• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

another question about the coalgulant nigari

i never seen it in London but we make tofu using Plaster of paris.

This is what i was told to use by my mother when making tofu pudding and we can buy packets of it in our chinese supermarket.

thing is as its a old chinese recipe its not really measured and its pretty much guess work with teh plaster of paris

anyone got a more precise recipe?

the only thing I could find was this...

it isn't very precise though.

Maybe try it in the same proportions I give for nigari?

thanks for that

the thing i'm wondering about is the concentration hmmm...

time to get my chemistry books out.

"so tell me how do you bone a chicken?"

"tastes so good makes you want to slap your mamma!!"

• 1 year later...

I absolutely loved this class. I just moved to Japan two months ago and fell in love with soy all over again (as I do everytime I am here because the soy products are nothing like the ones in the U.S.). I just tried making tofu for the first time and I intend to perfect the process so that when I go home (in two or three years) I will be able to enjoy really good, fresh tofu.

My question, although I realize that you addressed it in the class is: how do you make silk tofu? My momen turned out great, just like in the supermarkets here only more fresh but I would also like to make the silken type of tofu. To do this do I just set the cheesecloth-lined colander over a bowl in the sink and let the whey drain off and leave it without pressing or soaking in water? Will this result in silken tofu? Is there anything else I should know to make sure it turns out right?

Thanks and thanks for the amazing class. I wish more people would give soy a chance because it is so good and good for you!