• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Key Limes and Pie

Does anyone know where I can get fresh Key Limes?

Any good recipes for Key Lime Pie?

Thanks for your help.

"I dreamed last night, oh marvelous error,

That there are honey bees in my heart

Making honey out of my old failures" - Antonio Machado

A suggestion: don't even consider using actual key limes. They are tiny, and a royal pain to squeeze. You will drive yourself crazy. There are reputable brands of bottled key lime juice on the market, available at the stores already mentioned and other fancy food shops.

As for a recipe, the best one I know is the simplest:

1/2 cup lime juice

One 14-ounce can of sweetened condensed milk

One 8- or 9-inch graham cracker crust

Whipped cream, optional

Persian lime slices or zest curls, optional

Mix juice and milk thoroughly. Pour into crust. Cover with plastic wrap. Freeze. Garnish with whipped cream and Persian lime slices or zest, if you like. Serve. Accept compliments graciously.

Variations, all of which are nice but do not make it any better:

Add 3 egg yolks and bake at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes; let cool before refrigerating.

Substitute reduced-fat or fat-free sweetened condensed milk.

Add grated lime zest to the filling.

Use a different crust -- as long as it does not require baking (even if you're doing the egg yolk version).

Nellie and Joe's makes a fine bottled juice. They are out of Key West and their products are available elsewhere and by mail. They have a particularly useful website with FAQ's (scroll down to the bottom of the page) that are very helpful if you have never made the pies before. There are also some pretty interesting recipes on the site.

Hope this helps.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I haven't yet been driven crazy by using fresh key limes, but maybe it's because what I've bought here -- even though tiny -- have been very ripe, soft and juicy. In any case, this is the recipe that I use. I love this recipe. I don't always put whipped cream on top, though.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

I've made Key Lime Pie both ways - with fresh squeezed juice and with the Nellie & Joe's bottled stuff. I could not tell the difference nor could anyone else who ate it. This, of course, is based on the small and very hard to squeeze fresh Key Limes available here in the Northeast. I've actually been using the juice on some other cooking experiments lately as the acidic element of some sauces and really enjoying the unique tang that it adds.

For me (and I'm from south florida, so I've had my share) the best key lime pie consists of egg yolks, sweetened condensed milk, and key lime juice. Just mixed and poured into the shell--not baked. I don't believe that there is any salmonella risk because of the acidity of the pie, but I have no evidence to support this claim.

I've been making Key Lime Pie at least once a week for the past several months. Am staying with my parents temporarily and it's my father's favorite.

You can buy the key limes in a green net bag at most grocery stores with a decent produce selection. They're the ones from Mexico, as stated above, but are the same thing. I actually have had a much harder time finding bottled juice than the fresh limes. It's not that hard to squeeze the small limes if you pop them into the microwave for a few seconds before you squeeze them. The heat of the microwave breaks down the juice pods and the juice practically pours out.

I use a recipe that calls for 1/2 cup lime juice, but we like it much more tart than that, so we add several additional tablespoons of juice to 1 can SCM. And I prefer the texture with the egg yolks, so I use three of them. Then into the graham cracker pie shell and into a 350 oven for just about ten minutes or so to help it set. Allow to cool for about 15 minutes and then into the fridge to chill.

To top, I combine whipped cream with some sugar to taste, a tsp or so of good vanilla, and a Tbls or so of dark rum. I use Meyers.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I've had great success with Nellie & Joe's, but the Manhattan brand is now my favorite. We always use whipped cream as a topping, though I also like meringue.

I also make a version which calls for separating the eggs adn beating the yolks until stiff, then folding in the egg yolk/juice/condensed milk mixture. Pour into prepared shell and freeze. Fantastic in the summer, when a frozen pie is so refreshing.

... the Manhattan brand is now my favorite.

In case anyone is interested: The phone number for Manhattan is provided in the link that is part of my post above. I've never used it. That recipe was the only time I had heard of the Manhattan brand... good to hear someone's recommendation.

The recipe which I linked is much like what most of you are describing. The difference of opinion I usually hear discussed is whether, authenticly, the topping is meringue, whipped cream, or neither.

All this Key Lime talk, I think I better go buy a bag of them today, and make a pie! That would be the perfect dessert for this beautiful Memorial Day. I hope everybody is enjoying a safe and happy holiday.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.