• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[SEA] Baguette Box

This sunday, we (boyfriend and I) stopped by Baguette Box - its probably our 5th or 6th visit. We have a routine - we share 2 sandwiches: one is always the drunken chicken (oh, how I love thee drunken chicken), and then we try one of other sandwiches. This time, the other was the braised pork with roasted red pepper (I think we have a 2nd favorite now).

So, even though we really like Baguette Box, we have wondered if the bread had to be so darned crunchy. And yesterday, it wasn't so darned crunchy. Still great bread, just a little less likely to scrape the roof of your mouth. Anybody else noticed this? I am hoping it is a shift to less rigorous bread, not just a fluke.

Robin Tyler McWaters

• 4 months later...

Cam and I finally made it to Baguette Box over the weekend. We didn't get there until 3ish, and they were out of a LOT of stuff -- including meatballs :sad: -- but they've added new items to their menu... mostly side dishes. They now have fries (regular or truffle-oiled!) plus a number of other things that sounded good at the time but escape my memory now (perhaps potato salad?). The menu now says "Bahn Mi coming soon" as well.

I had the drunken crispy chicken. My sandwich was utterly overstuffed -- I took out almost half of the meat in order to be able to pick it up and eat it like a sandwich. Really, easily, it could have had a third to half less meat and been plenty. The chicken was nicely breaded and then covered in a sweet, gingery sauce -- like dry-fried chicken -- and then put in the baguette with a little bit of lettuce and just enough cilantro. It was a tiny bit too saucy for my preference, but well within the bounds of reason.

Cam's Salumi sandwich had just the opposite problem: Not much salumi... and frankly not much else. It would be a perfectly respectable european-style $2 baguette, but it was almost the same price as my chicken with about 1/4 of the meat.

We split an order of (untruffled) fries; they were a tad overdone but tasty... more like typical rustic skin-on fries than, say, the fries at the Belgian Frijtes place.

We paid close to $20 for 2 sandwiches, an order of fries, and 2 bottles of Pellegrino. The space, while spare, was nicely done and has a cute little view over I-5 toward Queen Anne.

I definitely want to go back and try the meatball!

~A

edited for a typo

Edited by ScorchedPalate (log)

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

Cam and I finally made it to Baguette Box over the weekend. We didn't get there until 3ish, and they were out of a LOT of stuff -- including meatballs  :sad: -- but they've added new items to their menu... mostly side dishes. They now have fries (regular or truffle-oiled!) plus a number of other things that sounded good at the time but escape my memory now (perhaps potato salad?).

The boyfriend and I ordered potato salad the last time we visited. It's really more like boiled potatoes coated with mustard sauce--ok, but it doesn't hold together like a potato salad.

I really like the chorizo baguette. The amount of sausage is ridiculously small compared to the bread, but the sausage is so good I don't care. I also noticed a special of pork ear the last time I was there.

Now I want to try the fries!

anyone else try the pork ear?

i like to think i'm pretty open to stuff, and i don't get grossed out. but that was just unpleasant to eat. it's mostly cartilage, and a weird mix of slimy and elastic. the seasoning was great, but i would've preferred tongue.

the sandwiches are generally addictive, though.

• 2 weeks later...

So I picked up three sandwiches while in town last week: the gravlax; one featuring salumi meat (can't remember exactly what type of meat, but the sandwich had cilantro and carrots so it was like a banh mi but with cured meat); and lastly the drunken chicken. Overall we liked them all, though I didn't think any of them were that memorable, and I really think they were stingy with the fillings. I like the flavors in the gravlax, but there was hardly any fish. The salumi one was fine, but again....very little meat. And the drunken chicken---this tasted like Chinese-American sweet and sour chicken stuck in a baguette to me. not at all what I expected it to be and not something I'd order again i don't think.....

• 10 months later...

it's been much too long so went to BB for lunch today. I had the drunken chicken and I really liked it. Tons of chicken makes it a bit messy but I really enjoyed the sauce with cilantro. The bread is so much better now.

Dayne had the roasted pork which was also very good, his seemed a bit smaller than mine but not by much.

Hours are 11-8pm 7 days a week now