• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anyone have a good kringle recipe?

morda

Hi all--

I have some friends who are yearning for good Danish kringle, so I'm trying to oblige. But the recipes I've found googling are all pretty different. So this is my plead for a good, home-tested recipe. I think they said they prefer the almond filling, which I believe is most traditional, but correct me if I'm wrong.

TIA, morda

This is the recipe I use, I recieved it from my Mother and I don't know what book she got it from to give it proper credits. I always use this dough but I use several different fillings.

Danish Kringle, by Jeanne Hardaker, Quicksburg, Virginia.

2 c. ap. flour

1 tbsp. sugar

1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 c. cold butter

1 pkg or 1/4 oz. active dry yeast

1/4 c. warm h20

1/2 c. warm milk

1 egg

Dissolve the yeast in the h20, then add the rest of the liquids. Mix together the dry ingred. cutting in the butter until its in fine crumbs. Combine wet and dry ingred. using a mixer. This dough will be very soft and still sticky. You can't work with this dough while it's warm-it's too sticky and makes you use too much flour. I chill it over night in a greased bowl. After I have my filling ready I then pull it out of the cooler, divide in 2, for two kringles (or you can make 1 large one). Roll it into a rectangle aprx. 15" x 6". Spread filling on dough and then bring up your edges and pinch together dough to make a long rope. Place on your baking tray and shape into a O. Brush with an egg wash and top with almonds (for an almond kringle). Proof it (let it rise) then bake at 375 until golden. I use a simple frosting (milk, xxx sugar and vanilla) drizzled over the top before serving.

Almond filling: this is very rich and dense. You can use any filling your like with this dough.

8 oz. almond paste

1/2 c.p chopped almonds

1/2 c. sugar

1 egg white

1 tsp. cinnamon

1 tsp. almond extract

Mixed together.

Thanks for the recipes. I don't think I've seen almond paste in the store (then again, I don't spend a lot of time in the baking aisle). Is that the same as marzipan? Can I get that at regular grocery?

Thanks for the recipes. I don't think I've seen almond paste in the store (then again, I don't spend a lot of time in the baking aisle). Is that the same as marzipan? Can I get that at regular grocery?

Almond paste and marzipan are not the same thing. Marzipan is almond paste with sugar added (and sometimes other stuff). You can usually buy both in the grocery store baking aisle.

These things are great. My wife used to work for a large retail company and her vendors used to send her these from some place in Michigan(I think). YThey had raspberry, cherry, pecan, apple. I always looked forward to the time of year she came home with boxes of them, oh boy were they good, she had to hide them because I would inhale them. For a pastry chef, i havent even attempted these yet...probably great item for my store. Wendy, what other fillings do you use?

"Chocolate has no calories....

Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

www.sweetkarmadesserts.com

550 East Meadow Ave. East meadow, NY 11554

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

Hey Brian, glad to see you have a free moment to visit us. I think the most famous source of these is in Wisconsin, I think Racine.....they ship all over the country, sell to Sams club even (I'm like the last person on earth thats never tasted them though, one day).

Think of this like any other coffeecake. Any fillings you use for them works here, cream cheese, any fruit, any nut and every combo you can dream of.

This is a really fast and easy breakfast item to make. Make sure your working with cold dough-or it will stick to everything. Just roll out, fill, proof and bake.

Yes Wen, they are from Racine. So Good :raz: ....my mouth is watering right now

"Chocolate has no calories....

Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

www.sweetkarmadesserts.com

550 East Meadow Ave. East meadow, NY 11554

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

I have to admit that I've never even eaten kringle before. And yes, I'm going to attempt to make it, without even knowing what I'm aiming for...LOL! But not until next week, when I get back from my trip. And maybe in the meantime I'll try to get a Racine one from Sam's to educate myself...

Edited to say MEANtime, not mind time...

Edited by morda (log)