• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dhoklas

Swati

Thanx, but I am looking for a recipe right from scratch without using mixes

Swati,

I have the recipe and pictures that we took a few days ago. I wil post it ASAP.

Cheers.

I don't know if Monica has a recipe in her cookbook, so you may want to have a look.

Suneeta has a good one based on cream of wheat in her cookbook, on page 26, that I've actually done, with excellent results.

I don't know if Monica has a recipe in her cookbook, so you may want to have a look.

Suneeta has a good one based on cream of wheat in her cookbook, on page 26, that I've actually done, with excellent results.

Monica has a recipe for dholkas in her Easy Indian Cooking for Today cookbook, Page 83

I haven't tried making them yet, so cant make a comment on how the recipe comes out...

• 9 months later...
What kind of seeds are sprinkled on top of traditional Dhokla?

Those are mustard seeds after being tempered with oil and a few curry leaves

And sometimes white sesame seeds too. To make your dhoklas moist and soft add a little water to the tempering.

dhokla.jpg

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com

gallery_13297_949_1233.jpg

My dokla - either I'm not as good a photographer or cook as  Episure (or maybe both :shock: )

Both versions look great. Local places (Atlanta, GA) seem to use some fresh cilantro on top as well.

Can you pee in the ocean?

Bague, Your dhoklas look perfect and I'm sure they taste great.

I prefer a tempering of chopped curry leaves, mustard seeds, sesame seeds and lots of fresh corainder leaves. For those who find the latter 'soapy' use parsley instead.

Ravum, please post your recipe of soaked dal dhoklas.

Here's my recipe:

1/2 cup toovar/moong/chana dal

1/4" ginger

1 - 3 green chillies

hing

sugar

salt

Lemon juice/sour yogurt

1/2 tsp fuit salt/ 1/4 tsp baking soda

Soak the dal for 4 hours.Grind to a paste with ginger,green chillies, hing,salt, sugar (traditional, but I omit it).If you are using sour yogurt,use that to grind,or use water.

If using water,add lemon juice.Taste the batter for salt,sourness and heat.It should definitely be a little sour so that the soda/fuit salt works properly.The consistency of the batter should be like idli batter.

Bring water to boil in a cooker/steamer.Grease a flat tray well.Mix the fruit salt/soda with a tsp of oil to a milky solution.Add this to the batter and mix well ,but gently.

Pour into the tray and steam till a skewer comes out clean (approx 10-15 mins)

Tadka - mustard,green chillies,white sesame seeds,cilantro leaves and 1/2 a cup of water.Coconut sprinkled on top.

You can add grated carrots,cabbage,chopped onions,methi leaves etc to this batter.I also like to use tomato puree to grind.

Soak the dal for 4 hours.Grind to a paste with ginger,green chillies, hing,salt, sugar (traditional, but I omit it).If you are using sour yogurt,use that to grind,or use water.

If using water,add lemon juice.Taste the batter for salt,sourness and heat.It should definitely be a little sour so that the soda/fuit salt works properly.The consistency of the batter should be like  idli batter.

ravum, for the uninitiated, please explain what is the ratio of dal to water. Even an approximate ratio will do, as right now I dont have any idea. I dont even know what an idli batter should look like.

Thanks

ravum, for the uninitiated, please explain what is the ratio of dal to water. Even an approximate ratio will do, as right now I dont have any idea. I dont even know what an idli batter should look like.

bong,have never measured the water and so dont want to give precise measurements. Will try and explain how batter should look like.It should be about the consistency of a pancake batter.Slightly thinner than a bhajia batter,but not very runny either.A little extra/less water wont make too great a difference

Grease a flat tray well.Mix the fruit salt/soda with a tsp of oil to a milky solution.Add this to the batter and mix well ,but gently.

Ravum,

Thanks for the recipe.

I've always used water for this mixing so I have a couple of unfounded doubts:

1] Wont the oil isolate the aerating agents?

2] Wont it be easier to disperse this evenly with an aqueous solution than oil?

Maybe I should try this before asking but I'm hoping that you may have tried both methods.

Edited by Episure (log)

• 2 weeks later...
I've always used water for this mixing so I have a couple of unfounded doubts:

1] Wont the oil isolate the aerating agents?

2] Wont it be easier to disperse this evenly with an aqueous solution than oil?

Maybe I should try this before asking but I'm hoping that you may have tried both methods.

Episure,saw this just now,sorry for the delay in replying.I have tried both methods and it doesnt seem to make much of a difference.The only thing to remember if using water is that if the water is too warm,the soda reacts with it immediately and then the batter doesnt rise as much.

I mentioned the oil method as thats how I was taught and was remainnig faithful to the original recipe.

Thanks for the info, I was actually hoping that your method may have been an improvement. Nevertheless in the pursuit of kitchen science, I shall try both methods when I am next making a Gujarati meal.

Another question -What do you all call Undhiyu Papdi (Beans) in US?

Thanks for the info, I was actually hoping that your method may have been an improvement. Nevertheless in the pursuit of kitchen science, I shall try both methods when I am next making a Gujarati meal.

Another question -What do you all call Undhiyu Papdi (Beans) in US?

I have only seen them called papdi. The only places that have them are Indian groceries.

Edward Hamann

Cooking Teacher

Indian Cooking

edhamann@hotmail.com

They are called papdi here even in our regular grocery store (which stocks a very good selection of ethnic veggies).The frozen papdi from Indian groceries was too stringy...anyone have any luck with it?