• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

West Lake Seafood Chinese Restarant in Aberdeen

TotallyNutz

Hello everyone

Hubby and I will be finally moving to Aberdeen this weekend and we were wondering if anyone has been West Lake Chinese Restaurant in Aberdeen on Route 34. We both fiending for some good dim sum and it's so hard to get to Chinatown early enough for the stuff. Any comments and recs would be appreciated.

Amy

Hi, I'm not sure where Aberdeen is but you should have no trouble finding terrific dim sum in the central and northern parts of the state.

My favorites around here (Edison) are the 1-9 Seafood Restaurant on the southbound side of Route 1-9 in Avenel and the Wonder Seafood Restaurant in Edison on Route 27. Both of these places easily match most NYC Chinatown places for quality. (although at higher prices)

There is also a whole, seprate world of great Chinese food on Route 46 up north towards the George Washington Bridge. Look for threads about the incredible China 46 restaurant for more on that area.

However....however...try the West Lake, try these places and try a few more that we haven't yet heard of and report back. With any luck, your place will be the best of all.

Brian Yarvin

My Webpage

There is a great Szechuan restaurant in the shopping center at Lloyd Rd. and Rt. 34, it is called Great Szechuan and it consistantly gets positive reviews. I have been there dozens of times and have yet to be disappointed. They have two menus, Americanized and one authentic, go with the authentic casseroles, grouper and garlic with tofu......oh my!

I actually ask the owner, Tom Shen, to make me whatever he thinks is good, he is a great guy who really takes pride in his work. We are going there tomorrow night, can't wait.

Hi Jay-bob

I have seen Great Szechuan when I go to the Stop and Shop. I had discounted the place because it looked kind of shabby. I'll try it out on your glowing recommendations. Thanks.

Amy

Jay-Bob is right on, Great Szechuan has excellent very authentic food. So authentic, you may not like it :biggrin:

Also a short walk to the next strip mall is MAHZU which is about the best Japanese in Central NJ. Wonderful sushi and sushimi

Tom

Tom D