• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Speculative Bubbles to a Tea

roaddc

Not sure, but this may be Cafe Phillips, which actually at 12th and E in the old Wall Street Deli space (beware the temptation to slide into Ollie's Trollie by "mistake").

Although I cannot vouch for the quality of the bubble tea at Cafe Phillips, I am fairly certain they offer it and I do know that they make a darn good sandwich. (Oven-roasted meats carved right before your eyes.)

Where exactly do you mean? I can't picture it and I nearby. Is it in the strip with the jewelry store and the Cingular shop?

It is on the Metro Center exit near Hecht's (and Cosi). It's on the same strip as the Computer Shop and Dry Cleaners.

Not sure, but this may be Cafe Phillips, which actually at 12th and E in the old Wall Street Deli space (beware the temptation to slide into Ollie's Trollie by "mistake").

Although I cannot vouch for the quality of the bubble tea at Cafe Phillips, I am fairly certain they offer it and I do know that they make a darn good sandwich. (Oven-roasted meats carved right before your eyes.)

Miguelito,

I'm pretty sure that's not the one. it is not near Ollie's.

You need to go up towards Hecht's.

I give up, WTF is "bubble tea"?

Good to know LiamDC isn't the only one until recently unaware of bubble tea--guess this, like many things, has come late to DC. (He tried it in LA with me recently). We've had a bubble tea shop on Penn's campus for more than a year--I guess Georgetown doesn't have one yet? It's a tasty snack for summer that can really fill you up--I especially recommend lychee.

I think I recall seeing some bubble tea shops in Eden Center--in fact, I'm sure of it.

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Are these places on the level of Wok n Roll's bubble tea? (ick)

They need to put a Tenren (yes i know, there is one in Rockville) in DC.

Tenren has good tea, but I haven't tried their bubble variety.

Do people actually like it? I've tried it once and found it revolting, but maybe I'm just not used to chunks in my drinks. :blink:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Are these places on the level of Wok n Roll's bubble tea? (ick)

They need to put a Tenren (yes i know, there is one in Rockville) in DC.

Tenren has good tea, but I haven't tried their bubble variety.

Do people actually like it? I've tried it once and found it revolting, but maybe I'm just not used to chunks in my drinks. :blink:

i love bubble tea. In this area...i like tenren in rockville and teaneck ct in the monthgomery mall.

-Jason

Among many others in Eden Center, Song Que (owned by the same family that owns Four Sisters) has good bubble drinks in all kinds of flavors, including avocado, durian, jackfruit, coconut, mango, melon, strawberry, coffee, etc. , plus really good grilled pork sandwiches (for about $3.50) and pork bao (about $1.00), but I guess this is a little off the main topic of this thread. But it's lunchtime, and the food there is yummy.

I really do like bubble tea--both the taste and texture are cool. I'm surprised Minibar hasn't done a riff on it yet.

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Maria's Bakeries also make a good Bubble Tea - though my favorite is Ten Ren (lychee flavor especially). ok, i don't know about avocado (?!) flavor, but some of the other typical flavors are mango and passion fruit. I like Teaism, but they make a bad bubble tea.

If you're ever looking for some good baos - Maria's carries about 20 different types.

i'll have to go find this new place.....

Maria's Bakeries also make a good Bubble Tea - though my favorite is Ten Ren (lychee flavor especially). ok, i don't know about avocado (?!) flavor, but some of the other typical flavors are mango and passion fruit. I like Teaism, but they make a bad bubble tea.

If you're ever looking for some good baos - Maria's carries about 20 different types.

i'll have to go find this new place.....

i dont like marias bubble tea, although IMHO its better than all aboard express (also rockville). I prefer tenren and Tea Neck Court (Montgomery mall).

The eden center bubble drinks are good...but i really want a bubble tea place like Tenren (or Saint's Alp, or Sago) around here (NVA).

-Jason

Just an FYI for those who think it's the same thing as tapioca...it's not. The "bubbles" in bubble tea are actually made from yam flour. They are a similar texture to sago and tapioca...you also have to soak them in water and wait for them to "inflate" a bit before they're ready for consumption. I personally don't like the stuff (even though I was in Hong Kong when they first began to be popular about 10 years ago and have tried all forms of it), but there are many, many, many versions out there. Enough that I keep trying one every time something particularly exotic is displayed on the menu. One thing I do like, which is often offered at bubble tea establishments in Asia and in cities like New York and LA, is nata de coco. They're like cool little coconut jellies in your drink...yumm...try it if you see it.

I give up, WTF is "bubble tea"?

Good to know LiamDC isn't the only one until recently unaware of bubble tea--guess this, like many things, has come late to DC. (He tried it in LA with me recently).

Hmmm. :blink:

And I thought bubble tea was created by blowing through a straw. I stained way too many white shirts with that approach, let me tell ya. :raz:

What I had in LA was OK. I didn't love it, but I'd try it again. Next time I'm around Metro Center, I'll look for the mysterious bubble tea place.

Liam

Eat it, eat it

If it's gettin' cold, reheat it

Have a big dinner, have a light snack

If you don't like it, you can't send it back

Just eat it -- Weird Al Yankovic

• 1 month later...

I'm addicted to boba tea and avocado shakes with boba from the little shops in Eden Center. But where can I get boba tea in the District besides Teaism? Thanks for your help.

Yes! Bubble tea - love those chewy little thangs. Besides Eden Center in NoVA, I know there's a bubble tea place near U. Md, but apart from Teaism, I'm coming up dry for the District.

Does anybody know of a place in Arlington/Ballston or Silver Spring where bubble tea might be sold?

Closest to Arlington (Besides the places in Eden Center) that i've heard of is:

A little icecream place called Lee's (I think that's the name) serves bubble tea. It's located in Tysons Mall on the lower level near the Cinnabon..

But I never did check it out.

I don't know about SS but Rockville/Bethesda has several bubble tea places. DC has a couple as well.

-Jason

I'm addicted to boba tea and avocado shakes with boba from the little shops in Eden Center. But where can I get boba tea in the District besides Teaism? Thanks for your help.

Wok N Roll in Chinatown for terrible bubbletea. :)

-Jason