• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The French Laundry 2006 -

Barbara Moss

So... as it stands, I have reservations at both Per Se and TFL.  Any recent reports from TFL?  It seems like there's been a pervading air of disappointment lately... hope someone can help clear it up with a positive report!

u.e.

I can't help you, but those reports give me some solace in not getting my own reservation. We will be dining at Cyrus instead.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

So... as it stands, I have reservations at both Per Se and TFL.  Any recent reports from TFL?  It seems like there's been a pervading air of disappointment lately... hope someone can help clear it up with a positive report!

u.e.

I can't help you, but those reports give me some solace in not getting my own reservation. We will be dining at Cyrus instead.

I disagree. I dined at the Laundry on Tuesday (yes, the second time in 4 months). It is, overall, as close to a perfect dining experience as one can have. No, the food isn't cutting edge -- how can it be when everyone and his brother are copying it -- but it represents flawless execution using top-notch products. The service raises the experience to another level all together.

On a note that I have not seen reported here, the Laundry has changed its pricing from $175 plus automatic service charge (19%, I think it was) to $210 service compris. Do the math, that is essentially the same price. Per Se instituted the pricing last year. I am guessing the Laundry did it after the January break.

Oh, and the reception foyer was remodeled. There is no longer a small bar but instead a small seating area.

i was there last friday and it was absolutely wonderful. lunch. 16 courses. 10 (or so) wines. 5 hours.

i'll report back w/ the menu when it gets typed up this weekend.

service was amazing.

Great news from all of you. Thanks for the reports. Not that I doubt TFL's service or quality - but it's always reassuring to hear positive reports.

dvs - looking forward to the menu.

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

well, I ate there last saturday after trying for about three weeks to get in. I had very high expectations using my recent trip to Alex in vegas as the bar. I have to say that if cost were no object, TFL would lose to Alex in decor, service and food presentation (this one by only the smallest margin). However, when cost is entered into it, I believe that Alex wins by a land slide. This is only based on the absolutely crazy wine prices and not offering a pairing with the food. This is probably politically motivated since they are in the heart of wine country and most likely do not want to offend any big growers. But you really miss out on having the amazing pairings of totally exotic rare wines that you have with the sommelier menu at Alex, but still pay the same price even if you bottom pick from the wine list. Some of the wines on the FL list were as much as 500% over wine store prices. To be honest it really took away from the experience right when you got there as you searched for a modest zin and chardonnay for $400 together.

That being said, it is a great place. Will I eat there again- no, will I eat at alex again- yes.

The French Laundry Tasting-Menu Lunch on March 10, 2006

... as remembered by my father...

1. Champagne (real) – vineyard and vintage not recorded.

2. Cheese puff with gruyere and mornay sauce.

3. Salmon tartare in a tiny ice cream cone with creme fraiche and chives.

4. Two soups (M&F):

(a) Pea shoots with red & yellow sweet pepper.

(b) Parsnip soup with granny smith apple and creme fraiche.

5. Caviar course — hot and cold:

(a) Hot: “Oysters and Pearls”: Sabayon of pearl tapioca with Beau Soleil oysters and Sevruga caviar.

(b) Cold: with cauliflower and panne cotta.

6. Fish course #1 with wine: Schollium Project — Sauvignon blanc (Carneros, Cal.)

(a) Salt cod brandade, with potato, and tomato coulis.

(b) Atlantic salmon chop with black truffles.

7. Hen egg “hollandaise”, with truffle; black truffle infused cream.

8. Salad course with wine: Prager(?) Gr¨uner Veltliner; Bouchon bread with sweet butter from Cal. and salt butter from Vermont.

(a) Hawaiian hearts of peach palm, crispy haupia, mizuna shoots and glazed red radishes.

(b) Pate and peppers (?)

9. Pasta course with wine: Mt. Eden Chardonnay, 2001, Santa Cruz Mountains (excellent!)

(a) Fettuccine with white sauce and shaved black trues.

(b) Risotto in white sauce and black trues.

10. Fish course #2 with wine: Deux C, 2004 (50% Santa Barbara, 50% Rhone Valley)

(a) Dorade.

(b) Kahlua (sp??) with haricots and amandes.

11. Lobster tail course:

(a) Lobster with king trumpet mushrooms.

(b) Lobster with cippolini onion shoots and bulb and bone marrow button in sauce Bordelaise.

12. Moulard duck foie gras en terrine avec six sels, with Alsacian Gewurztraminer, confit of rhubarb, perigord truffle coulis, Sicilian pistachio crumble and frisee lettuce.

13. Meat course #1: Devil’s Gulch Ranch “jambonette de lapin” bunny — rack, loin and liver, with Cote Rotie (Rhone).

14. Meat course #2, with Clos du Bourg(?):

(a) Saddle of lamb — Elysian Fields Farm “selle d’agneau rotie entiere”, glazed artichoke gratin. sweet carrot buttons, wilted spinach and sauce d’agneau.

(b) Cˆote de boeuf and black trumpet mushrooms.

15. Cheese course (small!) with Prager Gr¨uner Veltliner again.

16. Caf´e

17. Madeira – 1978

18. White verjus granit´e with ni¸coise olive nougatine.

19. Coffee and donuts, a la TFL.

20. Wine: 1971 PX (?) plus two chocolate miracles!

21. Chocolates, etc., etc., etc.

"Some of the wines on the FL list were as much as 500% over wine store prices. "

Is this for real. 500% markup over store prices? If it is true? Can it be true?

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

"Some of the wines on the FL list were as much as 500% over wine store prices. "

Is this for real.  500% markup over store prices?  If it is true?  Can it be true?

Not from what I've seen. The wine list isn't cheap but I've never had any trouble finding any number of interesting wines to drink with dinner without spending a fortune.

I will soon be able to see this for myself. We finally got a reservation. Alas, no Cyrus this trip!

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

Is this for real.  500% markup over store prices?  If it is true?  Can it be true?

Sure the wine is expensive, as is the entire experience. I have not studied the list to find wines I could buy elsewhere. I have only looked for things I haven't seen or drunk before.

Also, please remember that the current wine list prices are inclusive of service. So, the wine listed at $100 is really $83 plus a 20% "tip." Now, if you are a person who is not in the habit of tipping 20%-ish on the wine portion of your meal, the prices are going to appear even higher to you.

Doc and Sergio: If it can't be me, I'm so glad it's youze guys! I will never forget that fantastic evening, and stepping out into the beautiful, quiet, starry night. Can't wait to hear about it.

Maybe it's time for me to start bugging Mr. FB to do another 36-hour trip that way. Yeah.

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

I will soon be able to see this for myself. We finally got a reservation. Alas, no Cyrus this trip!

doc!

Great news!! I look forward to a report - as I'm pretty sure you'll be there before I. :wink:

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

It's not far off from the truth. As someone else pointed out, you are paying a 20% service charge with that price, but you're still paying about retail bottle price per glass. A glass of Schramsberg Blanc de Blancs was about $35. I'll dig up my receipt and report in more detail what we paid for wine.

Gastronomic Fight Club - Mischief. Mayhem. Soup.

Foodies of Omaha - Discover the Best of Omaha

As I was talking with my friends about the really high beverage markup we all remembered also getting gouged at "bouchon" in vegas (another keller place) for a bottle of vintage krug. We spent something like $500 for the bottle and then saw it on the picasso menu the next night for 100 bucks less.

I HAVE THREE DINNER RESERVATIONS FOR THE FRENCH LAUNDRY TO DROP ON OPEN TABLE. PM ME IF YOU'RE INTERESTED! :smile:

The times are:

-Friday, April 7th at 5:30 p.m.

-Saturday, April 8th at 5:30 p.m.

-Monday, April 10th at 5:30 p.m.

All reservations are for 4 diners each.

The first Egulleters to PM me with their email address will be given the reservation of their choice. I will then pass your email to my friend, who will make the time arrangements to drop the Open Table reservations so you can pick them up.

:smile:

(I'm going to check my PM box tomorrow.)

btw--I'll be having dinner there on Sunday at 5:30p.m. :wink:

Dinner tonight, though not perfect, confirms The French Laundry's place IMO amongst the best restaurants in the U.S. Details including pics will eventually follow.

Twitter - @docsconz

I realize this is late in coming, but I ate there almost a year ago now, and it was absolutely fantastic. We asked our waiter to select wines for each course, focusing on the local wines, and he happily obliged. I was thrilled with the pairings, everything tasted wonderful.

Also, I want to note that there were four of us for dinner, and two of us were driving up from San Francisco. The two coming from San Fran were nearly an HOUR late for dinner. I began to seriously panic after about 15 minutes. The host, Larry Nadeau, understood my stress and went out of his way to make me feel better. After inconveniencing him (and the entire evening schedule, as we had early dinner reservations), he gave the two of us free champagne and a few amuse buche, coming back regularly to see if we needed anything else. When the two who were late arrived we were seated immediately and treated royally, in spite of the huge inconvenience our party caused. I've never experienced such incredible treatment before.

Edited by Aileen (log)