• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Who’s Coming to Dinner?

Ruby

Dead: My Grandfather, Mr. Rogers, Elenor Roosevelt and President Kennedy

I'd have James Beard cook it in the kitchen of my great grandfather's deli. Great Grandpa's pickles would be sitting on the table in our family's pickle dish.

Alive: James Watson, Alice Waters, Hillary Rodham Clinton and Tom Hanks.

I'd have Tony Bourdain cook the meal and we would dine somewhere in Tuscany.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

R. Tagore

Julia Child (I would have her select the menu and wine)

S. Diagilov

Robin Williams

What disease did cured ham actually have?

Megan sandwich: White bread, Miracle Whip and Italian submarine dressing. {Megan is 4 y.o.}

Thomas Jefferson

Winston Churchill

Richard Feynman

John Cleese (for fun and interpretation of the other three)

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

living - jon stewart, bill clinton, bill maher, & bf - so we could discuss it later.

dead - frank sinatra, bette davis, grandpa mitchell, and an ashtray.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

W.A. Mozart, F. J. Haydn, Doc Schaeffer and Garbriel Deutsch. I'm assuming there would be a pianoforte in the room and while having coffee the first two would be tossing off melodies and doing all sorts of marvelous improvisational things while Doc Schaeffer and I would be listening, and when necessary, Doc would tell Gaby to be quiet in the most tactful way possible.

It's not that I don't want to talk to anybody, it's just that anybody I want to talk to has gone and died. Talk about lack of consideration for others :sad:

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

Julia Child (passe, I know), Stevie Ray Vaughan, Janis Joplin, and, ahem, Jodie Foster.

No ahem necessary. :laugh:

I spent parts of two days with Ms. Foster (friend of a friend of my aunt) in Tuscany in 1991 and found her extremely intelligent, an excellent conversationalist who's genuinely interested in what everyone else is doing and thinking about, and a gracious and witty person. I thoroughly enjoyed making her acquaintance.

Michael aka "Pan"

WC Fields, Groucho Marx,Robin Williams, Tommy Smothers. I'd be the straight man. Tommys wine.

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

Mark Twain, Oscar Wilde, and James Morrow.

Satire a la carte.

Edit to add fourth person, Warren Embree, an old buddy/employer of mine.

Edited by jsolomon (log)

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Night 1: Robert Frost, Timothy O'Sullivan, Mitchell Feigenbaum, Leo Kottke

Night 2: Tatanka Tyotanka (Sitting Bull), Billie Holliday, David Sedaris, Doyne Farmer

"Portion control" implies you are actually going to have portions! ~ Susan G

David Sedaris

David Sedaris is one of my favorite writers. I'm telling you, I have laughed

myself out of a depression by reading his books. Yup, he's invited for dinner

but I'll have to think about the other three.

Melissa

In food mode, I'd choose four cooks whose recipes sound as though they cook and eat the way I prefer: Bert Greene, Nathalie Dupree, Michael Field, and, if they could count as one, Jane and Michael Stern (for "Real American Food"). If not, then the delightful Irina Chalmers.

If I need a lift: Jackie Gleason, Dave Barry, Johnny Carson and Erma Bombeck.

If I need a little love: David James Elliott times four (in dress whites, please) :wub:

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

Maurice Ravel, Mark Twain, William F. Buckley Jr. and Emma Thompson.

The idea of shooting shotguns in the garden of the French Laundry with Bourdain is absolutely irresistible. Saw him a little while ago on a journey back to France where he spent part of his childhood. Quite wistful.

Edited by McDuff (log)

I used to watch Buckley's TV show when I was a kid, and I always thought that he was the Devil, what with the way he archly twinkled his eyes at his guests to try to control their minds. :raz:

Is Buckley known for being a connoiseur of fine food and wine?

Michael aka "Pan"

...........I am clearly embarassed to have forgotten Liv Tyler (in Lord of Rings get-up) as our waitress.

no no no... have her in the "one night at McCool's " get up.

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.