg

The French Laundry building.

gallery_41537_5717_66287.jpg

The courtyard outside the restaurant.

gallery_41537_5717_35082.jpg

The door to the restaurant.

gallery_41537_5717_6885.jpg

Napkin and branded clothespin.

gallery_41537_5717_8347.jpg

Our menu which they personalized, at my request, for my friend's birthday.

gallery_41537_5717_7799.jpg

Salmon tartare coronets filled with creme fraiche.

gallery_41537_5717_14731.jpg

Gougères to help start the meal off right.

gallery_41537_5717_6988.jpg

Cauliflower "panna cotta" with Island Creek oyster glaze and Sterling White Sturgeon caviar.

gallery_41537_5717_28510.jpg

Assortment of salted and unsalted butters (at perfect temperature, I might add).

gallery_41537_5717_25216.jpg

One of the many gorgeous breads from Bouchon Bakery.

gallery_41537_5717_4952.jpg

Salad of golden chanterelle mushrooms, first of the season fava beans, hearts of romaine and red pepper essence.

gallery_41537_5717_9425.jpg

"Tartare" of Kindai bluefin tuna with Tokyo turnips, English peas, Jacobsen's Farm radishes and garden mint "aigre-doux."

gallery_41537_5717_813.jpg

Sweet butter-poached Maine lobster tail with cara cara orange, glazed sunchokes, nicoise olive emulsion and squid ink.

gallery_41537_5717_15824.jpg

All-day braised Kurobuta pork belly, Yukon gold potato "confite," frisee lettuce and preserved green tomato vinaigrette.

gallery_41537_5717_4028.jpg

Elysian Fields Farm lamb ribeye "et son plat de cote," melted swiss chard, green garlic and glazed fennel bulb.

gallery_41537_5717_21480.jpg

Mrs. Quicke's cheddar with "Branston pickle" and cilantro shoots.

gallery_41537_5717_4622.jpg

Diane St. Claire's Buttermilk Sherbet with spiced streusel and honey-glazed cranberry.

gallery_41537_5717_18425.jpg

Valrhona Chocolate "Dobos" with chestnut butter, candied chestnuts and brown bread ice cream.

gallery_41537_5717_11136.jpg

Granny smith apple "bavarois" with cinnamon "sable," dijon mustard ice cream and crystallized Napa Valley mustard blossoms.

gallery_41537_5717_26872.jpg

Tahitian vanilla creme brulee.

gallery_41537_5717_25105.jpg

Meyer lemon pot de creme.

gallery_41537_5717_16372.jpg

Mignardises

gallery_41537_5717_17752.jpg

Mignardises

gallery_41537_5717_13808.jpg

The bill, cookies and branded clothespin to take home.

Full post with larger photos HERE

Unfortunately, no, I did not get to taste this one. Reports were that it was excellent, but that's all I know.

(And clearly, given the recent photo shoot just posted, I need to work on my camera skills!)

It's taken me a little while, but I'm finally getting around to posting my pictures for the meal I had at The French Laundry on 2/7/08. I could go on and on about the meal, but I'll let the pictures do the talking...

gallery_54501_5719_15859.jpg

gallery_54501_5719_13706.jpg

Gougeres and Salmon Cornets

gallery_54501_5719_13063.jpg

"OYSTERS AND PEARLS"

"Sabayon" of Pearl Tapioca with Island Creek Oysters and White Sturgeon Caviar

gallery_54501_5719_26699.jpg

MOULARD DUCK "FOIE GRAS EN TERRINE"

Baby Beets, Fuyu Persimmon Relish, Cutting Celery and 100 Year-Aged Balsamic Vinegar

gallery_54501_5719_10677.jpg

FILET OF COBIA "CONFIT A LA MINUTE"

Glazed Sunchokes, Garden Broccolini, Marcona Almonds and Sour Cherry-Nicoise Olive Puree

gallery_54501_5719_2029.jpg

STEAMED "MADARA" COD

Crispy "Shirako", Akita Komachi Rice, Roasted Cabbage and Young Ginger "Aigre-Doux"

gallery_54501_5719_22228.jpg

SWEET BUTTER-POACHED MAINE LOBSTER TAIL

Purple-Top Turnips, Thumbelina Carrots, Pea Shoots and "Sauce Paloise"

gallery_54501_5719_3240.jpg

WOLFE RANCH WHITE QUAIL

Green Apples, Hobbs Shore Bacon, Toasted Pecans, Watercress and Blis Maple Syrup

gallery_54501_5719_19012.jpg

ELYSIAN FIELDS FARM "SELLE D'AGNEU ROTIE ENTIERE"

Sweet Onion "Bhaji", Cauliflower "Fleurettes," Sultana Raisins, Arrowleaf Spinach and Whipped Andante Dairy Yogurt

gallery_54501_5719_11890.jpg

"APPENZELLER"

Belgian Endive "Remoulade," Parsley Shoots and Caraway Seed "Pain Perdu"

gallery_54501_5719_9566.jpg

DIANE ST. CLAIRE BUTTERMILK SHERBET

with Honey-Glazed Cranberries and Spiced Streusel

gallery_54501_5719_1167.jpg

VALRHONA CHOCOLATE "DOBOS"

Chestnut Butter, Candied Chestnuts and Brown Bread Ice Cream

gallery_54501_5719_4032.jpg

MAUI PINEAPPLE "PAVLOVA"

Coconut-Pineapple Curd and "Pate de Fruits Exotiques"

gallery_54501_5719_18961.jpg

gallery_54501_5719_21142.jpg

"MIGNARDISES"

Meyer Lemon Pot De Creme and Creme Brulee

For those keeping score at home, here's the wine that was drunk:

Glass of Schramsberg "Blanc de Blancs" 2004 California (with the Oysters and Pearls"

Glass of Yves Cuilleron Roussilliere 2006 Rhone (with the Foie Gras)

1/2 Bottle of Weinbach "Schlossberg" Riesling 2005 Alsace (with the Fish and Lobster)

1/2 Bottle of Usseglio Pere Et Fils Chateauneuf du Pape 2005 Rhone (with the Quail and Lamb)

Glass of Dow's 20 yr Tawny Port (with/after Dessert)

I don't feel I can really say anything that hasn't been said a million times over about The French Laundry. I will say that my expectations were fully met, but not exceeded - the meal was solid, service was perfect and I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Best single course served was the Oysters and Pearls (best single component of any dish was the Oysters). The foie gras was what you would expect from foie gras served at The French Laundry - delicious. The Cobia and Quail were surprisingly the next best courses after the Oysters. My wife had the Cod and to her surprise she discovered that the "Shirako" (or "milk" as the waiter called it) was actually the sperm sack of the fish. That component of her dish definitely seemed to be the best, even if it was a little "gooey" (her words not mine). The Lobster and Lamb were good, but honestly not as good as I expected. The cheese course and the dessert were my least favorites of the night, but still really good all things considered.

Were any of the recent posters offered the Donuts & Coffee? Chowhound reports are indicating they have to be specifically asked for...

Nope, not me. I did have coffee, which was excellent. What makes one cup of coffee that much better than another, I wonder? Obviously not allowing it to boil away to burnt goo helps and starting with good, fresh beans, but after that? Guess I'll go look in the "Drinks" forum and see if anyone there knows... :smile:

Alex, re: the Cod. I see the "crispy" milt on top, and the rice on the bottom - but where is the "Steamed Cod?" Is it mixed in with the rice?

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Were any of the recent posters offered the Donuts & Coffee? Chowhound reports are indicating they have to be specifically asked for...

Nope, not me. I did have coffee, which was excellent. What makes one cup of coffee that much better than another, I wonder? Obviously not allowing it to boil away to burnt goo helps and starting with good, fresh beans, but after that? Guess I'll go look in the "Drinks" forum and see if anyone there knows... :smile:

It isn't really coffee -- the "Donuts and Coffee" are tender, beautiful hand-made donuts served with a coffee pot de creme. Stunning.

It isn't really coffee -- the "Donuts and Coffee" are tender, beautiful hand-made donuts served with a coffee pot de creme. Stunning.

Actually it's a cappuccino semifreddo unless I'm mistaken. The hot donuts with the cold semifreddo is a great combo, and I don't even like coffee most of the time!

When I ate there I did the dumb thing of picking up the coffee cup and trying to drink the semifreddo. Fortunately I was was eating alone and nobody saw.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Actually it's a cappuccino semifreddo unless I'm mistaken. The hot donuts with the cold semifreddo is a great combo, and I don't even like coffee most of the time!

You aren't mistaken.

When I ate there I did the dumb thing of picking up the coffee cup and trying to drink the semifreddo. Fortunately I was was eating alone and nobody saw.

Don't be so hard on yourself. I mean, after all, it IS called "Coffee and Donuts," and the "Coffee" WAS served in a cup. If one is to make a witty play on the quotidien breakfast coupling, one WOULD presume that the "Coffee" was appropriate for donut dunking... or drinking.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Alex, thanks for sharing the photos.  Looks like a great meal.

Shirako at TFL, eh?  I'll be damned.  I had shirako on a recent trip to Tokyo and loved it.

Could you possibly tell us a little more about that particular dish?  It looks wonderful.

(Also FYI, the waiter was probably saying "milt")

I can't tell you too much about the dish as it was my wife's. She did mention that it was actually her least favorite dish. The cod was actually mixed in with the rice and according to her, it was quite bland. I was able to try a bite of the Shirako and remember it being very non-descript. Almost like it could have been fried *anything*. She recalled that the interior was runny and had a lot of veins and was not all that appealing. On the contract, I felt my Cobia was delicious. Of the two fish dishes, it seems as if the Cod wins on design and the Cobia on execution.

I don't know where I got "milk" from - maybe it was the accent??

For what it's worth, we did not have the Donuts and Coffee, but the table next to us did, so I assume a mere request is all that is neccessary. I wish I somehow saved room for the Donuts and Coffee as I hear it's everything folks make it out to be.