• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Who’s Coming to Dinner?

Ruby

Have you ever played this game? It's cute.

My personal choices would be Noel Coward, Greta Garbo, Mae West and *Oscar Wilde.(*But then I think Noel and Oscar might cancel each other out with their repartee and witticisms.) Or how about dinner with Eleanor Roosevelt, Marlene Dietrich, John F. Kennedy and Dorothy Parker.

Who would you have dinner with?

Do they have to be dead people? I'd choose Fran Lebowitz and Dorothy Parker, for sure, and Frank Zappa and John Lennon; only one of these people is still alive.

But of course, then you get into the question of where and what you'd eat. Lennon would probably want sashimi or shaved fish, and would probably bring Yoko along. And then what about vegetarians or other ideologues? What a can of worms you've opened here!

Jesus (I wanna know how to do what he did), Elvis (used to be sexy, nice voice, I'll let y'all know if he's really dead) Louie Anderson (funny, plus I like eating with people who like food) and Kennebunk man (tho I bet he has atrocious table manners.

Of course, I'd have to have a month's worth of these dinners to meet everyone I'd like to.

(Edited by Lily at 5:17 pm on Oct. 19, 2001)

Albert Einstein, Howard Hughes, Gene Roddenberry, and Jimi Hendrix.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Quote: from Rosie on 2:51 pm on Oct. 22, 2001

I still vote for Andy. Everyone is always teasing him and I hope to enlarge  my halo! ; )

Thanks Rosie, I am feeling quite out numbered by as the lone Englishmen against all these overpaid, overweight and (thankfully) over there middle class professional American males taking pot shots across the pond.

My choice would be:

Richard Burton

Peter Langan (of Langans Brasserie fame)

Jeffery Bernard (British journalist)

Shane McGowan (musician and former lead singer of the Pogues)

Rosie, you probably wouldn't want to be in on this as I've chosen the four biggest soaks in recent British history. My plan would be a pre-lunch snifter, starting around about 10.00am, a bite to eat at around 1.00pm. Finish lunch just in time for a pre-dinner drinky poos, a bite to eat at around 9.00pm, finishing off around 1.00am in time for a few nightcaps in Soho, then back home sometime the following week, barring arrests and other unforseen circumstances. The only trouble being I've no idea of any of them would actually be interested in their food. A small detail, you've got to let your hair down once in a while haven't you.    

Quote: from Jason Perlow on 7:30 pm on Oct. 21, 2001

Really? was he like that early on in his fame?

Well, no; supposedly when he was younger he was quite charming, knowledgeable, and debonair. When I first heard about him, however, was in my 6th grade psychology class, and there was quite a bit of classroom discussion - as well as some magazine articles about him - centering around this rich eccentric who had gone right over the edge.

Now, they have whole chapters written about him in psychology texts when they start studying OCD (obsessive-compulsive disorder).

(Edited by franklanguage at 12:27 am on Oct. 23, 2001)

Well, I wouldn't want to have dinner with Jesus given what happened the last time he sat down to supper ... :)

My dinner companions are famous only to me, my relatives that have passed on. I would love to sit down to the Thanksgiving dinners of my youth and collect the wisdom of my father and grandparents.

Quote: from Andy Lynes on 6:14 pm on Oct. 22, 2001

I am feeling quite out numbered by as the lone Englishmen against all these overpaid, overweight and (thankfully) over there middle class professional American males taking pot shots across the pond.

My choice would be:

Richard Burton

Peter Langan (of Langans Brasserie fame)

Jeffery Bernard (British journalist)

Shane McGowan (musician and former lead singer of the Pogues)

Rosie, you probably wouldn't want to be in on this as I've chosen the four biggest soaks in recent British history.

Andy, you're not the only Brit in the vicinity, and I have had the experience of drinking with Shane MacGowan (before he acquired an Irish accent) and in close proximity to the late Mr Bernard.  May I just say, you must be mad.

I have two dinner party fantasies, reflecting two aspects of my character.  I can't see any point mixing them up:

1.  William Blake, Friedrich Nietzsche, Martin Heidegger and Marcel Proust (with a tri-lingual waiter to help translate).

2.  Katie Holmes, Michelle Rodriguez, Clare Danes and Winona Ryder.  I will do the translating there.

(Edited by Wilfrid at 4:49 pm on Oct. 26, 2001)

• 2 years later...
Jesus (I wanna know how to do what he did)

You could skip the wine and just order water :)

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.