• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Canneles

foodie3

made n. silverton's canneles today in my rosette pan; after an hour and 20 mins at 400F it produced a superb crust and a rich soft interior - better results than with m. roux's recipe.

did they rise?

Mike

The Dairy Show

Special Edition 3-In The Kitchen at Momofuku Milk Bar

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I've been to Bordeaux and had the Canneles and yours look great. Another example of the depth of talented people that visit this site.

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

is there any chance that you could pass on the recipes for the regular and chocolate caneles?

thanks

There are a few threads relating to these. (Different spelling are used by different people.) Here's one that has a few recipes for regular as well as a recipe for the chocolate ones.

Link to cannele recipes topic on eGullet

jayne

thanks jayne. i found the paula wolfert recipe eventually, which sounds like what i'm looking for - crunchy, crusty and caramelly outside and custardy inside, but which is the chocoale canele recipe i am looking for? or does the addition of chocolate/cocoa significantly alter the ultimate texture of the canele?

caneles have been one of those elusive things for me - most of the recipes i have tried have been more cakelike (not there was anything wrong with them), but having tried the original in france, i want nothing but something close to authentic. this is one of the very few recipes where i have been so persistent in trying to attain perfection. i want to know the secret!!!! i have looked at paula's recipe and now have the batter sitting in the fridge and will report back to let you know....the perfect chocolate canele recipe is now what i'm looking for.

thanks for your help.

lynn

• 10 months later...

I just made two batches of Canneles this weekend and everyone loved them. I used Michel Roux's recipe.

One issue I had is that the bottoms of the canneles were not flat. I am using silpat molds and baked them according to the recipe (400 degrees F). I tried the second batch at 350 for 20 minutes before raising the temperature but that didn't help much.

Any ideas. Besides the lopsided bottoms (they actually puffed rounded out of the molds), they were delicious!

Thanks,

Jeff