• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Blog: The girl who’s learning to bake

yorkshirepud

Anna, I'm going to throw it together after dinner on Saturday night along with the ice-cream. What's interesting is the the souffle looks much higher in the shot in Bittersweet than mine was. Though I suspect I deflated it alot when I took it out of the oven to add the flour/almonds.

Let us know how the pie is. Are you baking in a pie pan? I don't recommend a tart shell unless you want it all to spill out. Though there must be a way as I've seen pecan tarts before.

Anyone know the secret?

Adele

The only thing that scares me about buying an ice cream maker is that I'd eat MORE ice cream...being single, that is NOT a good thing!

But you can also make some wonderful things that are low calorie and taste the way YOU want them to taste.

I make a fantastic tomato gelato which is a wonderful palate cleanser after a bunch of rich "starters" ...

Now you have a lot of choices that are really inexpensive. I did have a couple of the kind that had a container that had to go into the freezer, however I finally bit the bullet and bought one that has coolant in it and all you have to do is turn in on to chill, then pour the mixture into the freezing chamber and turn it on. In 20 minutes it is done.

I have been using Splenda and have had some excellent results. I have to dig out the ice cream cookbooks I used and try something different.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

The only thing that scares me about buying an ice cream maker is that I'd eat MORE ice cream...being single, that is NOT a good thing!

But you can also make some wonderful things that are low calorie and taste the way YOU want them to taste.

I make a fantastic tomato gelato which is a wonderful palate cleanser after a bunch of rich "starters" ...

Now you have a lot of choices that are really inexpensive. I did have a couple of the kind that had a container that had to go into the freezer, however I finally bit the bullet and bought one that has coolant in it and all you have to do is turn in on to chill, then pour the mixture into the freezing chamber and turn it on. In 20 minutes it is done.

I have been using Splenda and have had some excellent results. I have to dig out the ice cream cookbooks I used and try something different.

Really? :hmmm:

How much do these lovely machines cost? :unsure:

And it's done in 20 minutes? :shock:

:wub::wub::wub:

I must know more!

Erin

"American by birth, Irish by the grace of God"

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Adele!!

Just wanted you to know I'm enjoying your travels in the baking world AND I just bought The Secrets of Baking by Sherry Yard! (I think you inspired me to buy it!!) Very interesting reading!!

I know you took a little time off recently..... wondering if you're back on track :smile:

Your pictures are beautiful BTW!!!!

Charisse

Hello,

I am new to EGULLET. I just wanted to let you know that I have enjoyed your adventures in baking! I completely understand your venture b/c I have also started brushing up on my baking skills. Like you, I used to look at one side of the grocery store aisle....the aisle that contained cake mixes, cookie mixes, and any other mixes. I made it a point to stay away from anything that sounded confusing (i.e. all of these different types of flours, sugars, etc.). However, as I have become more interested in baking, I now look at the aisle stuff opposite the cake mix and cookie mixes, not feeling intimidated anymore. I used to want to take the easy way out...add the mix and the few ingredients that were called for. Now, I actually enjoy carefully measuring out each ingredient, mixing and waiting for that final product!

Through my venture, my taste buds have even changed. I used to prefer box cake mixes, but now my tongue can decipher the difference. Dont get me wrong, box mixes served there purposes, but now I prefer cakes, cookies and other goodies made from scratch. Like you, not only do I want to be able to put a good recipe together, I would also like to know and understand teh principles of baking.

I look forward to hearing the rest of your journey, as I take my own journey. Right now, I am focusing on cakes and cookies and hope to move into other desserts and baked goods. I also plan to pick up some good books to assist me. There are alot of great suggestions in this thread!!

Edited by BROWNSUGA (log)

Rebecca

I looked into the use of Golden Syrup (she offers the sub for dark corn syrup) for you.

She chooses to use it because she thinks it prevents the pie from being sickly sweet. Also, it adds a 'special' mellow flavor.

I'm chiming in on this rather late, but I think the biggest difference between golden syrup and corn syrup is the taste. Corn syrup has a cloying sweetness to me. It's the difference between that lovely bite that Coca-Cola had when I was a kid and the bland syrupy-ness of it now. From what I understand, corn syrup works in the carmel and in making some candies as an extra ingredient to the granulated sugar not to add sweetness but to hamper crystallization. I think this is because it is a different shape of sugar molecule where as Lyle's is made with cane sugar and would be the same shape molecule.

Victoria Raschke, aka ms. victoria

Eat Your Heart Out: food memories, recipes, rants and reviews

Hey Adele...Mamasue here...

Just wanted to tell ya that I also bought the Secrets of Baking too! I couldn't take it anymore and weakened! :biggrin:

Looking forward to some more baking experiences. :smile:

Hey Mamsue,

Do share what you try. I haven't fully explored the book yet. Get making that ice-cream! It's divine.

Everyone, sorry for being AWOL lately. I've been super busy and out of it lately. I have guests coming for 2 weeks, so will resume this blog after if there's still interest.

Adele

Adele

'....so will resume this blog after if there's still interest.' Yes please! I haven't been around for a while (broke my ankle, had to have an operation) and was delighted to find this thread when I came back today. I had just ordered Sherry Yard's book and I've always meant to try pecan pie (have a friend who loves it) so was fascinated by your reports. Nice dog, too. Some pictures of the cats would be good as well.....

Yes, Please continue! I love this baking thread. I've gotten Sherry Yard's book as well but haven't made anything from it yet. Not really wanting to do pecan pie now that summer is here. Has anybody made anything else from her book that they liked?

Sherry Yard's book... Has anybody made anything else from her book that they liked?

Got my copy a few weeks ago :smile: ... so far, I've made:

1) Blondies... dry (cough, cough). Coincidentally, I later ran across that same comment notated in the margin of an old fundraiser cookbooks... next to an identical Blondie recipe. In all fairness, Ms. Yard does refer to it as "the traditional recipe".

2) Creamy Caramel Sauce... used in conjunction with the Blondies' recipe. Preparation was a bit of work... especially since it didn't add any more/better/appreciable flavor to the brownies than the squeezable bottle of commercial ice cream topping that I substituted experimentally on half the pan. Also, cooking the sugar to 350 degrees created a more bitter caramel than I prefer.

3) Classic Croissants... superb, right down to the last crumb! :biggrin: This recipe is definitely on the keeper list.

Instructions in her book are very thorough, clearly and efficiently written, as well as being easy to follow.

Di

Just had notification from Amazon that my book has been dispatched. So (hopefully!) a couple of weeks to peruse it then get this cast off my ankle, then into the kitchen. I like the sound of those croissants, DiH. Croissants are one of those things where I've been trying to track down the ultimate recipe - you know how every now and then you become fixated on finding or making the perfect example of whatever-it-is? Croissants, brownies, choux pastry, ice cream.....

I made the sugar cookies from The Secrets of Baking - Excellent! I liked them b/c they weren't all butter!!! But that was basic enough for me to try.... I'm looking forward to more of your reviews Adele (after your company, of course!!) :cool:

Charisse

I made the sugar cookies from The Secrets of Baking - Excellent! I liked them b/c they weren't all butter!!! But that was basic enough for me to try.... I'm looking forward to more of your reviews Adele (after your company, of course!!) :cool:

Charisse

Charisse