• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The French Laundry 2006 -

Barbara Moss

Beautiful photos, Doc and Molto. This is my first visit to this thread, and I was so glad to see the exterior shots and the gardens, as well as the food. The plates are beyond gorgeous. Doc, what are the glowing yellow triangles on the dish you didn't like?

Beautiful photos, Doc and Molto.  This is my first visit to this thread, and I was so glad to see the exterior shots and the gardens, as well as the food.  The plates are beyond gorgeous.  Doc, what are the glowing yellow triangles on the dish you didn't like?

That would have to be the cheese. I found the textural combination of the cheese and the potato unpleasantly jarring, while the flavor combination did not mesh particularly well either.

This one course, while a distinct negative could not deflate the other extreme highs of the evening.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

• 3 weeks later...

... So, I'm sitting in a restaurant and can't help but overhear a very loud lady at the next table say that when she went to the French Laundry, they served Zingerman'sbread.

My first thought was - "why would they do that?" :huh:

Not that Zingerman's bread isn't good (well, depends on the day - i'll reserve comment for another thread), but why would TFL purchase and serve bread made half-way across the country? That just seems senseless... surely it would fresher, cheaper, and maybe better (?) coming from its own kitchen, Bouchon, or some local bakery.

Can anyone help clear up this mystery? Did the woman just not know what she was talking about? :unsure:

u.e.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

do you believe everything you overhear?

Clearly not, or else I wouldn't have bothered to ask. I should have clarified that in my post. What I implied was something along the lines of - "If it is to be believed at all, why would they do this...?"

french laundry has its own bakery.

Right, I would expect so...

maybe it's not as good as zingerman's, maybe it is.
IMO, let's hope It's not any worse!

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

The price is still $135 per person for the tasting menu--$115 for the five-course menu, and $115 for the nine-course vegetarian menu. Gratuity is currently at 18%. Lunch/Dinner for two is at least $330 and  that's not including beverages or foie gras.  :shock: 

In 2003, Really Nice listed the prices of lunch at the French Laundry. Have they changed at all in the last three years? Their website says $210, including service, but doesn't clarify if it's the price for lunch, dinner, or both. I'll probably be in the area in August, and I'm planning where to eat. French Laundry is most definitely high on my list (if I can find someone to go with me), but I need to balance my budget (there are other places to eat, too!) and plan accordingly.

If one should use Open Table to reserve, does the 10am start time still apply?

• 2 weeks later...

I will elaborate later... but from a recent meal at The French Laundry - it was bar none, the worst dining experience I've had in the U.S. in a LONG time. The service was egregiously bad. :angry:

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

... So, I'm sitting in a restaurant and can't help but overhear a very loud lady at the next table say that when she went to the French Laundry, they served Zingerman'sbread.

My first thought was - "why would they do that?"  :huh:

Not that Zingerman's bread isn't good (well, depends on the day - i'll reserve comment for another thread), but why would TFL purchase and serve bread made half-way across the country?  That just seems senseless... surely it would fresher, cheaper, and maybe better (?) coming from its own kitchen, Bouchon, or some local bakery. 

Can anyone help clear up this mystery?  Did the woman just not know what she was talking about?  :unsure:

u.e.

TFL Bread comes from Bouchon Bakery a few minutes before they start service.

Yes, this would make sense - as it was very good. Can anyone help me identify a certain Bouchon/TFL bread? It was round, and slightly shiny and glazed (kind of like pretzel bread) - slit maybe three or four times across the top. It was dusted with bits of sea salt. Inside, the bread was soft and moist - and just a tinge sweet - not quite brioche, but close.

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Thanks for asking that, I have been meaning to do so for the last few weeks since I dined there. My fiancée is in love with the bread and has been bugging me to find out how to make it, or where to get it.

I recently found a picture of it online:

flbread5ge.jpg

I also called them about the bread, and all the information I got was that it was a regular bread roll with Maldon sea salt on it. I vaguely remember the waiter mentioning something about an eggy dough akin to brioche, but I am not sure given that information I received on the phone. I really hope someone does have more information, as I would love to eat more of it. :smile:

Edited by Sergio (log)

Bouchon Bakery makes proprietary breads that are used ONLY at TFL, and not sold to the public through the bakery's retail store. I had a similar experience with a different bread the last time I dined at FL, and when I inquired at both the restaurant and the bakery, that is the answer I received. I'm going to Yountville tomorrow, so I'll bring the picture of the bread and ask at the bakery for you, but I think we already know the answer.

"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti."

- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Thanks for asking that, I have been meaning to do so for the last few weeks since I dined there. My fiancée is in love with the bread and has been bugging me to find out how to make it, or where to get it.

I recently found a picture of it online:

flbread5ge.jpg

I also called them about the bread, and all the information I got was that it was a regular bread roll with Maldon sea salt on it. I vaguely remember the waiter mentioning something about an eggy dough akin to brioche, but I am not sure given that information I received on the phone. I really hope someone does have more information, as I would love to eat more of it.  :smile:

That's it!! That's exactly the bread roll we were served... and your description certainly sounds like how I had described it...

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I will elaborate later... but from a recent meal at The French Laundry - it was bar none, the worst dining experience I've had in the U.S. in a LONG time.  The service was egregiously bad.  :angry:

u.e.

OK, I'm sure that your experience was not a good one. But I would think that the above sentence is in context to the level of service expected vs. the level received. It could not have the been the "bar none, the worst" judging all restauraunts on a standad scale....could it?

I must say that my personal experience was one of the best I've ever had.

I can't wait to hear the details!

I will elaborate later... but from a recent meal at The French Laundry - it was bar none, the worst dining experience I've had in the U.S. in a LONG time.  The service was egregiously bad.   :angry:

u.e.

OK, I'm sure that your experience was not a good one. But I would think that the above sentence is in context to the level of service expected vs. the level received. It could not have the been the "bar none, the worst" judging all restauraunts on a standad scale....could it?

... well... yes, and no. For a restaurant of that caliber, the service we received was definitely unacceptable. However, on a "standard scale," I was perhaps exaggerating just a bit - but not much... the service we received was truly one of the most memorably bad experiences of any restaurant - fast food, chain, upscale, what have you...

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I will elaborate later... but from a recent meal at The French Laundry - it was bar none, the worst dining experience I've had in the U.S. in a LONG time.  The service was egregiously bad.  :angry:

u.e.

... well... yes, and no. For a restaurant of that caliber, the service we received was definitely unacceptable. However, on a "standard scale," I was perhaps exaggerating just a bit - but not much... the service we received was truly one of the most memorably bad experiences of any restaurant - fast food, chain, upscale, what have you...

u.e.

It is not fair to make a statement like this and not elaborate on exactly what you mean. Given the level of service I personally received there I have a hard time believing this. Of course TFL is a human institution and anything is possible. I can understand how some people may not prefer the style of service, but I am very curious of your explanation.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

In the two times that I ate at TFL (one lunch and one dinner) I was disappointed in the service as well. Of course, I measured against service in France...

I can certainly understand being disappointed with the service there or anywhere else. The service at TFL is of a unique style and certainly may not appeal to everyone and as with anywhere else there can be gaps in the service for any number of reasons. I am just very curious as to what made U.E. make such a strong statement about it.

Twitter - @docsconz