• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

kitchen science

I love your approach to kitchen science (and if Mr. Wizard was still around, I’m sure he’d be a big fan). How do you go about doing the research for the science for each show? Which (if any) written sources do you consult? And do you have a creative team that helps you come up with the visual ways to illustrate the concepts or are we getting to see how Alton Brown's mind really works? Also some shows go into the history and/or the anthropology of a food. What makes you decide to include that kind of information in some shows and not in others?

Emily

My research coordinator and I read (or try to read) just about everything about food science from professional journals to books to papers published on the internet. We also talk to a lot of people who specialize in fields from yeast to meat, dairy science to fish breeding.

As for translating the information to illustrations that work on TV, that's usually my doing. It is in fact, my only real talent.

I'm sorry that I can't give a list of publications...there are just so many.