• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yuca

Actually I have been there -- for a Happy Hour for a departing Cubana whith whom I had the pleaseue to work. Damn fine mojitos and a nice space. The menu looked interesting, but since I didn't sample anything solid can't comment on the food.

Edited by FunJohnny (log)

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

how much are the mojitos at happy hour?

I wanna say something. I'm gonna put it out there; if you like it, you can take it, if you don't, send it right back. I want to be on you.

how much are the mojitos at happy hour?

I need to clarify that the Happy Hour wasn't an official one at Yuca, it was one organized by us to say farewell to our colleague. I'm not sure if Yuca has a "Happy Hour" and darned if I can remember precisely how much the mojitas were -- not unreasonable though. Other than that can I be of further assistance...?

You're a brave man, laddy! :biggrin: Let us know if there is in fact a Happy Hour.

I was the sole drinker in the bar at 4:45pm today. The mojito was well made, lots of bug juice :) and the cost was $6.00. THey used fresh lime and mint, and moddled the drink before adding good rum and soda. The "Happy Hour " is till 7 pm and consists a dollar off per drink, no food specials. The menu is very long, but most of the entries are $$ IMHO. The resturant was nice, with good music, tables outside and over stuffed couches in the bar area. I think I will try lunch here this week.

On a really big tangent, I am sitting on my porch typing this and listening to the moody blues, who are playing at Wolf Trap tonight!

I was the sole drinker in the bar at 4:45pm today. The mojito was well made, lots of bug juice :) and the cost was $6.00. THey used fresh lime and mint, and moddled the drink before adding good rum and soda. The "Happy Hour " is till 7 pm and consists a dollar off per drink, no food specials. The menu is very long, but most of the entries are $$ IMHO. The resturant was nice, with good music, tables outside and over stuffed couches in the bar area. I think I will try lunch here this week.

On a really big tangent, I am sitting on my porch typing this and listening to the moody blues, who are playing at Wolf Trap tonight!

sounds good, i will have to try it!

I wanna say something. I'm gonna put it out there; if you like it, you can take it, if you don't, send it right back. I want to be on you.

Thanks for the scoop on Yuca.

As for the Bluedy Moods -- Did you Go? "Tuesday Afternoon..."

I live a 1/2 mile from Wolf Trap and can walk through the woods to get there. On a godd night I sit on my poarch and hear the music. I can also take a picnic and listen for free out in the field behind the outdoor hall. Its a nice "perk" for living in the area. We take advantage when ever Wolf trap has a free event and go to several concerts a year.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, had to take one for the 'Gulls so a friend and I hit this for lunch today. We sat inside but they were seating outdoor if you wanted the full "Cuban" effect [hot and humid]. Good size interior and bar. There was a dance floor too. A few Cubans were seated around, mixed in with DC business types for lunch.

My friend opted for the Grilled Roast Pork sandwich and I went with the Canero sandwich (pork, chorizo & chicken). The sandwiches were big enough that we swapped halves and got to try both. Not having any expereince with Cuban sandwiches, I'll reserve any critical review for those who have but we both liked the sandwiches. A word to the wise: don't fill up on the plantain chips when they bring them out in the basket because you get a big mound of them with your sandwich. Like fries, you can't let them go to waste. If you're a soup and sandwich person, I'd try the soup & half- sandwich lunch special for $7.95. But I'm sure there are some good things like the leg of pork marinated with orange bitter, lemson, onions and braised in the oven, or the jerk beef with roasted sweet potatoes...we'll be back.